Need assistance with ram upgrade

polynut

n00b
Hi guy's, last year i build a new PC with the following specs : CPU: Ryzen 5600x, motherboard: MSI B550 A pro, Ram: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 RGB Dual Channel Kit (2X 16GB). Cl 18 22-22-42

So now since I am a game developer 32 GB is not enough for my daily work in UE5 and I need to upgrade to 64 GB so my question is can I order the same 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo and expect it to work at 3600 like my 2 sticks presently?

I ask the question after a full day reading and many mention 4 sticks of dual channel ram will lead to instability or even not booting at all or it will need to be lowered to run a t 3200 instead of 3600.

It would cost me less to order the same kit than to buy another 64 GB kit (2x32) so that why i need to know if it will work. I know i can order and return it if it doesn't work but i would like to save the hassle of returning it.

Thank for any help i can get to clarify this issue

The 4 stick thing is more of an issue with DDR5; also with the first couple Zen generations. I think you might be OK with a 5600X, and if you do have to drop speeds, it really isn’t going to make that much difference.

The 4 stick thing is more of an issue with DDR5; also with the first couple Zen generations. I think you might be OK with a 5600X, and if you do have to drop speeds, it really isn’t going to make that much difference.
Thank for the reply and for me the most important point is to have more than 32 GB since when rendering world partition in UE5 with large terrain it is crashing with 32 GB.

It shouldn't "crash". Wjat exactly does "crash" mean here?

It shouldn't "crash". Wjat exactly does "crash" mean here?
What i mean by crashing in UE5 is that UE5 crash to desktop when i try to load 64 square kilometres of terrain if i try to load 40 square kilometres it work but not with 64, so i went and read that world partition is probably out of memory on UE forum. I also have to upgrade my video card that have only 6GB of Vram so i will probably get the 3060 12 GB to replace my 2060.

You can look at the process manager the ram usage to see if the ram was the issue (or vram).

Has for the mixing 2 different kit of ram, there is never any guarantee past a very low bandwith that the official speed supported by AMD:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600
Max Memory Speed
2x1R
DDR4-3200
2x2R
DDR4-3200
4x1R
DDR4-2933
4x2R
DDR4-2667

A bit like 3600mhz with the 5xxx gen of zen should and often work with just 2 stick, chance are 3200 will with 4 perfectly matched one, but it is not 100% certain. 3600 could be more up in the air, but because you are getting the exact same kit you are putting the maximum chance on your direction, going down speed a bit for what you do should not be a big issue.

Last edited:
It would cost me less to order the same kit than to buy another 64 GB kit (2x32)
Yea but you can just sell the 32GB kit to get back some of the money you pay for a new 64GB kit :D

And even if you think you are getting an "identical" kit to match your existing one, this is rarely possible due to ram mfgr's changing out the IC's & chips from batch to batch, either due to availability or costs. So even though the new kit may have the exact same model number, speeds, timings etc as your existing kit, it may or may not be close enough to cause issues....

That's why most folks (myself included) recommend just getting a new, 2-stick kit of 64GB & be done with it...

You can look at the process manager the ram usage to see if the ram was the issue (or vram).

Has for the mixing 2 different kit of ram, there is never any guarantee past a very low bandwith that the official speed supported by AMD:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600
Max Memory Speed
2x1R
DDR4-3200
2x2R
DDR4-3200
4x1R
DDR4-2933
4x2R
DDR4-2667

A bit like 3600mhz with the 5xxx gen of zen should and often work, chance are 3200 will, but it is not 100% certain. 3600 could be more up in the air, but because you are getting the exact same kit you are putting the maximum chance on your direction, going down speed a bit for what you do should not be a big issue.
Thank for the tips but i order Gskill ripjaws V 64 GB 2x32 since it was on sale, problem solved at least i hope so! To add the same trident z neo was costing close to 170$ and the ripjaws kit was on sale at 184$ so no big deal and i will save the hassle of gambling with 4 sticks.

Yea but you can just sell the 32GB kit to get back some of the money you pay for a new 64GB kit :D

And even if you think you are getting an "identical" kit to match your existing one, this is rarely possible due to ram mfgr's changing out the IC's & chips from batch to batch, either due to availability or costs. So even though the new kit may have the exact same model number, speeds, timings etc as your existing kit, it may or may not be close enough to cause issues....

That's why most folks (myself included) recommend just getting a new, 2-stick kit of 64GB & be done with it...
Agree with you since i bought the first kit a year ago even if the kit have same specs there is no guarantee it will work and 4 sticks issues are all across the board. I just order a Ripjaws V 64 GB kit 2x32 a few minute ago, it is on sale on Newegg.ca for 184$ and the kit of trident z neo was close to 170$ so no big deal here, will try to sell my 32 GB for 100$.

The quality of your CPU's integrated memory controller just comes down to the silicon lottery. In general, I'd say 8 ranks (aka 4 dual rank sticks) of 3600MHz on Zen 3 is unlikely from my experience. You can try it, and I think 1.2V on vSOC is about the highest you want to run for 24/7 usage. Raising vSOC can help with stabilizing fast memory frequency and/or more ranks.

You can probably just go down to about 3200MHz and tighten up the timings a bit (maybe 16-18-18) to get it stable if you add two more sticks. You shouldn't see that much real world performance loss. Otherwise sell your current kit to get 2 x 32GB if you want faster RAM with less headaches trying to run it stable

The quality of your CPU's integrated memory controller just comes down to the silicon lottery. In general, I'd say 8 ranks (aka 4 dual rank sticks) of 3600MHz on Zen 3 is unlikely from my experience. You can try it, and I think 1.2V on vSOC is about the highest you want to run for 24/7 usage. Raising vSOC can help with stabilizing fast memory frequency and/or more ranks.

You can probably just go down to about 3200MHz and tighten up the timings a bit (maybe 16-18-18) to get it stable if you add two more sticks. You shouldn't see that much real world performance loss. Otherwise sell your current kit to get 2 x 32GB if you want faster RAM with less headaches trying to run it stable
That's exactly what i did tonight, just order a Ripjaws V 64 GB kit 2x32 since the difference with the other kit was negligible, thank for the info you provide.

Back