new threadrippers announced

Well, supposedly we get non-Pro Threadrippers again. What do you know.

I would get excited, because of the lower price, except that I really want registered RAM these days. In other words, I just want the Pro at the non-Pro prices and be done with it.

And I thought my x99 HEDT 5820K setup in 2016 was expensive! ;)
HEDT prices had reached ludicrous levels and with little practical benefit over desktop parts with increasing PCIe lane counts and more and more cores, HEDT as we knew it ceased to exist. I'm a little surprised to see it return but I fear its not going anywhere if the pricing structure is like it was last time.

Just spotted that the non-Pro versions will use registered RAM, too. Very exciting.

Interesting strategy - I thought the move to pro only made sense but I guess enough folks decided they'd had enough after getting shafted on the single generation 3000 series that they changed tack - but if it's a single gen again, not sure they get a lot of takers, though there will be a nice upgrade path to a 96 core pro cpu later.

I 100% regret the money and time spent on Threadrippers over the years.I will never again do that bullshit. I am totally fine with a normal desktop gaming CPU and nothing more is needed. I can do everything I need do with 8 or 16 cores.

Threadripper caused me to sell things I regret selling to buy new threadrippers each time they came out. I regret the things I sold to fund buying other things. I refuse to do that ever again. The new threadrippers can stay on the shelf and I am fine with that. I dont care how powerful they are. HEDT is not for me anymore. The prices have gotten absolutely bonkers for these chips. I have other things to get. I am saving money for kubota KX040-4 so I can make money as a side hustle doing excavation work and these things are 70 large already in price.

Interesting strategy - I thought the move to pro only made sense but I guess enough folks decided they'd had enough after getting shafted on the single generation 3000 series that they changed tack - but if it's a single gen again, not sure they get a lot of takers, though there will be a nice upgrade path to a 96 core pro cpu later.
Pretty sure the pro line (WRX90) is a different socket, you cannot go from one (TRX50) to the other.

And if it is not pro-only, it is pro or semi-pro only it would be fair to say, with a $1500 entry point for the lowest model, will see for the board options (but considering the cheapest CPU that goes on them we could expect an high entry point there as well), AMD call it like that semi-pro/HEDT.

The first threadripper launch had motherboard starting at $250 and $550/$750/$999 CPUs, $1500-5000 feel like a different class

Pretty sure the pro line (WRX90) is a different socket, you cannot go from one (TRX50) to the other.

And if it is not pro-only, it is pro or semi-pro only it would be fair to say, with a $1500 entry point for the lowest model, will see for the board options (but considering the cheapest CPU that goes on them we could expect an high entry point there as well), AMD call it like that semi-pro/HEDT.

The first threadripper launch had motherboard starting at $250 and $550/$750/$999 CPUs, $1500-5000 feel like a different class
I don't remember any boards being that cheap at launch. Specifically, most of the motherboard makers only had one or two models that were mid-range to high end. They didn't create cheaper boards until the X399 refresh. The reason this was the case is that companies weren't sure that there would be much of a demand for Threadripper and didn't want to invest in it until they were sure. So, they only designed one or two boards for it. Upon the refresh they released full product lines which covered more price points as they knew they'd get a return on their investments.

There may have been boards that cheap on launch, but I can't think of any off hand. I remember something around $299.99 or so, but high priced boards were a really common complaint at the time.

There may have been boards that cheap on launch, but I can't think of any off hand. I remember something around $299.99 or so, but high priced boards were a really common complaint at the time.
Could be that was Anandtech speculating expectation in the article I was reading to get the msrp of the cpu when they were announced (https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review), not actual price on launch:

$340 being the cheapest tested here on launch:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11685/amd-threadripper-x399-motherboards/11

Could be that was Anandtech speculating expectation in the article I was reading to get the msrp of the cpu when they were announced (https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review), not actual price on launch:

$340 being the cheapest tested here on launch:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11685/amd-threadripper-x399-motherboards/11
Yeah that's about right. I knew there weren't any cheap motherboards for Threadripper at the time and I actually talked to one of the motherboard manufactures about it and they basically said what I stated above. They weren't ready to go all in on Threadripper as it was an unknown quantity at the time. Also, ASRock having the cheapest board at the time also doesn't surprise me.

