Nintendo NX Allegedly No More Powerful Than Xbox One

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Based on the company’s track record, I guess we should be happy the console is even as powerful as this rumor suggests. The greater news is that the architecture supposedly allows for very easy ports, so we should see more games on the system.

…all the tech is exactly the same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One which then combine it with the OS’s strong emulation functions and compiler means that any game that can run of a Playstation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with near-zero modification to the original source code, especially if it runs in Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. This is allegedly why Nintendo has given out the dev kits so late, as one 3rd Party dev put it “It’s the easiest device we’ve ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works.”

That link doesn't work for me - the site is timing out.

I hope for Nintendo's sake that the box is very much more powerful than the PS4 or XB1, otherwise why bother? Really, all they need is a vastly better GPU - say the R9 Nano or Fury - and 4K support (HDMI 2).

Last edited:
Wow. If even half those rumors are true it could make for a very unique device.

“It’s the easiest device we’ve ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works.”

My bullshit detector just went off.

That link doesn't work for me - the site is timing out.

I hope for Nintendo's sake that the box is very much more powerful than the PS4 or XB1, otherwise why bother? Really, all they need is a vastly better GPU - say the R9 Nano or Fury - and 4K support (HDMI 2).

I doubt something that powerful would use less power than the XB1, and I also doubt that even if it was twice as powerful, most people wouldn't buy it because Nintendo made it.

Nintendo really needs to stop making crappy hardware. Their proprietary software is always pretty decent, but they're not going to have any measured success with this strategy and there really is no need for it. Either make decent hardware or do what Sega did and just make software for other platforms.

and I also doubt that even if it was twice as powerful, most people wouldn't buy it because Nintendo made it.

I've managed to read the article and it indicates that the NX is a hand-held console with TV capability. So it's not a direct competitor to the PS4 or XB1. So 4K capability isn't an issue. There's been a die shrink or two since the release of the XB1 so the NX should have similar processing power for a much lower power consumption.

Nintendo really needs to stop making crappy hardware. Their proprietary software is always pretty decent, but they're not going to have any measured success with this strategy and there really is no need for it. Either make decent hardware or do what Sega did and just make software for other platforms.

It is about making money for Nintendo just like MS and Sony. Nintendo GameCube was not crappy. If you look at what the Wii did for them if it is not the best it still will sell.
If Nintendo produced something that does 4K gaming would their target audience shell out for it or will another part pick up the console as well as Nintendo fans , they prolly done some research and it is unlikely.

People always forget that this is suppossed to be the handheld coming out first.

If it isn't the handheld then Nintendo is gonna keep throwing money to the furnace.

I have doubts about a lot of the NX rumors, but if it ends up being a portable device being "only" as powerful as the XB1 is incredible. If by some miracle all of this "leak" is true then the NX will be one hell of a gaming device.

My bullshit detector just went off.
Welcome to the world of LLVM and Vulkan.

As for size and power, I see no reason a small polaris like chip couldn't fit into a handheld. 1080P for Nintendo games that easily streams to a TV. 4K is what happens when you get together with 3 friends and all play. :borg:

it must be an AMD SoC if it compiles so easily.

It's already been announced that it is.

I've been predicting this for ages, Nintendo just can't break out of their losing formula. Trying to build another Wii U is just a recipe for failure.

I wish Nintendo would quit making hardware and just become a software developer for Microsoft or Sony.... I hate buying two consoles each gen...

I have yet to buy a current console. If this is as powerful as an XB1, its a decent price, it gets all the latest releases, and I get Nintendo games, I'm in. Naw, nvm. I gave up after Gamecube.

As predicted. The fact the tablet component has to be able to play whatever the console can is kinda the limiting factor here. Basically, this is going nowhere.

I don't know, I think it sounds pretty cool. The marriage of mobile and standalone console really does sound like the direction game consoles should be taking (if the advent of mobile gaming is anything to go by).

I'm just curious how large this thing will be, I'm hoping for a similar size to the Wii U-gamepad with a 'micro-sized' screen unit introduced later for true 3DS-style mobile gaming.

Nintendo seems to be addressing some of their major concerns with the NX platform.

Much improved networking and online (not listed in this article but rumored elsewhere), extremely easy development for the NX platform, easy porting from other consoles, baseline power inline with XB1 (weaker than PS4), working with 3rd parties (EA rumor), etc.

I still believe they will sell less than the Wii U/3DS overall to continue the downward trend however.

They will likely release with the new Zelda, Pokemon, SMW Galaxy 3, and maybe Mario Kart.

Still, regardless of my thoughts this will determine if they go third party. If they sell less than Wii U it's over.

If they sell less than Wii U it's over.

Yeah, for sure. Especially if the plan is to amalgamate their portable and standalone into one console, I can't see them releasing another hardware platform if the NX tanks. Not sure if I'd like to see them go 3rd party and run the risk of being gobbled up by Activision or EA if they're unable to make the transition from 1st to 3rd party smoothly. It'd break Seymour's heart.

Hopefully it'll have a hard drive that can do more than 25mb/s of read / write. *facepalm @ wii u*

Hopefully it'll have a hard drive that can do more than 25mb/s of read / write. *facepalm @ wii u*

I'm really curious about its form factor and whether it will even have a traditional HDD. What was originally thought to be a standalone 'base' station is now rumoured to be a HDMI dongle that allows the NX to send information to a monitor ala Wii U to Gamepad. Cool sounding tech, but how big will the NX have to be to allow installation of a traditional HDD? And its rumored to look like a love child between Samsung and a 2DS? Great for 3rd parties if it's got the GPU/CPU to handle their gruntwork, but that won't matter if they're unable to take advantage of a harddrive to fit all the game assets on to.

