Obduction Is The Spiritual Successor To Myst

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The creators of Myst and Riven are returning to their roots with Obduction, which originated as a Kickstarter title back in 2013.

Those who've played Myst or Riven will immediately recognize the familiarity of Obduction. While players must still try to find their way home, the new title features a bit of a sci-fi theme this time around, with the character having been abducted by a mysterious being and the open world including a bit of an alien landscape. The developer has gone completely 3D this time around, so there's likely to be a lot less tedious clicking around the screen to figure out what to do next.

Haven't played the other 2, but this looks pretty damn immersive. Like the scenery a lot.

I think "The Witness" did a good job covering this genre recently, nice to see that coming back in style as of late.

Ugh, the Myst series is one of the most painful and frustrating type of games. However, it is also one of the most rewarding when (if) you figure it out! There goes my sanity come June! That game looks bad ass!

Haven't played the other 2, but this looks pretty damn immersive. Like the scenery a lot.

The visuals in Myst and Riven were amazing, they made the games special. The puzzles were wonderfully esoteric, to the point that people who weren't obsessed with puzzles found them to be incredibly frustrating.

My general rule is: If you like properly hard crosswords, then you'll like the puzzles in Myst and Riven.

I am going to assume that this game is not going to come out for consoles. That is a shame as I remember the days of playing Myst on a Intel 386/33mhz processor and later being amazed when playing it on my 486/66/DX2. These days I barely have time to game on a console let alone trying to get into PC gaming again.

Looking forward to buying & playing Obduction when released. This looks more like an expansion on Uru: Ages Beyond Myst instead of original Myst or Riven. A remake of Riven is in the process of being created at the moment also. Here is the website for it: The Starry Expanse.

Favourite games in the series list: Riven, Myst III, URU

Back