Out with 2023

Toconator

Gawd
And by out I mean flame-out : Server packed it in yesterday. Seems the Xeon failed, 5 BIOS beeps on startup. Had a flaky bout a couple weeks ago after a Windows update, then it corrupted the boot sector after a reboot yesterday and while troubleshooting it started the 5 beeps. Clear CMOS, battery removal, reseating CPU all failed. Was my main WCG contributor as it's on 24/7 (or was). I can move the GPU to another rig for folding but looks like I'll be shopping for a used Skylake or Kabylake CPU unless I upgrade the whole thing. Then there's Server OS install and setup, etc. Might be 1 rig down for the upcoming challenge next month. Oh well, Happy New Year Horde. May 2024 be better for us all ...

And by out I mean flame-out : Server packed it in yesterday. Seems the Xeon failed, 5 BIOS beeps on startup. Had a flaky bout a couple weeks ago after a Windows update, then it corrupted the boot sector after a reboot yesterday and while troubleshooting it started the 5 beeps. Clear CMOS, battery removal, reseating CPU all failed. Was my main WCG contributor as it's on 24/7 (or was). I can move the GPU to another rig for folding but looks like I'll be shopping for a used Skylake or Kabylake CPU unless I upgrade the whole thing. Then there's Server OS install and setup, etc. Might be 1 rig down for the upcoming challenge next month. Oh well, Happy New Year Horde. May 2024 be better for us all ...
How old was the xeon server when you first had it?

I sold off all my xeons except Broadwell-E (6900K). I used to have SB, IB and Haswell xeons a few years back. They were a beast back then and when AMD released its first 16/32 core desktop cpu (3950x) I migrated and save me a lot of power. Unless you are into primegrid project or needs good avx instruction set, the 3950x system can be built (MB+RAM+CPU) for less than $400, probably closer to $350 if you patientlyscout around for bargain.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you to you and hope to see you in the May pentathlon.

How old was the xeon server when you first had it?

I sold off all my xeons except Broadwell-E (6900K). I used to have SB, IB and Haswell xeons a few years back. They were a beast back then and when AMD released its first 16/32 core desktop cpu (3950x) I migrated and save me a lot of power. Unless you are into primegrid project or needs good avx instruction set, the 3950x system can be built (MB+RAM+CPU) for less than $400, probably closer to $350 if you patientlyscout around for bargain.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you to you and hope to see you in the May pentathlon.
Hey pututu, built it brand new in late 2016 or early 2017. Had been rock solid for 24/7/365 until now. Heh, no magic smoke or anything - just failure upon a simple reboot. The Xeon was 4C/8T so only 77W TDP which isnt too bad. Used it for MKV and Handbrake back when my 3770K was my main machine but it's mostly just had 6 threads dedicated to WCG and streamed music or the odd movie to the HTPC for last few years and parked backup files from the LAN. I access the music very often and have already moved that drive to another rig but am considering the next step. Either find a used CPU (there's a local guy selling a crap Dell PC with a compatible Xeon in it for a measly C$120) or build a new rig and maybe, just maybe finally dipping my toes into a Linux Server but that would raise a bunch more questions and I'd have to ask to pick a few brains from the Linux-Geek Horde members if I go that route. Been a Windows guy since 95 and had a couple courses towards MCSE back in the NT4 days and have set up many Servers up until Server 2008R2 so that's my comfort zone.

Back