Microsoft says Xbox has "lost the console wars."

I don't want consoles to fail. Competition is good. But must-have exclusives sell consoles ... and Microsoft has utterly failed in that department for years now. It also doesn't help that 99% of Xbox "exclusives" are also on PC. Now they're talking about making Xbox exclusives multi-platform. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were trying to kill the Xbox on purpose, but in reality, it's just terrible leadership.

Just think of the e-waste consoles create. Maybe if the only people on the planet were just the gamers on Hardforum.

Just think of the e-waste consoles create. Maybe if the only people on the planet were just the gamers on Hardforum.
I don't know what crack you're smoking, but people generally keep consoles for a very long time and then generally sell them when they upgrade. I still have consoles from 20-30 years ago. Consoles become collector's items after a certain point. Consoles are a very terrible example of e-waste.

Gen 7 yeah but towards the end with Kinect there were signs. Loads of people said it was going to be a problem for the One and like you said it effectively killed their momentum.

What’s dumb is that even with that horrible launch they could have strived and been competitive. They just never made the investments that needed to be made with their in house studios.

What they needed was their own Shuhei Yoshida. Who funny enough Sony has now relegated to a demotion if I’m not mistaken. MS just thought they could buy everyone and everything.
Old habits die hard. Embrace, extend, extinguish.
Xbox is gay.

It had to be said.
Good thing it's cool to be gay these days.

An Xbox Game Pass slowdown might be why I’m hearing that a number of Xbox exclusives are coming to consoles with which Microsoft usually competes. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is getting ready to launch a select number of Xbox games on PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Weeks of rumors suggest that Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and even Bethesda titles like Starfield and Indiana Jones could appear on non-Xbox platforms.

The first two games that are set to appear on rival consoles are Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, according to sources. Microsoft is also currently planning to launch Sea of Thieves on non-Xbox platforms later this year, with other first-party titles also under consideration.

Microsoft targeted a 73 percent growth rate for Game Pass subscriptions for a single fiscal year that ended in June 2022, but only managed 28 percent. The company then dropped Xbox Game Pass growth as a target for Satya Nadella’s executive compensation last year, after first exceeding its ambitious Game Pass internal targets in 2020 and then failing to meet compensation targets for two years in a row

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/12/24067370/microsoft-xbox-playstation-switch-games-future-hardware

An Xbox Game Pass slowdown might be why I’m hearing that a number of Xbox exclusives are coming to consoles with which Microsoft usually competes. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is getting ready to launch a select number of Xbox games on PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Weeks of rumors suggest that Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and even Bethesda titles like Starfield and Indiana Jones could appear on non-Xbox platforms.

The first two games that are set to appear on rival consoles are Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, according to sources. Microsoft is also currently planning to launch Sea of Thieves on non-Xbox platforms later this year, with other first-party titles also under consideration.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/12/24067370/microsoft-xbox-playstation-switch-games-future-hardware
If Microsoft wants to continue to grow at an unsustainable rate, then they're going to have to throw more money at publishers and developers to get more games on the service on day 1.

I wonder if we’d ever see a Forza franchise game on PlayStation.
haha, that's the first question that popped into my head when pondering all this talk of MS making their games multiplatform. Forza on Playstation would literally melt my brain

haha, that's the first question that popped into my head when pondering all this talk of MS making their games multiplatform. Forza on Playstation would literally melt my brain

I switched to XBox/Forza after Gran Turismo 6. I got sick of Gran Turismo basically being the Ultimate Nissan GTR Simulator...

I chose poorly.

Gran Turismo 5 never quite felt like a complete game, and Gran Turismo 6 just felt like what a completed GT5 should have been in the first place.

I also still vividly remember waiting in anger for YEARS for Gran Turismo on the PSP to come out.

Last edited:
I switched to XBox/Forza after Gran Turismo 6. I got sick of Gran Turismo basically being the Ultimate Nissan GTR Simulator...

I chose poorly.

