PG shutting down several projects

wareyore

HDCOTY 2023
https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=10333#165213

1695232254395.png

Last edited:
Can't answer. But asking for a base line here.
Any OC on any element of the system? Any software programs in use that modify system performance specs? A reset of the BIOS or better yet a clear CMOS and see results? System clean of dust and is the CPU pasted correct and is GPU/RAM seated well? How old is the PS and does it have ample headroom for the system? Have you tried another PS?
;)

Can't answer. But asking for a base line here.
Any OC on any element of the system? Any software programs in use that modify system performance specs? A reset of the BIOS or better yet a clear CMOS and see results? System clean of dust and is the CPU pasted correct and is GPU/RAM seated well? How old is the PS and does it have ample headroom for the system? Have you tried another PS?
;)
Um, what?

Just asking a base line to rule out basic system problems. A problem with that?
My bad if this isn't a PC/random error and something software specific that isn't part of my PC helpings.
It is kind of off topic unless this is a BOINC box and you are running PrimeGrid with it. But all the things you mentioned are good starting points. Running stress test apps can also be good like running Prime95 and memtest86++.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to come in here and mention how quiet it has been lately and that we only had a little less than 6 days until the next challenge. I'm glad they are finally cutting off PPS-Sieve. It was argued long ago that it was stupid to keep it going as it was merely to keep the point whores happy. I would normally be sad to see fewer options at a project but since this is all mathematics that have virtually no potential end to them....I'm less worried about the project as a whole.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to come in here and mention how quiet it has been lately and that we only had a little less than 6 days until the next challenge. I'm glad they are finally cutting off PPS-Sieve. It was argued long ago that it was stupid to keep it going as it was merely to keep the point whores happy. I would normally be sad to see fewer options at a project but since this is all mathematics that have virtually no potential end to them....I'm less worried about the project as a whole.
They have a challenge going now. It started a few days ago. Which starts next week?

Just asking a base line to rule out basic system problems. A problem with that?
My bad if this isn't a PC/random error and something software specific that isn't part of my PC helpings.
I think you misposted in the wrong thread...?

They have a challenge going now. It started a few days ago. Which starts next week?
Well crap...I was thinking I read that as how long until it started...guess I won't be much help since SOB's and all...

Some changes made to the sub-project ending schedule as of today:

wareyore , might want to update the first post.

BTW, is "PPS-MEGA" is "MEGA" sub-project in the project preference? Found my own answer. Yes it is.
1695070960185.png

• October 4th: (Previously announced) The CPU portion of PPS-Sieve will be shut off.
  • October 19th: PPS-MEGA will be turned off. See Edit #1 below.
  • October November 15th: GFN-15 is very small compared to the computing power of today's computers, and it's no longer eligible for the Top 5000 Primes list.
  • November December 15th: SGS has succeeded in its goals of finding an SGS pair and a twin pair at n=1290000 and will be shut down. It's possible we may start a new SGS search at a higher n sometime in the future.
  • December 15th: PPSE is exceptionally unlikely to ever find a Fermat divisor, is very small, and is no longer eligible for the Top 5000 Primes list.
  • January 15th, or 30 days after CW-Sieve ends, whichever is later: The GPU portion of PPS-Sieve. This sieve has advanced very far ahead of the PPS projects, and the sieving being done today won't be needed for many years. This sieve is being suspended until more work is needed. In the future it is possible that we may sieve a small subset of k's currently being sieved.
  • March 15th, or 60 days after CW-Sieve ends, whichever is later: AP27 has achieved its goal of finding an AP27 and will shut down. It's extremely unlikely that we will find an AP 28 with the current hardware and software.

Last edited:
Back