Among the most expensive boards were the GIGABYTE X399 Designaire EX and the ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme. Those were $550-$600 or something like that. What's crazy is that X399 boards were ultimately cheaper than the high end X570 boards that coincided with the release of the Ryzen 3000 series. The Threadripper boards at that time were damn near twice the price of the X399's.

There are very few "good deals" anymore. I doubt we'll see any different here.

Be carefull about the RAM. Old HEDT had UDIMM mémory. New one has RDIMM. And this is very good, because the RDIMM RAM can be much bigger. It's standard to have 64GB DDR5 RDIMM (ECC of course) and you can find 256GB.
So with only 4 slots a TRX50 can go up to 1GB of RAM, and it is standard to put 256GB on it for something around $1000, which is really great. Then one can put up to 4 RTX 4090 on it, with a 64 core CPU like the 7980 CPU. Globally the case full of this kind of very powerfull PC with some fast SSD raid system could cost less than $15000 which is a really good value.
This equals the fastest computer in the world in 2008 (a huge server made for science research), made by Sun and named Ranger. That's only 15 years ago. All this on your desktop now. :)

Just enough to play Cyberpunk in 8K. :LOL:

https://www.techpowerup.com/315117/...roductivity-for-creators-and-machine-learning

ciXTSDbMYxXWrpP5.jpg

This look quite nice to me, i.e. the design-astheatic-look choice seem to indicate the possibility of reasonable (for a board with 10Gbe network price) for the TRX50

That a lot of active cooling, 5 fans on the WRX...

F9XpyqMbUAArqzp?format=png&name=large.png

The WRX 90 boards will be plenty of PCI slots but mind that to fill all of them you'll need slim GPU cards.
Best value will be the TRX50.
And the Asrock TRX 50 board has a bad distribution of PCI slots. No way to put 4 double slot GPU in a EATX case. The position of the 3rd slot should be one step down.

Last edited:
So non-pro threadrippers are back. I was waiting for this. I don't need all the power but I'm crazy enough to buy it. Can't wait for the reviews, specially with overclocking!

I tried to like these but meh I have a 2nd pc with a 13700k I will go for the next Ryzen cpu put in the 13900k for cpu encoding going 24/7 and just use my main for my 3d stuff.

It is a very interesting platform, but it looks like it has some launch issues, which isn't a huge surprise.

Realistically, with the decision to require RDIMM memory and motherboards costing > $1100 USD and gaming performance actually a fair amount worse than mainstream desktop systems, this is going to be a fairly niche product line for people looking for a workstation. If you need a workstation, it has a lot of compelling features and insane performance potential.

These difference kind of separate the new Threadripper processors from the previous ones, since I feel like the old ones were more in line with what I would think of as HEDT instead of workstation, but that is fine. As others in this thread have pointed out, the current mainstream processors are honestly more than decent for most people's computing / gaming needs these days.

Same socket and pro cpus will work on both chip sets, but lose the pro features on trx50. However, that means up to 96 cores on trx50.... Unsure if that means you can oc the pro cpus on trx50 (which let's face it the only reason you'd run the pro on trx50 is for the 96 core 7995WX).

Last edited:
No one ever suggested/implied you could not, in fact saying you lose the warranty (and not just saying you do if you overclock but them tracking it and saving it on the cpu) if you overclock make no-sense if you could not, no ?

No one ever suggested/implied you could not, in fact saying you lose the warranty (and not just saying you do if you overclock but them tracking it and saving it on the cpu) if you overclock make no-sense if you could not, no ?
I think there was some question on whether you could oc the pro (wx) cpus on trx50. You can't on wrx90.

Not that many of us would run into this issue this time around considering the steep entry price, but this could have consequences, for all OC users, on long term if this is implemented in cheaper products/ all.

Not that many of us would run into this issue this time around considering the steep entry price, but this could have consequences, for all OC users, on long term if this is implemented in cheaper products/ all.
I have seen different opinions. Some say it depends on whether AMD will enforce it or not. I mean if AMD wants, they can deny replacements for anyone who burned the fuse.

For me, even if the entry price is high, you would still want to overclock. It is part of the fun.

Back