Kingston PC4000 HyperX or Corsair PC3200 XMS XL stuff?

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
Hi, I was looking at circuit city's site, they're selling Kingston HyperX PC4000 for $130 a stick, which is about online price. Currently I have corsair xms pc3200 rated at c2. I can't get this ram to run at 1:1 ratio with my p4 @ 3.6ghz, I can only use 5:4 even if I put the timmings up to 3-4-4-8 and add voltage. Right now I'am running at 2-3-3-7, 5:4 ratio @ 3.6ghz. I was wondering, is my ram holding me back from OC? I can boot into windows @ 3.75Ghz at 1.6vcore but it's super unstable =/. I do want to run 1:1 at 3.6ghz atleast but this ram won't do 480 T_T. Should I buy the new Corsair XMS PC3200 XL stuff, Twinx kit, or should I goto my local circuit city today and pickup 1GB of PC4000 3-4-4-8, are the timmings really worth the money for corsair stuff? $283 with tax for 1GB Kingston 4000 hyperx or $380 for the corsair PC3200 XMS XL stuff 2-2-2-5. My goal here is to run 1:1 ratio, and possibly get a bit more out of my CPU. Thanks in advance for your advice.

- ReTiCuLeX

get the Kingston HyperX PC-4000 if you want higher overclocks or the other if you have the cash and care about timings i guess.

Ah well honestly, I don't know much about ram timings if it's going to make a big difference while playing games, benchys IMO are just #'s. Thanks for your responce it will gear my decision today on what to get.

Id go with the Kingston. Grant it its a possiblity that with the Corsair you mite be able to get to PC4000 bandwitdh but that just the thing its only a possibility. Also even if you do acheive ddr 500 with the corsair sticks then you got to think about stability. Just because you are able to OC your memory to whatever speeds doesnt mean its gonna be stable at that speed and one of the biggest reasons for system insability is ram. So I suggest if you want ddr 500 get ddr 500 and not ddr 400.

I'd say if you've got the extra cash to throw around, get the XL stuff. If I remember correctly, it uses ram thats rated for 500Mhz at loose timings. So its basically pc4000 @ loose timings or pc3200 @ tight timings

Back