NPUs?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
When AMD does bring out NPUs, how likely is AMD to issue firmware updates to 7xxx series CPUs? 5xxx series CPUs? I have to assume that we will need a new motherboard.

Well, my Omega-particle-powered, quantum-phased positronic NPU has been working just fine for about 10 yrs now, and the only "motherboard" I needed was that grey stuff thats floatin around in me head :D /s

But seriously, current CPU's & GPU's are really just becoming useful for anything significant, so I think "NPU"s are a ways off...

Id love to see more creative socs then the monolithic x86 cpu, as their current fab processes seem to work well interconnecting chipplet/memory.

What makes an optimum NPU configuration architecture wise?

Ive been waiting for AMD chips with a decent sized FPGA and cache/memory pool. That could be used for accelerating a wide variety of things including neural networks (or any ridgedly defined algorithm). The "software" support doesnt exist to easily use something like that at a consumer level.

I wonder if AI acceleration would run into a similar issue with most of the software dominated by the nVidia suite. Additionally, there isn't nearly as much value to many of these workloads on a local machine. Like it or not, these models work best on a very large centralized scale with enormous amounts of data.

Back