MSI Ventus and Gaming X Slim thoughts?

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Hey everybody, I've been a bit out of the loop and I've always bought my GPUs from EVGA, sadly they don't offer them anymore and from searching around it seems MSI gives the least amount of headaches for warranty compared to the rest (ASUS and Gigabyte for the most part).

I'm mostly interested in picking up an RTX 4070 Super, searching around I don't think my system will bottleneck it too hard at 1440p for most games but I sort of need the better ray tracing performance for some unreal architectural projects I'm working on. I'm planning to do a whole system upgrade in 2025 with new gen CPU and GPU.

So, for any MSI RTX owner either Ventus or Gaming Slim, could you please let me know how's the temps and noise levels been for you? And if you experienced any major coil whines?

Any help would be appreciated.

I got the Ventus 4080 super and it has the most horrendous coil whine I ever heard. It is going back today. Other then that it was quiet and cool.

I got the Ventus 4080 super and it has the most horrendous coil whine I ever heard. It is going back today. Other then that it was quiet and cool.
That blows. I'm hoping the 4080 super stock starts picking up soon. Probably shooting for the FE.

MC only has PNY and Zotac 4080 Supers in stock atm so idk what to swap out.
Never owned a PNY, maybe check one of them out? I don't have bias against zotac except that they were one of the worst offenders about gouging during covid/crypto bubble.

I'm not in the market for a 4080 Super since they're too expensive for my budget - HOWEVER, I have read posts (not just this forum) about ppl buying those - and they all seem pretty good (brands). I would probably pick the cheapest one out of those 2 - but, lots of ppl have reported good experiences - quiet cards - little to no coil while with either. Just what I've found - my impressions - if that helps, at all.

I'm not in the market for a 4080 Super since they're too expensive for my budget - HOWEVER, I have read posts (not just this forum) about ppl buying those - and they all seem pretty good (brands). I would probably pick the cheapest one out of those 2 - but, lots of ppl have reported good experiences - quiet cards - little to no coil while with either. Just what I've found - my impressions - if that helps, at all.
Yea. Think I'll get the PNY XLR8 Gaming Verto.

Pny cards are usually no frills but very stable and reliable. They don’t usually take the performance crown, but are stable enough to be used by OEM’s for many prebuilts. They’ve also been around literally for decades. They sell so much in the commercial oem sector that their retail consumer cards are often overlooked or not noticed next to all the rgb jazz many cards have now.

I had a Gaming X Slim 4070 Ti and it was a great card. It was cool and quiet. Temps were really good, and the case fans were louder. The only reason I don't have it is because it was within the return window of when the Supers came out.

I had a Gaming X Slim 4070 Ti and it was a great card. It was cool and quiet. Temps were really good, and the case fans were louder. The only reason I don't have it is because it was within the return window of when the Supers came out.
Other then the horrendous coil whine the card was great. It was quiet and sat upper 50s lower 60s under full load.

Thanks guys for the input, for coil whine searching around most people seem to agree it's a luck thing that could affect any brand and might have to do with the PSU combination as well. I seem to be hearing better things about the gaming X overall compared to the Ventus, I'll most probably end up buying that version and I'll update this thread with how it goes.

Just picked up an MSI Gaming X Slim RTX 4070 Ti SUPER (another 4090 downgrade rig) open box from Micro Center for $782. Cool card - will game on it tonight.

EDIT: no coil whine or issues. Running OCCT Personal 12.1.15 "3D Standard" stress test and it has stayed under 70C the entire time at 100% load. Super quiet card.

I see it is hitting GPU performance limiters...I am going to have to monitor that. That shouldn't be happening. We'll see if it does that when gaming. It is an artificial benchmark as part of a stress testing suite so...

EDIT2: thing is hitting "VRel" limits during gaming - which is Voltage Reliability - probably the person that returned this card was spot on. Running MSI OC Scanner. Maybe Micro Center will let me swap it out for another brand new card due to the inconvenience. If not I'll probably get the ASUS TUF standard (non-OC) since that's $800.

