Nvme 4K video editing work.

Sepe

n00b
Hello, I have questions about purchasing a 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe for professional 4K video editing work. What is the best brand and model ideal for 4K? I've seen the 4TB Crucial Plus Nvme at a good price, but I don't know if it's ideal for video editing or if there is a better model.

-Samsung 990 4 tb?
-WD Black SN850X SSD 4TB?
-Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe 4.0 ?

Etc..

Thank you so much.

Second the WD Black recommendation. Although depending on the load you are planning, you might want to a U.2 with higher endurance?

The Samsung 990 is probably not what you want. I don't know what kind of bitrates you are working with, but most high-end Gen4 drives will be able to read at ~7 GB/s. If write speed is your concern, then there is a *lot* more variability. One of the tests I do is to try to establish the 'terminal' write speed of a drive, when it runs out of cache and other performance enhancing tricks, as it gives you somewhat of a 'worst case scenario' for drive write speed. Here is my entire benchmark database for that benchmark, if it helps.

Note, the three 3 GB/s+ results should be considered 'off the chart'. Somewhere around 3-3.1 GB/s is as fast as I can generate data for writing during this exercise; at that point I'm CPU limited, not SSD limited.

The Optane P5800X falls into that category as well. I had to test it on a different platform with a much slower CPU, so it capped out at 2 GB/s because of that. It would probably be as fast or faster than anything else I've tested for sustained write.

1708485742165.png

Last edited:
3rd. 4th, & 5th agreed on the 850x's..... I have 3 clients who do extensive video/image processing on the ones I put into their rigs when I built them in December, and each of them have repeatedly commented on how the drives makes their work so much easier, faster & more efficient.... and note that these are folks who were previously using several other brands of drives (but in 2TB models) in their rigs....

#WD4ME4EVA# :D

Back