Nvidia Geforce FX 5800 Ultra 128MB GPU

erek

[H]F Junkie
1711825172793.png

"Terratec Nvidia Geforce FX 5800 Ultra 128MB GPU Retro" https://www.ebay.com/itm/2354958799...PSCYiP7c7zqYIX+DZ+8QdhLNc=|tkp:Bk9SR6aLs4vSYw

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you run them all at once in the same room do your eardrums explode or does it herald the apocalypse
space heaters. ;)

You should get some of those shadow boxes for them.. I used these for my collection:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/of...-race-car-display-cube/12d?productId=10001594

I prop them up with little stands inside the box (the smallest one they offer): https://www.containerstore.com/s/office/craft-hobby/acrylic-plate-stands/12d?productId=10014411

Just an idea.

Reactions: Halon
like this
I fail to understand why these are "sold" for so much money... lol. There is literally nothing this card offers that you can't get with a much better 6800GT AGP card, and much quieter.

I fail to understand why these are "sold" for so much money... lol. There is literally nothing this card offers that you can't get with a much better 6800GT AGP card, and much quieter.
Nostalgia.
Same reason why some will pay $$$ for a scratchy old 78rpm Wurlitzer jukebox with bubble tubes when a phone and partybox would be louder and more detailed. ;-)

Well… other than the hallmark reputation of being Nvidia’s biggest faceplant release so far, the FX series did support a few things later cards didn't that were useful for specific legacy 3D tasks.
  • It was the last line of cards that supported palettized textures, table fog, and other features leveraged by very early titles. Those got left on the table with the pivot to modernization that NV40/the GeForce 6 series embodied (also NV40's texturing quality stank by comparison unless you manually walked back Nvidia's aggressive optimizations... they were really eager to beat ATi in the benchmarks).
  • The GeForceFX series also had an optional angle-independent anisotropic filtering implementation that looked fantastic, albeit at a sizable performance hit. I kept my 5900XT around for years because its DirectX 6 and 7 and OpenGL drivers were rock solid, and I could force antialiasing and anisotropy to nosebleed levels on my old CRT monitor. This feature was also dropped in the move to the GeForce 6 series because, again, Nvidia wanted to be on top and knew most people wouldn't care. That level of anisotropic filtering quality didn't come back until DX10 hardware landed a couple of years later.
  • The FX series also debuted a speed-optimized approximate anisotropic filtering implementation that was quick 'n dirty but offered a sizable visual quality boost over trilinear alone at a pretty minimal performance hit. That one stuck around for NV40.
  • The 5800 Ultras were weird and improbable and were the flagship for a line of cards that flat-out misbehaved in contemporary games in a way reminiscent of the first generation of 3D accelerators, and the hilarious leafblower cooler is basically tech industry kitsch.

Well… other than the hallmark reputation of being Nvidia’s biggest faceplant release so far, the FX series did support a few things later cards didn't that were useful for specific legacy 3D tasks.
  • It was the last line of cards that supported palettized textures, table fog, and other features leveraged by very early titles. Those got left on the table with the pivot to modernization that NV40/the GeForce 6 series embodied (also NV40's texturing quality stank by comparison unless you manually walked back Nvidia's aggressive optimizations... they were really eager to beat ATi in the benchmarks).
  • The GeForceFX series also had an optional angle-independent anisotropic filtering implementation that looked fantastic, albeit at a sizable performance hit. I kept my 5900XT around for years because its DirectX 6 and 7 and OpenGL drivers were rock solid, and I could force antialiasing and anisotropy to nosebleed levels on my old CRT monitor. This feature was also dropped in the move to the GeForce 6 series because, again, Nvidia wanted to be on top and knew most people wouldn't care. That level of anisotropic filtering quality didn't come back until DX10 hardware landed a couple of years later.
  • The FX series also debuted a speed-optimized approximate anisotropic filtering implementation that was quick 'n dirty but offered a sizable visual quality boost over trilinear alone at a pretty minimal performance hit. That one stuck around for NV40.
  • The 5800 Ultras were weird and improbable and were the flagship for a line of cards that flat-out misbehaved in contemporary games in a way reminiscent of the first generation of 3D accelerators, and the hilarious leafblower cooler is basically tech industry kitsch.
"FX" seems to be a curse.. massive failures.. coincidental or?

AMD Athlon FX (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FX)

and

nVidia GeForce FX (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX_series)

I never did have the FX 5800 Ultra but I did have the FX 5500 and eventually upgraded to the 6800 Ultra. That was a nice leap. Interestingly enough, the 5500 I had was the first thing I ever sold here using the FS/FT forums. And a couple months later, the 6800 Ultra was the first thing I ever bought through the FS/FT forums.

Reactions: erek
like this
Back