Mouses for life?

Folly

Weaksauce
The mouses I've been using for during the past few years were all great, priced around £50-£85, so not top of the range but certainly not cheap and clearly built to be excellent for a very specific and limited period of time, usually a year or two.

This time I'd really like to buy a mouse that I shouldn't need to replace so quickly. I'm wondering if there are any bomb proof mouses out there, well engineered, solid and durable, built with quality materials that if well looked after and properly maintained should last for years. I'm really not averse to the occasional strip, clean, service and reassemble etc.

Just a basic wired mouse with scroll wheel, maybe a couple of additional buttons to change sensitivity etc. Does such a thing exist? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ive been using the deathadder razer for 3 years think it was on sale for $30 at the time. before that a corsair m65 for 5 years. Corsair still worked when i replaced it, just wasnt as comfy. Most ive done is replace the mouse skates on either of them. I dont think ive had a mouse stop working to be honest, usually just want something else or there is a really nice sale.

Reactions: Folly
like this
I've used tons of mice and have never had a durability problem. I would question what you're doing with your mice that they break on you so soon.

My current mouse is the Hati https://github.com/MaximilianKohler/Archive/wiki/Mice,-keyboards,-gaming. The issue I've been having is that debris gets into the button switches and stops them from registering clicks. I think that's a common problem which mice like the Razer Viper specifically use optical switches to avoid. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCOI9lwymhs

like this
I still have my MX518 (I think it's the later revision with different feet) that I bought in 2011.

It sort of "failed" like 2 years ago - the scroll wheel would register erratically. So I just opened it up and carefully cleaned the whole wheel assembly, made sure the detector holes are all clear, and off it went.
Oh, and the big teflon pad became unglued on one side (it's designed wrong: a pointed edge faces outward, thus catching the pad and in effect eventually detaching). So I just cut that pointed part off, made it smoother and all is well.

The cable will probably go next, they often do, but that's also a non-issue and an easy fix.

like this
I expect a mouse to last me at least five years. I've had some switches crap out after only two. I don't think I'm specifically hard on them, but I do have large hands and kielbasa fingers. So when I find a mouse I like and feel is durable, I buy multiples. One for work, two for home, and backups.

And the brand I've bought most is Microsoft. The Darth Vader-styled SideWinder Gaming Mouse I bought in '08 lasted almost ten years. And when MSFT brought back Intellimouse, I bought in droves.

The mouses I've been using for during the past few years were all great, priced around £50-£85, so not top of the range but certainly not cheap and clearly built to be excellent for a very specific and limited period of time, usually a year or two.

This time I'd really like to buy a mouse that I shouldn't need to replace so quickly. I'm wondering if there are any bomb proof mouses out there, well engineered, solid and durable, built with quality materials that if well looked after and properly maintained should last for years. I'm really not averse to the occasional strip, clean, service and reassemble etc.
The answer is no.
Just a basic wired mouse with scroll wheel, maybe a couple of additional buttons to change sensitivity etc. Does such a thing exist? Any suggestions appreciated.
Yes. There are many choices for simple mice as you've described from every major vendor.
Ive been using the deathadder razer for 3 years think it was on sale for $30 at the time. before that a corsair m65 for 5 years. Corsair still worked when i replaced it, just wasnt as comfy. Most ive done is replace the mouse skates on either of them. I dont think ive had a mouse stop working to be honest, usually just want something else or there is a really nice sale.
You are lucky then. Hardcore gamers usually burn through Razer mice pretty quickly given their dog shit build quality. Deathadders are famous for their double-click of death, etc. It's also nutty that you used an uncomfortable mouse for five years. I give myself time to get used to a mouse and if I don't start to like it after a couple of days it goes back to the store.
I've used tons of mice and have never had a durability problem. I would question what you're doing with your mice that they break on you so soon.
How much time do you spend on your computer every day? I work from home for both jobs, and both are computer related. Depending on what's going on that week I can spend as little as 8-10 hours on a computer and as much as 20 or more getting up to feed myself and go to the bathroom. Now the days where I'm on the computer that much are relatively rare but it does happen a few times a year. On average, I probably work for 8-10 hours and then game for two or three. At that rate of usage, a mouse usually lasts me anywhere from 2 to 3 years at most. Often, I replace them every couple of years because I want to try something new or because the mouse failed.

