PC in looping. So no one knows what’s causing this?

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
Okay my pc crashed about 4 or 5 days ago. Was going to check psu. But someone here said to check battery on MB. I replace it. Everything seem fine. Pc booted. It ran for about a day. I fell a sleep. Woke up to the pc would boot. Then crash. I got into the BIOS and seconds later it crash I could do nothing. Could it be memory? So you know about a year ago I had 32 gig of memory. It crash then and now I’m at 16 gig.

Thank you for any help.

about a year ago I had 32 gig of memory. It crash then and now I’m at 16 gig.

Well that's definitely suspicious...

How many memory modules? I would put one in at a time until it boots. It should run fine with just one module for testing purposes, it will just be single-channel. Once you get to the point where it actually boots beyond the bios, run memtest and swap modules to see if there are any bad modules. If all modules test okay, then it might be a motherboard problem (memory slots or traces) or even a CPU issue (memory controller is on the CPU).

Funny thing. I today decided to check memory. I have 2 sticks. Took one out and the pc booted normal. So I swap out and put second stick in. It to booted normal. Now I have both installed and it booted normal again. WTH.

Well that wasn’t long lived. I was backing up stuff. I stop and took a b break. Come back pc back in look again. So I took 1 stick out tried again no good kept rebooting. Next swap out and the second stick in still rebooting. Didn’t get a chance to do mem test. Hard to looks at a YT video to remember. So I am assuming it’s not the memory. I’ll give sometime and try again.

Thank you

Hello,
I did a memory test. Both sticks made it thru the test. But when it came time for it to reboot, it just sat at a not so black screen. 20 minutes. The pc running but nothing. I did a control-alt-delete. The pc rebooks and is running but no report. Nothing is fix still. So why would it not reboot after test?

I hope some one can help me.

Thank you

Well that's definitely suspicious...

How many memory modules? I would put one in at a time until it boots. It should run fine with just one module for testing purposes, it will just be single-channel. Once you get to the point where it actually boots beyond the bios, run memtest and swap modules to see if there are any bad modules. If all modules test okay, then it might be a motherboard problem (memory slots or traces) or even a CPU issue (memory controller is on the CPU).

Just to completely rule out the RAM not wanting to work in dual channel mode, can you set the timings on the RAM to something more conservative? It could be that your RAM may be marginally good enough to run in dual channel mode, and that as time progressed, it could have degraded just enough to start choking in such mode.

Hello,
I did a memory test. Both sticks made it thru the test. But when it came time for it to reboot, it just sat at a not so black screen. 20 minutes. The pc running but nothing. I did a control-alt-delete. The pc rebooks and is running but no report. Nothing is fix still. So why would it not reboot after test?

I hope some one can help me.

Thank you
I would suspect:
1. GPU (try using other driver)
2. Your bios settings (you may try to set the bios to default and try to boot again to windows)
3. PSU (if you have other / spare PSU, you can try it)
4. ram slot on mobo (preferable to install each stick on A2 and B2). to test point 1 ~ 3, install 1 stick only to slot B2.

Don’t understand the timing thing. Never tried to change timing in all these years. So how do I do it? I can say this. When I have both sticks in and boot it. It can run for 2 to say 9 or 10 hours then crash in to a boot loop. Now right after it crashes I take one stick out it will just go into boot loop. But say I try the next day it will boot fine with both sticks installed or just one stick. But after about 9 hours or so of running. It crashes into loop again. I can wait a day again and it boots.

Just to completely rule out the RAM not wanting to work in dual channel mode, can you set the timings on the RAM to something more conservative? It could be that your RAM may be marginally good enough to run in dual channel mode, and that as time progressed, it could have degraded just enough to start choking in such mode.

What happens when you put a stick in B2? And would the bios go back to default when the battery died? With first crashed I replaced the battery. Knew it was going.

I would suspect:
1. GPU (try using other driver)
2. Your bios settings (you may try to set the bios to default and try to boot again to windows)
3. PSU (if you have other / spare PSU, you can try it)
4. ram slot on mobo (preferable to install each stick on A2 and B2). to test point 1 ~ 3, install 1 stick only to slot B2.

is this your sig system? if so, start by replacing the cmos battery and doing a good bios clear(leave battery out, disconnect power and hit the power button, sit 5min). config the bios but leave ram at default speeds and see how it acts.

Already did that. You remember you told me what battery to use.

is this your sig system? if so, start by replacing the cmos battery and doing a good bios clear(leave battery out, disconnect power and hit the power button, sit 5min). config the bios but leave ram at default speeds and see how it acts.

Already did that. You remember you told me what battery to use.
nope, thats the problem with having multiple threads going for one problem system and i missed that part in this threads op... sounds like the. board and/or ram is crapping out. might just be time for an upgrade.

Why would the other member tell me to put 1 stick into slot B2.

nope, thats the problem with having multiple threads going for one problem system and i missed that part in this threads op... sounds like the. board and/or ram is crapping out. might just be time for an upgrade.

Why would the other member tell me to put 1 stick into slot B2.
to see if it works? a2+b2 are usually the primary slots, even though they are usually the second and fourth slots.
1689952083725.png

I think I found the problem. I had it running for over 2 hours. It crashed. I heard a noise from around the psu. And the psu was very hot. The other times it crash I was not in the room. So I am assuming the psu is done.

one way to find out....

I finally figure out what was wrong with my old pc. Wasn't the PSU. I got it running about a month or so ago. I would only run on 1 - 8gb stick. But I didn't trust it to do much. Not en ought memory. I did decide to buy 2 sticks of 8 gb 1866. Gskill. It worked and run it all day and nite. So I bought 2 more sticks and just put them in. Running fine.

Question. XMP, will it work with any brand of memory? When I put the Gskill 2 sticks in the pc would just keep rebooting. I shut it off in the bios. I right now have 32 gb of ram in the pc running. I don't want to turn XMP on if it will screw the new memory over.

Thank you

I finally figure out what was wrong with my old pc. Wasn't the PSU. I got it running about a month or so ago. I would only run on 1 - 8gb stick. But I didn't trust it to do much. Not en ought memory. I did decide to buy 2 sticks of 8 gb 1866. Gskill. It worked and run it all day and nite. So I bought 2 more sticks and just put them in. Running fine.

Question. XMP, will it work with any brand of memory? When I put the Gskill 2 sticks in the pc would just keep rebooting. I shut it off in the bios. I right now have 32 gb of ram in the pc running. I don't want to turn XMP on if it will screw the new memory over.

Thank you
You want to have a matching set of memory. Ideally even going as far as coming out of the same package. If they come in different packages there is a chance of slight variance even if it's the same model. Meaning try to run the EXACT SAME model (same batch preferably) RAM installed in your PC.
I would never mix and match ram kits as a general rule of thumb.

Back