New Alienware 27" 1440p 360hz OLED and 32" 4k 240hz OLED monitors coming in January 2024

I didn’t realize that I don’t even need the eARC port on the Alienware 27.

My 4090 is connected to my LG C9, which is connected to my Sonos Arc, subwoofer, and Era 300s - this is how I get the sound for my gaming, from the eARC’s pass through ability.

When the new 27 inch display arrives, all I have to do is connect it to my 4090 via DisplayPort, because it will be acting as a second monitor alongside my C9.

I just have to leave the C9 on, and set the background to black (to avoid burn in), while playing games on the new monitor.

So, essentially, if you have a TV with eARC and a Dolby soundbar, you can add any second monitor and still get the Dolby sound.

Probably obvious to everyone here, but I had to work that one out. I’ve never run two displays before! LOL

yes the output on the gpu and the tv act like a separate sound card/sound device. So you can switch between the TV hdmi "sound card" , headphones, other sound devices in windows on the fly. Sorry I should have mentioned that, didn't realize you were keeping both screens connected. I did mention it in one of my replies in this thread recently.

From the quote below:

" I'd guess that you could still use a 2nd hdmi 2.1 screen in a multi-monitor array while you are using displayport on your main gaming monitor, and set windows to use the "sound card" that is the 2ndary monitor's hdmi audio, just like you can set up and change between any number of other audio devices as your audio output device in windows."

There are worse speakers than good soundbars but a surround setup with decent speakers is better. I use a tribit stormbox blast on my one laptop + desktop monitor station at my house at times though and it sounds pretty damn good. It's comparable to a big jbl boombox.

Sending your video signal through a receiver or using a receiver set up as a ghost monitor as a workaround, etc was always a pain in the old days especially for a multi-monitor user like me - but it's not like that now. What you gain from modern eARC capability is that you don't have to go THROUGH a receiver anymore at all, you just run an additional hdmi cable OUT from your display to the receiver in some ways as if it is just a set of speakers, just as if you were connecting a spdif optical cable out from a TV. So you aren't getting any latency from pushing your video through a receiver at all because you aren't sending video to the receiver in the first place.

My desktop gaming pc has desktop size klipsch speakers and a big floor subwoofer in 7.1 surround spread around the 9x12 room it's in currently. I send the video + audio signal to the OLED TV using a hdmi 2.1 cable, then I use another hdmi 2.1 cable to output full uncompressed hdmi audio from the OLED TV to my receiver. I use a 43" 4k VA on either side of the 48" CX so it's a 3x 4k setup and I have no issues.

The PC is using the nvidia gpu to the 48cx as the sound device as if it was a sound card. I still get all of the sound from the apps on my other older hdmi 2.0 displays in that multi monitor spanned desktop setup obviously. I'm not certain since I've never tried it with a displayport line in the mix but I'd guess that you could still use a 2nd hdmi 2.1 screen in a multi-monitor array while you are using displayport on your main gaming monitor, and set windows to use the "sound card" that is the 2ndary monitor's hdmi audio, just like you can set up and change between any number of other audio devices as your audio output device in windows.

965169_LG.TV.windows.sound.device.selection_1.png
965165_How-to-Fix-HDMI-Audio-Not-Working-in-Windows-11-27.jpg

7Me8Ua6.png

afaik there is no other way to get uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 hdmi audio, 193 kHz 24 bit atmos, etc. other than using eARC on hdmi 2.1/ethernet. (Maybe there is some sound card/DAC with a 6 to 8 seperate analog 3.5mm wire outputs or something though idk lol, but anything with HDCP hdmi handshaking would prob be broken).

HDMI-eARC.png
*edit: you could get theoretically get eARC capability for uncompressed 5.1, 7.1, etc off of hdmi 2.0b since audio is less bandwidth than the full video+audio hdmi 2.1 bandwidth signal, but since eARC was released as a feature of hdmi 2.1, you'd have to make sure your hdmi 2.0b source and destination both had the chips/support for eARC specifically.

. . . . . . .

My comments are not trying to reference speakers and their placement. Rather, the capabilities associated with the signal.

