Long time; how you all been?

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
Greetings, crunchers, folders and point chasing loonies the lot of you. :D

I'm not dead, just got... bored? Distracted? Being WFH for nearly three years certainly played a part in the whole thing. Think most of my boxes were doing WCG and, when that stopped putting out WUs for however long, I just turned the boxes off and... well.. that's that. :oops: Also wasn't entirely certain this place (HF/HOCP) still existed and my Dory brain finally remembered to check. Glad y'all are still here! :)

Have a whole freaking pile of Sapphire Rapids Platinum processors sitting around, but not much to use them in. An odd predicament. Still have at least 90% of the old hardware from before sitting around. Although our company cybersecurity have finally gotten at least somewhat smart; which is always fun. Might have to break down and get a mobile hotspot... so long as it has a wired option and the wifi can be turned off. ;)

So what's new and exciting around these parts? Any cool new projects? Or still more-or-less the same? And, most importantly, has anyone taken over my reign as "That Company"? :ROFLMAO:

Welcome back. Glad to hear from you ;)

Welcome back. Glad to hear from you ;)
Still chasing your numbers with much older HW, for sure! WFH definitely changes the dynamic of hobbies vs work activities. Inflation, especially in cost of HW and energy is not helping, either. But, idle hands...

Greetings, crunchers, folders and point chasing loonies the lot of you. :D

I'm not dead, just got... bored? Distracted? Being WFH for nearly three years certainly played a part in the whole thing. Think most of my boxes were doing WCG and, when that stopped putting out WUs for however long, I just turned the boxes off and... well.. that's that. :oops: Also wasn't entirely certain this place (HF/HOCP) still existed and my Dory brain finally remembered to check. Glad y'all are still here! :)

Have a whole freaking pile of Sapphire Rapids Platinum processors sitting around, but not much to use them in. An odd predicament. Still have at least 90% of the old hardware from before sitting around. Although our company cybersecurity have finally gotten at least somewhat smart; which is always fun. Might have to break down and get a mobile hotspot... so long as it has a wired option and the wifi can be turned off. ;)

So what's new and exciting around these parts? Any cool new projects? Or still more-or-less the same? And, most importantly, has anyone taken over my reign as "That Company"? :ROFLMAO:
You could always just get a cell phone and tether it. Then use ICS if it is cheaper or easier to "camoflauge".

That would be... a lot... of hardware to move out without raising some massive red flags. :LOL: But, no, no FS thread. :p

Have been thinking about one of those TMo 5G "home internet" boxes for $30 that they keep spamming me about. IIRC it doesn't have data caps, no contract and the price is locked... allegedly... but the needing an address thing could be a problem. If there's a better/easier/cheaper phone based option I'm all ears.

That would be... a lot... of hardware to move out without raising some massive red flags. :LOL: But, no, no FS thread. :p

Have been thinking about one of those TMo 5G "home internet" boxes for $30 that they keep spamming me about. IIRC it doesn't have data caps, no contract and the price is locked... allegedly... but the needing an address thing could be a problem. If there's a better/easier/cheaper phone based option I'm all ears.
I have TM for phone and 5G on it but they won't sell me the internet service at my home. I, too, was looking at it for zero data caps/cost, versus speed.

I have a Verizon mifi I use for work when traveling. It's unlimited and about $65 mos.

I have TM for phone and 5G on it but they won't sell me the internet service at my home. I, too, was looking at it for zero data caps/cost, versus speed.

I have a Verizon mifi I use for work when traveling. It's unlimited and about $65 mos.

Looks like I'm in the same boat. Tried some addresses near work and no-go. You reminded me that I do have 40GB/m of 5G mobile tethering, and then slower unlimited after that. So now need to figure out how to make that happen... since am already paying for it! 😅 Presuming I can make it work, will just have to configure BOINC to do work with the sporadic internet access.

Looks like I'm in the same boat. Tried some addresses near work and no-go. You reminded me that I do have 40GB/m of 5G mobile tethering, and then slower unlimited after that. So now need to figure out how to make that happen... since am already paying for it! 😅 Presuming I can make it work, will just have to configure BOINC to do work with the sporadic internet access.
Well...though Visible sucks in many ways, you can certainly use one of their lines in a phone and tether it back to a PC or router. I have done that for a few years on a few connections and use ICS to feed the tether from a laptop/PC to a router to share it with several other devices. It is $30/month for their cheaper option but depending on the deal, you can sometimes get it down to $25/month. It is truly unlimited and includes hotspotting. The speeds are heavily throttled during "congestion" as they are a bottom tier MVNO (owned by Verizon) and it really is hit and miss on location.

I also run a few T-Mobile business lines a friend hooked me up with that only cost $10/month. You can tether to those and they continue using the unlimited data rather than the hotspot data. I don't know if the residential lines do it but would assume so. I have done it with Boost and Metro deals as well.

Back