New Zelda And NX Launch Rumored For Holidays

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Has Nintendo finally created a worthy console? We may find out this holiday. Here’s hoping that the NX version of Zelda will actually flaunt the new capabilities of the console better than Twilight Princess on the Wii did.

Earlier this week, a NeoGAF user posted information obtained from a verified-source regarding Nintendo’s 3DS and NX plans. …the source said The Legend of Zelda would be out this holiday 2016 for NX and “will either launch day and date with the Wii U version,” or after the NX holiday launch window.

Holiday 2016 = Christmas 2016, right?

Nintendo need to go 4K or go home.

I've lost faith in Nintendo after Zelda: Skyward Sword was a steaming pile of crap. Since the launch of the Wii all of Nintendo's first-party games seem like phoned in repeats of their previous games that are either exactly the same or worse than their predecesors (I'm looking at you Mario Galaxy, it's been all down hill since Mario 64), but Skyward Sword was what really killed it for me. Twilight Princess was a masterpiece that showed us all exactly how good a Zelda game could be and it's followup was a lukewarm pile of crap with a terrible control scheme the relied on a hardware gimmick that really only served to make the game more inconvenient to play.

I honestly believe that they're going to repeat their past mistakes and the NX is going to be about as powerful as a PS4, despite launching 2+ years later and will cost about the same price and feature a ridiculous gimmick that no one will care about 5 minutes after launch. Now, I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

I should mention that my anger comes from a very genuine place as I used to be a huge Nintendo fanboi.

Last edited:
Twilight Princess was a masterpiece? Really? I mean we can all have opinions, but to complain about rehashing games, and calling TP a masterpiece is kind of funny. Skyward Sword certainly isn't perfect but was probably the most unique attempt at a Zelda since Wind Waker. It has gorgeous art, and fantastic items, and design...well design until you were redoing everything over and over.

And yeah. No defending the controls. When they worked they felt awesome but that was rare.

As for the NX I just can't care about the rumors. I know I'll buy it, so it's just a waiting game to me. When it comes out I'll be happy.

If this does end up being a hybrid portable/console system, I'm really hoping it has b/c for both 3DS and Wii U.

Man, did I make a mistake with the WII U. They made it sound like the game was just around the borne in late 2014. Now it's not until late 2016 on a new console?

I HATE YOU NINTENDO!!!

Man, did I make a mistake with the WII U. They made it sound like the game was just around the borne in late 2014. Now it's not until late 2016 on a new console?

I HATE YOU NINTENDO!!!

The game is coming out on both platforms.

Reactions: atom
like this
Definitely picking it up once the nx launches. I freaking love nintendo. The fun factor of their games is simply unmatched.

The NX version may not have the burden of the terrible Gamead controller though!
Hey now, it's not perfect but that gamepad controller is awesome when I want to play VC games while netflixing X-Files.

Otherwise yeah a simpler controller would be nice. Sometimes it's nice to not have to think about what my hands are doing when I just want to play a game.

It probably won't flaunt too much power. The reason Twilight Princess didn't is because it was developed as a GCN game. This one I wouldn't be surprised is a Wii U game seeing as its obviously already in development and Nintendo has been scrambling to pull this NX business out of their you-know-what.

Nintendo won't get another dollar from me until they release a real console with a real controller. I'm tired of all of the gimmicky bs. I want a UltraHD Super Nintendo and said games! Otherwise go the way of Sega.

My son really likes being able to play the Wii U on his own when someone else is using the TV.

In fact we returned a game because we thought it was locking up because we didn't even think to turn on the TV....we had just came to assume that all games could be played on the gamepad.

I'm glad Nintendo has taken risks over the years.

The Virtualboy was controversial
The N64 using a cartridge and the controller design was controversial
The Wii bar was controversial
the Wii U gamepad was controversial

But it made for memorable moments in gaming history. Sony and Microsoft have pushed the immersion capabilities, but they haven't done anything novel, which means there isn't much distinction between the consoles...other then just that it's better.

In fact we returned a game because we thought it was locking up because we didn't even think to turn on the TV....we had just came to assume that all games could be played on the gamepad.

This is an important point. Nintendo's messaging on what the Wii U was and how to use it have been abysmal. This also applies to the 3DS / 3DS XL / New 3DS / 2DS situation. Some 3DS games says "Works on 2DS" and others don't. Now a small number of games only work on the New 3DS.

My sister has three kids and multiple Nintendo handhelds and this shit confusing the heck out of her since she barely understand technology. Also she didn't initially buy a Wii U because she thought it was a handheld add on and he kids already had a Wii and handhelds. Then she got a Wii U and donated her Wii to charity before figuring out that she needed Wiimotes for certain games (she initially bought a Pro Controller or a Classic Controller for the U). Oh and then some games need the Wiimote Nunchucks and others don't. And of course she had bought the Wii U with only 8GB storage which led to more issues until she got a SD card (which led to her looking for a Nintendo SD card which Nintendo doesn't actually make). For being a game company with a younger focus, they haven't made an easy ecosystem for people to understand. All this causes Wii U consoles to go underutilized and frustrate parents.

Meanwhile my brother in law picked up a PS4 and one extra controller and they can go crazy with that and never have to consult a spreadsheet to see what they need to play games. You know, because it works and is simple, like Nintendo used to be.

For the NX I think they need to quit fucking around and just make one console with one controller. Stop worrying about shit like allowing GameCube controllers to work on the system or confusing people with four controllers in the store.

Last edited:
Back