I've had very few Logitech mice die on me, but I've had a G9X shit the bed, one or two 500 series mice (after owning nearly all of them) and I think I killed a G502. I have three of those so one out of three so far isn't bad. Razer and other mice do not last as long for me as Logitech mice do. I bought an ASUS Spatha once (which was super expensive) and after a couple weeks it started to show significant finish wear on the buttons. So that was shit. Though the mouse felt well made other than that. Good heft, felt sturdy, etc. (The software was shockingly good too.)

The point is, when you use a computer for more than just casual gaming and the like, the failure rates of peripherals goes up significantly. I have older mice on lighter use systems that are several years old. Why do they last longer? It's because I use those machines casually and often for specific purposes.
My current mouse is the Hati https://github.com/MaximilianKohler/Archive/wiki/Mice,-keyboards,-gaming. The issue I've been having is that debris gets into the button switches and stops them from registering clicks. I think that's a common problem which mice like the Razer Viper specifically use optical switches to avoid. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCOI9lwymhs
Looks like a knock off of a Glorious Gaming Model O mouse.

You are lucky then. Hardcore gamers usually burn through Razer mice pretty quickly given their dog shit build quality. Deathadders are famous for their double-click of death, etc. It's also nutty that you used an uncomfortable mouse for five years. I give myself time to get used to a mouse and if I don't start to like it after a couple of days it goes back to the store.

Ah must be then, I bought a DA for work too, at least was better feel than the generic 2 button dell mouse i had. My corsair wasn't uncomfortable, just when I got my DA i felt it was more comfortable. I usually have a very light grip on the mouse so it often isnt a big deal to me. And for me $30-$40 every few years is okay.

like this
Ah must be then, I bought a DA for work too, at least was better feel than the generic 2 button dell mouse i had. My corsair wasn't uncomfortable, just when I got my DA i felt it was more comfortable. I usually have a very light grip on the mouse so it often isnt a big deal to me. And for me $30-$40 every few years is okay.

The problem with DAs is after about 5 years, the texture on the mouse buttons wears away if you use it regularly.

The answer is no.

Yes. There are many choices for simple mice as you've described from every major vendor.

How much time do you spend on your computer every day? I work from home for both jobs, and both are computer related. Depending on what's going on that week I can spend as little as 8-10 hours on a computer and as much as 20 or more getting up to feed myself and go to the bathroom. Now the days where I'm on the computer that much are relatively rare but it does happen a few times a year. On average, I probably work for 8-10 hours and then game for two or three. At that rate of usage, a mouse usually lasts me anywhere from 2 to 3 years at most. Often, I replace them every couple of years because I want to try something new or because the mouse failed.

I've had very few Logitech mice die on me, but I've had a G9X shit the bed, one or two 500 series mice (after owning nearly all of them) and I think I killed a G502. I have three of those so one out of three so far isn't bad. Razer and other mice do not last as long for me as Logitech mice do. I bought an ASUS Spatha once (which was super expensive) and after a couple weeks it started to show significant finish wear on the buttons. So that was shit. Though the mouse felt well made other than that. Good heft, felt sturdy, etc. (The software was shockingly good too.)

The point is, when you use a computer for more than just casual gaming and the like, the failure rates of peripherals goes up significantly. I have older mice on lighter use systems that are several years old. Why do they last longer? It's because I use those machines casually and often for specific purposes.

Looks like a knock off of a Glorious Gaming Model O mouse.
This guy gets it. I work on my computer all day and play games when I can. There is no bullet proof mouse.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

Yes.

Case in point: my daily-use mouse is a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000. I've had it for a very long time and I'm at my computer 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, including working from home as a developer for ~10 years. It has the number 0839 printed on its bottom label and I wouldn't be suprised if that's the manufacturing year and week. As I said, I've had it for a very long time. :)

Buttons are still flawless, as are the bottom slide pads. The ribs on the scroll wheel are a bit worn, and I've had to take the mouse apart to remove hair a couple of times, but it still works great!

And, it seems you can still buy it! Of course, I don't know if it's still made to the same standards...

Edit: Half the price at Office Depot.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes.

Case in point: my daily-use mouse is a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000. I've had it for a very long time and I'm at my computer 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, including working from home as a developer for ~10 years. It has the number 0839 printed on its bottom label and I wouldn't be suprised if that's the manufacturing year and week. As I said, I've had it for a very long time. :)

Buttons are still flawless, as are the bottom slide pads. The ribs on the scroll wheel are a bit worn, and I've had to take the mouse apart to remove hair a couple of times, but it still works great!

And, it seems you can still buy it! Of course, I don't know if it's still made to the same standards...

