Microsoft expects discless PS5 Slim to launch this year for $400

Marees

2[H]4U
We know that Sony is reportedly working on a PS5 slim console. The PlayStation 5 model D, as it is codenamed, doesn’t include a disc drive and is lighter and thinner at the same time. The console reportedly includes an extra USB C port at the back of the unit where users can plug in a PS5 disc drive and use it on the device.

While these details haven’t changed in about a year now, Microsoft claims that Sony will launch the PS5 Slim in 2023. According to documents from the latest FTC hearing, the company says that the PlayStation 5 Slim is expected to release “later this year”.

Microsoft says the console is going to cost $399.99.

https://www.glitched.online/microsoft-claims-the-ps5-slim-is-arriving-this-year-at-399/

Source: FTC via Exputer

If that's true, the PS5 Slim is going to eviscerate Series S 1tb sales.

Edit - series s model clarification

Last edited:
The diskless PS5 as always been $400 no ? It is nice that cost-cutting achieve to combat inflation, but should not be much if any game changing affair

Or was the digital PS5 almost never actually sold $400, just in extra controller-game package that costed more ?

The diskless PS5 as always been $400 no ? It is nice that cost-cutting achieve to combat inflation, but should not be much if any game changing affair

Or was the digital PS5 almost never actually sold $400, just in extra controller-game package that costed more ?
True. Discless PS5 has been $400

The news is about the (yet to be launched) PS5 slim which has the option of plugging in optical drive using usb-c port

So this is what is likely to happen:

1. Sony launches PS5 slim for $400 along with external optical drive for $100 this year
2. Next year Sony launches a PS5 pro discless for $600

True. Discless PS5 has been $400

The news is about the (yet to be launched) PS5 slim which has the option of plugging in optical drive using usb-c port

The news is about the (yet to be launched) PS5 slim
MY comment was reacting to the
If that's true, the PS5 Slim is going to eviscerate Series S sales.
Just above, why would the diskless PS5 slim $400 eviscerate Series S more than the current $400 PS5 already do.

has the option of plugging in optical drive using usb-c port
How many people have an compatible bluray drive just lying around to be particularly relevant, those diskless PS5 buyer usually do not care much for the drive has the player option is not bad priced external bluray drive tend to be around that price.

Just above, why would the diskless PS5 slim $400 eviscerate Series S more than the current $400 PS5 already do.

My bad - I forgot to add the '1TB' designation on my original reply referring to the new model of S, the one that adds the extra storage but also incurs an extra $50 for it. If Sony is going to keep the PS5 Slim's price the same as the original disc-less, have an improved design, and have the option for a disc drive add-on to give it feature parity with the disc-based version (non-Pro) - it's going to eat even more of the Series S lunch. At least when the price difference was $100, there's some argument to be had to get the S over the disc-less, but that's a harder argument at $50 difference.

My bad - I forgot to add the '1TB' designation on my original reply referring to the new model of S, the one that adds the extra storage but also incurs an extra $50 for it. If Sony is going to keep the PS5 Slim's price the same as the original disc-less, have an improved design, and have the option for a disc drive add-on to give it feature parity with the disc-based version (non-Pro) - it's going to eat even more of the Series S lunch. At least when the price difference was $100, there's some argument to be had to get the S over the disc-less, but that's a harder argument at $50 difference.
The 512GB Series S is $250, or $150 less than the PS5 Digital. The 1TB incurs a $100 price increase over the 512GB model.

The 512GB Series S is $250, or $150 less than the PS5 Digital. The 1TB incurs a $100 price increase over the 512GB model.

To be fair, that $250 price is (supposedly) temporary, so it's "officially" a $50 price increase. Either way, imo, they should've kept the price the same as the original model, or if they knew the new PS5 Slim Disc-less was on the way, counter with a lower priced S or a disc-less X at the same price as the PS5 Slim.

To be fair, that $250 price is (supposedly) temporary, so it's "officially" a $50 price increase. Either way, imo, they should've kept the price the same as the original model, or if they knew the new PS5 Slim Disc-less was on the way, counter with a lower priced S or a disc-less X at the same price as the PS5 Slim.

I think it was the holiday bundle that was officially priced at $249.99. They've since had $100 off sales on the non-bundle S if you're willing to wait for one.

I think it was the holiday bundle that was officially priced at $249.99. They've since had $100 off sales on the non-bundle S if you're willing to wait for one.
Yeah, heck Verizon had a deal for $150 new at one point. It's not hard to find $200 refurbs or $250 new on them with a little patience.

Back