EDIT3: wow this thing is going back...OC Scanner with default settings (just power/temp limiters maxed - no OC):

4070tisuperslim_ocscanner.png

EDIT 4: WOW! Micro Center hooked me up - returned the card, asked to talk to a manager - and they gave me a brand new 4070 Ti SUPER TUF for $730 (the "open box" price) - which is huge. Awesome store @ St Louis Park, MN!!!!!

OCCT-24211-073915.png4070tisuperslim_hwinfo.png

IMG_5206.jpegIMG_5207.jpeg

Last edited:
Just an update now that I got my MSI 4070 Super Gaming X Slim for a few days. Here are my notes so far:

- Card runs very quiet and cool when testing with 3DMark's Speedway and Unigine's Superposition benchmarks.
- My GPU load was around 98-99% average during those so I assume my CPU isn't bottlenecking it too hard during them. Temps were in 50s and low 60s with the hot spot in GPU-Z being a bit higher reaching high 60s but that's definitely more than fine.
- Fan was running at 35% under full load and was very quiet.
- Under normal gaming scenarios those were less in general which is expected.
- I didn't notice any coil whine noise issues and I attempted to run things with 250-300+ FPS (I heard some say high FPS could cause it more no idea how true that is).

So yeah so far I think the card runs great, I might be tempted to upgrade to an LGA1700 or AM4/5 CPU if I see a good used combo but have to see how many games I play will make use of the CPU upgrade.

I didn't attempt any overclocking stuff, hell I haven't even done it on my 9900k, I've just been very lazy and my job requires a stable machine so didn't bother with it much, last time I did some overclocking was on my i7 920 lol.

Just picked up an MSI Gaming X Slim RTX 4070 Ti SUPER (another 4090 downgrade rig) open box from Micro Center for $782. Cool card - will game on it tonight.

EDIT: no coil whine or issues. Running OCCT Personal 12.1.15 "3D Standard" stress test and it has stayed under 70C the entire time at 100% load. Super quiet card.

I see it is hitting GPU performance limiters...I am going to have to monitor that. That shouldn't be happening. We'll see if it does that when gaming. It is an artificial benchmark as part of a stress testing suite so...

EDIT2: thing is hitting "VRel" limits during gaming - which is Voltage Reliability - probably the person that returned this card was spot on. Running MSI OC Scanner. Maybe Micro Center will let me swap it out for another brand new card due to the inconvenience. If not I'll probably get the ASUS TUF standard (non-OC) since that's $800.

EDIT3: wow this thing is going back...OC Scanner with default settings (just power/temp limiters maxed - no OC):

View attachment 634388

EDIT 4: WOW! Micro Center hooked me up - returned the card, asked to talk to a manager - and they gave me a brand new 4070 Ti SUPER TUF for $730 (the "open box" price) - which is huge. Awesome store @ St Louis Park, MN!!!!!

View attachment 634381View attachment 634382

View attachment 634366View attachment 634367
Awesome to hear you scored a great deal like that. SLP Micro Center is my home store as well.

Just an update now that I got my MSI 4070 Super Gaming X Slim for a few days. Here are my notes so far:

- Card runs very quiet and cool when testing with 3DMark's Speedway and Unigine's Superposition benchmarks.
- My GPU load was around 98-99% average during those so I assume my CPU isn't bottlenecking it too hard during them. Temps were in 50s and low 60s with the hot spot in GPU-Z being a bit higher reaching high 60s but that's definitely more than fine.
- Fan was running at 35% under full load and was very quiet.
- Under normal gaming scenarios those were less in general which is expected.
- I didn't notice any coil whine noise issues and I attempted to run things with 250-300+ FPS (I heard some say high FPS could cause it more no idea how true that is).

So yeah so far I think the card runs great, I might be tempted to upgrade to an LGA1700 or AM4/5 CPU if I see a good used combo but have to see how many games I play will make use of the CPU upgrade.

I didn't attempt any overclocking stuff, hell I haven't even done it on my 9900k, I've just been very lazy and my job requires a stable machine so didn't bother with it much, last time I did some overclocking was on my i7 920 lol.
Glad to hear it is working out for you. This is the same experience I had with mine.

I ended up with a Gaming X Slim 4090 as (other than the FE) it’s pretty much the only available 4090 that’ll fit in my media/gaming mini-ITX build. No coil whine to speak of and for all intents and purposes it does its job admirably well.

Back