I have yet to buy a current console. If this is as powerful as an XB1, its a decent price, it gets all the latest releases, and I get Nintendo games, I'm in. Naw, nvm. I gave up after Gamecube.
its just going to be some gimmicky console like the wiiU was so you wont be missing out. My prediction is that they are really going to push for mobility and have more touch tablet controllers like the wiiu maybe even do some gayness like use your DS as a controller. Gone are the days when nintendo made actual gaming consoles like the N64 and Gamecube.

Nintendo needs to stop with the gimmicks and just come out with a nice console along with their very excellent first party games. Otherwise, it's a mediocre console with excellent games. Which is fine for some. But, it's not a great selling point. It has proven not to work. :/

Maybe the golden age of gaming is over. The days of the new console coming out and being leaps and bounds better than the previous one, and the competition being real competition. Now, it's just keeping up and not doing anything special.

I'm really curious about its form factor and whether it will even have a traditional HDD. What was originally thought to be a standalone 'base' station is now rumoured to be a HDMI dongle that allows the NX to send information to a monitor ala Wii U to Gamepad. Cool sounding tech, but how big will the NX have to be to allow installation of a traditional HDD? And its rumored to look like a love child between Samsung and a 2DS? Great for 3rd parties if it's got the GPU/CPU to handle their gruntwork, but that won't matter if they're unable to take advantage of a harddrive to fit all the game assets on to.
I'm only guessing here, but consider something like AMD's nano in high and low power modes based on whether or not it's plugged in. Out and about respectable performance and data on the cloud. At home streaming to a big screen you get full performance and can store files on a wireless NAS. Multiple players with these things and you get more processing power. I doubt it will have a traditional HDD, more likely something flash based. That stacked flash tech has the potential to be really dense.

Nintendo needs to stop with the gimmicks and just come out with a nice console along with their very excellent first party games. Otherwise, it's a mediocre console with excellent games. Which is fine for some. But, it's not a great selling point. It has proven not to work. :/

Maybe the golden age of gaming is over. The days of the new console coming out and being leaps and bounds better than the previous one, and the competition being real competition. Now, it's just keeping up and not doing anything special.
It also doesnt help that both big name consoles xb1 and ps4 share pretty much the same library other than a few exclusives. Gone are days like the ps1 n64 era when each console had its own library and even art syle to the games. Now its pretty much what exclusive do i like more so i can justify my purchase.

It also doesnt help that both big name consoles xb1 and ps4 share pretty much the same library other than a few exclusives. Gone are days like the ps1 n64 era when each console had its own library and even art syle to the games. Now its pretty much what exclusive do i like more so i can justify my purchase.

I don't know if that's necessarily a terrible thing. It's kind of nice not having to buy every console to enjoy a wide variety of 3rd party titles. My biggest issue being the rise of the '3rd party exclusivity' wars. Be it, making specific maps platform only (ala Destiny) or timed releases for 3rd party titles, I'd love to see that stop.

Personally, I'd love to see the 3rd parties tell the console manufacturers to fuck off with their closed platforms and force them to be open. That way, my console choice will literally come down to exclusives; I can buy a platform that allows me to play Bloodborne, but also allows me to play CoD against my heathen brother in law who owns a Xbox.

I don't know if that's necessarily a terrible thing. It's kind of nice not having to buy every console to enjoy a wide variety of 3rd party titles. My biggest issue being the rise of the '3rd party exclusivity' wars. Be it, making specific maps platform only (ala Destiny) or timed releases for 3rd party titles, I'd love to see that stop.

Personally, I'd love to see the 3rd parties tell the console manufacturers to fuck off with their closed platforms and force them to be open. That way, my console choice will literally come down to exclusives; I can buy a platform that allows me to play Bloodborne, but also allows me to play CoD against my heathen brother in law who owns a Xbox.
If every console played the same games then what would be the purpose of having multiple consoles especially when they are spec'd so close to each other? Console wars drives competition and innovation because each company has to compete on who has the better games. If the xb1 and ps4 played the same games then there is no point to compete because you know the game is going to sell either way. Look at the sega and nes days, or the n64 and ps1 , hell even the ps2 and OG xbox. Each console had its unique library of great very different games. Yeah it didnt help the consumer much if they wanted to play a certain game but had to get the other console for it. Now companies literally have a handful of exclusives and then tons of multiplatform games.

If every console played the same games then what would be the purpose of having multiple consoles especially when they are spec'd so close to each other? Console wars drives competition and innovation because each company has to compete on who has the better games. If the xb1 and ps4 played the same games then there is no point to compete because you know the game is going to sell either way. Look at the sega and nes days, or the n64 and ps1 , hell even the ps2 and OG xbox. Each console had its unique library of great very different games. Yeah it didnt help the consumer much if they wanted to play a certain game but had to get the other console for it. Now companies literally have a handful of exclusives and then tons of multiplatform games.

I'm not saying for the consoles to share 1st party exclusives, but to open up their platforms so that the 3rd party games can communicate with each other regardless of platform. This way, they're still competing by making sure their own 1st party titles are stellar and/or ensuring their hardware is topnotch, so there will still be 'console wars'. If anything, I think this would only improve first party titles, as MS, Sony, or Nintendo will be able to focus on genre-setting, riskier development as they'll be buoyed by a strong 3rd party presence.

You're right, we've got companies literally making a handful of exclusives for each console and then a ton of multiplatform games that are closed to their individual platform (with only a few exceptions) with the companies working out deals for exclusive content from these 3rd party titles. So why not open up the 3rd party titles? I'm sure the 3rd parties would embrace it as it will only widen their player base and reduce the risk of releasing the title to an all new platform (ie: Nintendo NX receiving a CoD title) as there will already be an established playerbase for that game's community.

Back