Gran Turismo 5 never quite felt like a complete game, and Gran Turismo 6 just felt like what a completed GT5 should have been in the first place.

I also still vividly remember waiting in anger for YEARS for Gran Turismo on the PSP to come out.
i enjoy both franchies (sans the current Motorsport..) but my hope is that Assetto Corsa 2 comes out swinging and pushes the genre forward. the fact that they've been extremely tight-lipped about its development is either a VERY good or a VERY bad sign... but i'm leaning towards good.

I wonder if we’d ever see a Forza franchise game on PlayStation.
I have played every game in each series the day they came out. Gran Turismo is overall the better series. The only time Forza Motorsport was better than Gran Turismo, in my opinion, was Forza Motorsport 4 vs. Gran Turismo 5. They can bring it if they want, but I doubt it will find an audience on PlayStation consoles.

I chose poorly.

It's cosmically funny that both GT5 and FM3 came out within a year of each other, and both were released in an incomplete state. In both cases, the series are system sellers, and both came out more than 3 years into their respective console's lifespan. Some executive must have said that the games needed to come out when they were already halfway into the generation 7 lifespan, so they were pushed out the door.

Microsoft inked a deal with Intel to produce custom processors on their 18A process. Will we finally have a competitor in the console APU space in the future?

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/21/24079336/microsoft-intel-chip-partnership-foundry-tsmc
I'm gonna guess it's for an AI processor, that said intel will license x86 cores now for custom CPU's. So maybe. Seems like a huge waste of money for Microsoft to design a custom chip for a console. Games is what people want, not fancy chips.

Phil Spencer wants Epic Games Store and others on Xbox consoles​

To grow the console market, Xbox will need to be more like PC

Spencer said, “Moore’s Law has slowed down. The price of the components of a console aren’t coming down as fast as they have in previous generations.” Worse, he explained, the console market isn’t growing, with more gamers moving to PC and handheld options. Now, the notion of subsidizing a console — and forcing players to purchase games through the official storefront to help recoup costs — might not make sense. The walls meant to lock people into consoles might be motivating them to stay out.

“[Subsidizing hardware] becomes more challenging in today’s world,” Spencer said. “And I will say, and this may seem too altruistic, I don’t know that it’s growing the industry. So I think, what are the barriers? What are the things that create friction in today’s world for creators and players? And how can we be part of opening up that model?”

https://www.polygon.com/24108670/xbox-epic-games-store-phil-spencer-interview

Spencer said, “Moore’s Law has slowed down. The price of the components of a console aren’t coming down as fast as they have in previous generations.” Worse, he explained, the console market isn’t growing, with more gamers moving to PC and handheld options. Now, the notion of subsidizing a console — and forcing players to purchase games through the official storefront to help recoup costs — might not make sense. The walls meant to lock people into consoles might be motivating them to stay out.

“[Subsidizing hardware] becomes more challenging in today’s world,” Spencer said. “And I will say, and this may seem too altruistic, I don’t know that it’s growing the industry. So I think, what are the barriers? What are the things that create friction in today’s world for creators and players? And how can we be part of opening up that model?”

At this point, they might as well just stop making the Xbox. This sounds incredibly defeatist and pathetic. They've failed so hard for so many years and this is what it's come down to?

At this point, they might as well just stop making the Xbox. This sounds incredibly defeatist and pathetic. They've failed so hard for so many years and this is what it's come down to?

I think the idea is the Xbox would be more like an android phone.

Despite other apps and appstores existing on android, people still overwhelmingly use the google play store and all the google apps, so the more android phones sold the more money google makes.

They might lose some money to people buying games on other stores (or maybe they won't allow the same games on them), but they'll more than make up with hardware/peripheals and other game sales.

I'm all for it. I would be much more likely to buy a new Xbox if it was more like a PC.

No, thank you. I don't want exclusivity inception to happen on consoles.

Im not sure epic and MS would see eye to eye on the % cut from every sale, unless MS is willing only take like 10% or less otherwise epic probably wouldn't have it.

Back