Edit: Half the price at Office Depot.
To be fair, I think Microsoft usually built a better quality mouse than Logitech does. However, I am not overly fond of their ergonomics and when companies like Logitech started building gaming focused mice, Microsoft really never kept up. Their mice work, don't get me wrong but if you like buttons or a certain aesthetic, they don't really compete. Also, I've always tended to prefer Logitech's ergonomics to Microsoft's. That said, I like the Razer mice ergonomics as well but they have died on me so fucking fast that I won't bother with their stuff.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I decided on two in the end.

Model O - Because cheap and seems like it might be an excellent mouse primarily for gaming
Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000 - Because I found a boxed 2008 example for a great price, and it looks much more like the no nonsense practical workhorse that I was looking for, could be ideal for daily punishment.

Two mouses for the less than I've spent on a single mouse in the past, I will review in 3 years when we'll see how your recommendations hold up.

but they have died on me so fucking fast that I won't bother with their stuff
That's why they're called "DeathAdders"...they die fast & hard, & add to the planet's ever-growing ewaste problem over & over again :)

Between my intelli's & my MX Master 2's (all of which are going on 6 years old), I haven't came across any other rodents that I prefer more in the past 5 years or so...

Mice last at least 5 years for me. Not so many went bad on me since the introduction of optical/laser mice, I just replace them after too much wear/tear. I like the rosewill mouse and have been using it for some time now:

https://www.amazon.com/ROSEWILL-Lighting-Computer-Ergonomic-M60/dp/B076BZVPB8

Scroll wheel + buttons to control cursor speed + ergonomic easy to access buttons for back/forward. That's almost all I need.

For more ergonomic, I use the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Right. I think I have had this mouse since 2014. It is been so long I can't remember but it is still fully working. Looks weird but I also like it and the software that comes with it is good.

https://evoluent.com/products/vm4r/

Both mice are connected to my main machine.

My Naga Epic is still chugging along. Same for an original Naga, and a drawer of other assorted mice. The most I've had to do is open them and clean the switches when there's been an issue with clicking.

They all have moving parts and are made out of plastic. The usage of engineering plastics is a balance between cost and durability.

There is as a result no mouse that will last forever. And even a mouse designed to be used for, say 50 years, would not just require a robust build but maintenance. Most people don’t want mice built of metal as that just makes it fatiguing to use (even if only internal wear parts not the outside) nor does anyone want to have to oil their mice, a major benefit of using parts made out of nylon.

That said my MX Master 2S lasted around 7 years. And still technically works. Just was having more aspects slowly break. Having to disassemble to wiggle cables was also kind of annoying to get the laser to work. Anyway now I’m on MX Master 3S and I expect it will last at last as long.

Last edited:
I used a Razer Diamondback for 14 years before it finally went to that Great Mouse Pad in the Sky. The closest thing to the DBack now is the Viper. My current mouse is the Basilisk V3 Pro. It's survived several drops from my desk to the hardwood floor so I'm pretty encouraged about its toughness.

I still have my MX518 (I think it's the later revision with different feet) that I bought in 2011.

It sort of "failed" like 2 years ago - the scroll wheel would register erratically. So I just opened it up and carefully cleaned the whole wheel assembly, made sure the detector holes are all clear, and off it went.
Oh, and the big teflon pad became unglued on one side (it's designed wrong: a pointed edge faces outward, thus catching the pad and in effect eventually detaching). So I just cut that pointed part off, made it smoother and all is well.

The cable will probably go next, they often do, but that's also a non-issue and an easy fix.

I ended up buying the re-release just based off how much I liked the mx518. Of course it looks like it was discontinued in 2022.

Hopefully Steelseries will eventually do the following (not holding my breath)....

a. realize their software suite is bullshit, and just make a driver package.
b. realize money is fantastic and make a updated modern sensor wireless Sensei
c. additionally realize I am awesome and relentlessly contact me on social media trying to give me some number of said new wireless Sensei mice for free.
d. Hopefully they will also get a nice but not especially expensive indoor plant for their reception desk.

Last edited:
Hopefully Steelseries will eventually do the following (not holding my breath)....

a. realize their software suite is bullshit, and just make a driver package.

b. realize money is fantastic and made a updated modern sensor wireless Sensei
c. additionally realize I am awesome and relentlessly contact me on social media trying to give me some number of said new wireless Sensei mice for free.
d. Hopefully they will also get a nice but not especially expensive indoor plant for their reception desk.
Apply point A to pretty much all the companies.

Back