Right, but without 5 speaker + 1 sub it can't really be called 5.1 imo. You aren't "getting" 5 speaker + .1 subwoofer so you aren't getting 5.1 audio. You aren't capable of getting it. It's like saying you are getting stereo sound signal but with only one side of a set of headphones working. Even if you had two drivers in the working headphone that could do L/R channel its wouldn't be stereo sound.

I guess it's the 5.1 track in fewer speakers? The 5.1 signal is mastered to be projected from that kind of speaker layout directionally so idk what you are getting from that. I guess with eARC capable speaker you could get uncompressed hdmi audio from it at least but it could be on only a few channels/speakers, and even if a row of speakers it'd be from more or less 1 or 2 directions (with some spacialization trickery added perhaps too) . . unless you had satellites and a subwoofer added to the sound bar.

I'm not saying it can't sound good. Like I said I've used a tribit stormbox (bluetooth boombox) on my laptop before and it sounds pretty good, rich, full, undistorted. Especially for music. It can't do 5.1 even if it had a eARC port and could accept the signal though.

Last edited:
yes the output on the gpu and the tv act like a separate sound card/sound device. So you can switch between the TV hdmi "sound card" , headphones, other sound devices in windows on the fly. Sorry I should have mentioned that, didn't realize you were keeping both screens connected. I did mention it in one of my replies in this thread recently.

From the quote below:

. . . . . . .

Right, but without 5 speaker + 1 sub it can't really be called 5.1 imo. You aren't "getting" 5 speaker + .1 subwoofer so you aren't getting 5.1 audio. You aren't capable of getting it. It's like saying you are getting stereo sound signal but with only one side of a headphone working.

I guess it's the 5.1 track in fewer speakers? The 5.1 signal is mastered to be projected from that kind of speaker layout directionally so idk what you are getting from that. I guess with eARC capable speaker you could get uncompressed hdmi audio from it at least but it could be on only a few channels/speakers, and even if a row of speakers it'd be from more or less 1 or 2 directions (with some spacialization trickery added perhaps too) . . unless you had satellites and a subwoofer added to the sound bar.

I'm not saying it can't sound good. Like I said I've used a tribit stormbox (bluetooth boombox) on my laptop before and it sounds pretty good, rich, full, undistorted. Especially for music. It can't do 5.1 even if it had a eARC port and could accept the signal though.

I completely missed what you were saying.

My new monitor hasn’t arrived yet, but the new monitor arm did arrive, so I pulled out an ancient 27 inc LCD panel from my closet and set that up on the new arm to see how the arm would work.

The arm worked even better than I thought it would.

It so happened that my LG C9 was connected to my 4090 via HDMI, and it so happened that the monitor I had pulled out of my closet had a DisplayPort cable hanging down from it, so I decided to plug the DisplayPort cable into my 4090 and run a game to see how it all worked. I was surprised to discover that I was getting sound.

The 4090 has three DisplayPorts in total, so I guess you could hook up three monitors via display port, as long as your tv is acting as the sound card for your pc and soundbar via pass through.

I have my LG C9 for my 4K needs… the new 27 inch display is going to take care of my 1440p needs… I could add one of the new 21:9 woled displays later in the year and take care of my 3440x1440 ultra widescreen needs! LOL

Very good Review of the 360hz OLED, he covers many of the niche features other reviews dont such as DSC and DSR. Not to mention real use scenarios. Also brings up strange eyestrain issues with this new panel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbj0v78WtUA

Eye strain could be due to the way OLED behaves during the refresh cycle that sees a dip in brightness. Where PWM is worse the lower the frequency, perhaps the OLED behavior gets worse the higher the frequency gets since it corresponds to the pixel response?

Eye strain could be due to the way OLED behaves during the refresh cycle that sees a dip in brightness. Where PWM is worse the lower the frequency, perhaps the OLED behavior gets worse the higher the frequency gets since it corresponds to the pixel response?
You’re probably right. If so that’s concerning.

Someone at a different forum said he couldn’t use this monitor for more than an hour. He solved the problem though (or so he claims) by lowering ‘the blue light’. Not exactly sure what he’s saying, there.

