Nintendo Switch NextGen performance to "align" with gen 8 consoles (Xbone, PS4, Steam Deck)

Marees

2[H]4U

Activision was briefed on Nintendo’s Switch 2 last year​

Activision executives met with Nintendo in December to discuss plans for a next-generation Switch, which is described as closer to PS4 / Xbox One performance.​

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/18/23878412/nintendo-switch-2-activision-briefing-next-gen-switch

Activision executives, including CEO Bobby Kotick, met with Nintendo executives in December 2022 to discuss a next-generation Switch. In an internal email chain, Chris Schnakenberg, head of Activision’s platform strategy and partner relations, prepared a summary of the “Switch NG” (Switch next-generation) inside a document labeled “NG Switch Draft.pdf.”
The document is heavily redacted, but it does reveal that performance of the next-generation Switch will be close to that of the PS4 and Xbox One:

Given the closer alignment to Gen8 platforms in terms of performance and our previous offerings on PS4 / Xbox One, it is reasonable to assume we could make something compelling for the NG Switch as well. It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early.

The Xbox One is 10 years old. I miss when Nintendo used to put effort into creating their hardware.

The Xbox One is 10 years old. I miss when Nintendo used to put effort into creating their hardware.
Seems like they will use a power efficient revision of Samsung's 8nm & 10 SMs. That could put it between the steam deck & the z1 extreme in the rog ally.

Less portable and more console please. Base PS4 performance this day and age is pathetic.

The last time they did that it resulted in the worst selling console Nintendo ever made, if by "effort" you mean competing with Sony and Microsoft.

The first switch used around 10-11W docked, 9w at max brightness undocked.
XboxOne idle at 50w, PS4 play at 130-150 watt

There is no maximum amount of effort that a system like that can require depending of the screen-battery requirement.

First Switch FP32 undocked is under 200 GFLOPS, around gen8 could mean 10 time that performance (the "old" 8nm tegra T239 has 10 times the FP32 than a docked first switch, but is a bit high on power), could mean just 3 time.

Is it "news" in the article ?
https://www.shacknews.com/article/136109/bobby-kotick-nintendo-switch-pro-specs
During Microsoft’s FTC trial, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick claimed that the next Nintendo console’s performance and power will be similar to that of the PS4 and Xbox One consoles.
After an email between Bobby Kotick and Nintendo President Shunturo Furukawa was shown in court, Kotick shared that he expects the next Nintendo console’s specifications to have “closer alignment” to the PS4 and Xbox One generation of consoles.

What would be the difference than when the trial was occuring and that it was released ?

Easy solution the problem. Get rid of the portability.
Not going to happen. Nintendo killed off their last exclusively portable system because they believe the Switch supersedes it. It is honestly quite odd to me that we live in an era with no Game Boy-like device from Nintendo. In my personal opinion, the Switch fails as a portable gaming device because it is too large and it is awkward to hold in your hands. The New 3DS was perfect as a portable device and Nintendo let it die a slow death.

Not going to happen. Nintendo killed off their last exclusively portable system because they believe the Switch supersedes it. It is honestly quite odd to me that we live in an era with no Game Boy-like device from Nintendo. In my personal opinion, the Switch fails as a portable gaming device because it is too large and it is awkward to hold in your hands. The New 3DS was perfect as a portable device and Nintendo let it die a slow death.
To get an idea of what is possible: we can look at 4nm amd ryzen z1 non-extreme apu used in base model asus rog ally running in silent mode at 9watts

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-phoenix2-cpu-die-shot-featuring-zen4-zen4c-architectures-has-emerged

Samsung 4nm could be equivalent of this, but I don't think it will be ready for launch by next year. Rumour is that nvidia/nintendo will use a power efficient version of samsung 8nm which could still be worse than TSMC 7nm/6nm (for ex: the RDNA 2 based 6400xt pulled 55 watts).

So maybe something in the ballpark of 1/3rd to 1/2 of 6400xt performance is my best guess.

Last edited:
Heck no. It's a major feature. Not a problem.
One of Nintendo’s biggest problems of the past was that they had to split their internal development teams to work on the home console sku and a portable sku which had vastly different architectures. So now they have one platform and whatever anyone thinks of it’s portability many people do play it that way. Nintendo has their niche and they have their IP. Switch sales speak for themselves.

Back