Someone at a different forum said he couldn’t use this monitor for more than an hour. He solved the problem though (or so he claims) by lowering ‘the blue light’. Not exactly sure what he’s saying, there.
See if lowering the refresh helps?

It could be the screen's particular "pwm" , but from the video and the comments they seem to be indicating it might be a QD OLED issue rather than an OLED issue in itself. QD layer is different than WOLED. That reviewer guy in the video kept saying he found himself trying to "look through the screen" rather than at it. That sounds like something weird with the layers to me. Continually trying to focus on something you are having trouble focusing on can cause eye strain.

From a previous reply of mine on hardforum threads recently about the aw3225qf :
=============================
- Matte "semi gloss" Layer. The alienware has an ag abraded outer layer that "activates", diffusing light back at you. That will be a sheen/texture or granularity thing (sometimes called dirty screen effect 'DSC'), and when "activated" by high enough ambient lighting, or direct lighting, it lifts the black depths to grey-blacks (unless you are in a dim enough to dark viewing environment but the layer looking effect may still be there).
reviewer in that video just posted: "You guys are probably saying, wow that alienware looks like junk with the lights on - and that is true to a certain extent"

SS From Incredible - Alienware AW3225QF 4K 240Hz Glossy QD OLED Review - The Display Guy
974288_firefox_95sDymk6OF.png

-QD OLED may also have inherently worse black levels by default due to (ambient light hitting?) the the QD layer.

Last edited:
It could be the screen's particular "pwm" , but from the video and the comments they seem to be indicating it might be a QD OLED issue rather than an OLED issue in itself. QD layer is different than WOLED. That reviewer guy in the video kept saying he found himself trying to "look through the screen" rather than at it. That sounds like something weird with the layers to me. Continually trying to focus on something you are having trouble focusing on can cause eye strain.

From a previous reply of mine on hardforum threads recently about the aw3225qf :
=============================

QD OLED isn't the problem. The reviewer doesn't have the same eyestrain issue on the 34" UW QD OLED, just this 27" 360Hz one.

QD OLED isn't the problem. The reviewer doesn't have the same eyestrain issue on the 34" UW QD OLED, just this 27" 360Hz one.

I didn't mean to indicate that all QD layer tech was going to cause eyestrain like these reports, rather that maybe something is borked with this one's implementation from what some people were guessing at and from the reviewer's comments about finding himself trying to "look through" the screen and having to force himself to instead "look at" the screen. That sounds like something weird with layers to me but whatever it is, it will be interesting to find out what's up.

Thanks for watching the video guys! I'd really love to figure it out. I think that the coating combined possibly with the bluelight needed for 360hz ... I really want to figure it out! As I said in my video I'm sure Alienware will fix it, and we'll learn more when MSI version gets into our hands! Thanks for all being Zorz Guys!

Also, you cannot disable DSC on the Alienware and it's incompatible with DLDSR while the MSI 360Hz offers full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps meaning you should be able to run 1440p 360Hz 8bit without needing any DSC, which then means that you might be able to use DLDSR at the full 360Hz refresh rate on MSI. Remains to be seen whether or not it actually works though as it seems nobody has tested it out. But if it does work then that is a massive selling point to get the MSI over the Alienware aside from price.

Someone in the Zorz video comments posted a small reply the other day about the eyestrain thing and tftcentral. Nothing definitive though.
After reading the TFT central review I think they solved it. Under Spectral Distribution they show the monitor has a blue light peak in the 415 – 455nm range which is supposedly harmful. My theory is the blue light peak plus the weirdness with the polariser and coating is putting a lot of stress on the eyes.

Some guesswork there regarding polarizer. There is also the QD layer. He said "coating" but that is the abraded layer not necessarily a sprayed on coating but that's sort of semantics.

This is the part from the tftcentral review he is talking about in that reply:
The native panel spectral distribution is shown above at a calibrated 6500K white point, where the blue peak is at 453 nm. This means it is not part of the Eyesafe certified range of products where there is a supposed harmful range between 415 – 455nm. This also includes a 26.95% blue light ratio. There are no blue light modes or options provided on the screen at all.

They also mention the black level but that particular con of QD layer is unlikely to be contributing to the eyestrain.
Being a QD-OLED panel it does also suffer from a reduced perceived black depth and contrast due to the lack of a polarizer and the Quantum Dot layer, which is evident in brighter lit rooms. For HDR content viewing you’d ideally want to be using the screen in a darker room if you can, to maximise the HDR impact and reduce this issue.
They did say that the matte abraded layer was actually less grainy (and more reflective or less diffusive depending how you want to look at it) than the other 27" QD OLEDs released so far though.

Last edited:
Someone at a different forum said they lowered the blue light on their own - how would they have done this?

Someone at a different forum said they lowered the blue light on their own - how would they have done this?
If you evenly apply a cigarette lighter to the screen while being careful not to exceed 15 second increments of time, as you move the lighter under every inch of the screen it will neutralize the AG & increase blue light filter 15%
1708715336131.png

Idk all of the settings on the screen OSD but tftcentral said no blue modes specifically on the screen. It's native blue output is that but I'm sure you can reduce it at least some in the settings but likely trade-off in pq a bit.

At least according to here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2194092/alienware-aw2725df-review.html

The Alienware did well in color temperature and gamma tests, achieving a default color temperature of 6300K (off a target of 6500K) and gamma curve of 2.2 (which is on-target). This helps the AW2725DF provide a balanced, realistic image. The monitor’s color temperature and gamma adjustment is minimal, however, so owners who want to significantly change the color temperature or gamma from these targets will likely need to use software calibration to achieve their desired results.

Not sure exactly what's up with the layers + QD ~ blue output, hz, sub-pixel layout, ppd... something or combination of things is bugging some % of people's eyes from various reports. People have run lower hz though and still had eyestrain so can probably rule out that one.

For trying to adjust blue

You can also run reshade in games to change color tone on those. (There are other various filters/modules that can alter color tone, this is just an example of one below).

982599_9202bcbf0cf114e69c7942b76732d5ef9418e00_2_690x1022.jpg

Might try these.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computer-Blue-Light-Blocking-Glasses/zgbs/hpc/17919093011

71KghMjBItL._AC_UL1200_.jpg

Blue ray blockers:

glasses_blue-ray.blocker_joke.gif

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m worried about getting cancer, dying from heart disease, losing my mobility, losing my job, ending up broke and alone (even though I’m already alone) and now I have to worry about blue light. Jesus.

I’m worried about getting cancer, dying from heart disease, losing my mobility, losing my job, ending up broke and alone (even though I’m already alone) and now I have to worry about blue light. Jesus.
Don't forget erectile dysfunction!

Back in my day, kids looked directly at pictures generated by a particle accelerator and never had issues. Blue Light is pure "green" marketing.

. . . .

dont.go.into.the.light.harry_1.gif

. . . . . . . . . . . .
dont.go.into.the.light.harry_2.gif

monitor.daylight.on.screen.vs.hdr.bright_joke_1.png

Solution for the HDR era:

6146Z0cGmjL.jpg

^^ (joke... these are glasses for welding).

Last edited:
I have a KTC OLED that was much cheaper, but the matte coating kinda sucks and less than a month later it developed a dead pixel right near the middle of the screen. Sending it back (within the Amazon return window) and ordered a AW2725DF instead.

For the price (like 60% the cost of the AW) the KTC wasn't awful, but a dead pixel with literally only maybe 20 or so hours of actual use is unacceptable.

I can't use any VA panel displays. TVs and Monitors. Viewing distance doesn't matter. Something about their structure, hurts my eyes. Even an ~ 2011 55 inch Samsung TVj with VA panel, still in use today by my Mother; which is one of the best looking LCD's I have ever seen, along with unusually good viewing angles, and continues to "wow" me. Even though I can't look at it for more than 15 minutes.

If that 34" is a 1st gen QD-OLED panel, then the pixel structure is different. And it could be that the new structure is giving some people problems.

Its interesting that Dell 27 inch would have such strong blue-light emission. Dell is one of the biggest proponents of low-blue light. Most of their IPS and VA monitors have low blue light on by default, as part of the base design implementation.

Back