J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming To Star Wars

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Meanwhile, there will never be a significant Asian character despite the fact that Jedi are based on samurai and Shaolin monks.

By Abrams’ logic, the sprawling Star Wars universe couldn’t possibly exist without a gay populace—even if we haven’t seen a single character identified as gay thus far. “I would love it,” he said. “To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility. So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

Oh a token gay, how enlightened. Honestly, I don't really care what they do with new characters. But, please try to stick to current canon. Don't make someone a different color or species or sexuality just for the sake of "diversity". Starwars is diverse enough.

The big 'reveal' for Episode VIII will be that Poe's gay, and is the reason Kylo turned to the dark side (Poe didn't return Kylo's affection).

Lol. I agree it doesn't really matter but I would hilarious to if they got Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family to play a gay Jedi... Considering the guy is straight in real life, I really don't understand why his character on the show doesn't offend more people in LGBT community considering he and Jesse Ferguson (actually gay) play up the gay stereotypes as far as humanly possible.

Characters in fiction that aren't exactly like me fill me with rage.

People who aren't like me are degenerates.

I'm going to 4chan to talk about how much I hate people who aren't like me!

I'm not a bigot, I just hate people who aren't like me.

People who tell me to shut my hate hole when I'm spewing hatred at them are oppressing me!

Freedom of speech is for me, not you. Go be gay in secret, you freaks.

Signed: The Intellectually Challenged Hoards of the Internet.

Another WTF moment in time. Why does the GAY population have to force it on everyone. People can be gay or straight, and nobody needs to know, but their partner. Keep it in the bedroom.

Please don't lump millions of people in with a vocal minority. Inclusiveness solely for the sake of inclusiveness is fucking stupid. All casting for movies and shows should be based solely on the best person for the job and a character's sexuality should simply be a thing that may or may not come up as the story demands it. Since the world isn't quite ready to accept that (at least the incredibly vocal groups on both sides) someone always feels the need to make a big deal out of it. There are, sadly, very few good examples of it being pulled off well.

Another WTF moment in time. Why does the GAY population have to force it on everyone. People can be gay or straight, and nobody needs to know, but their partner. Keep it in the bedroom.

The straight population forces knowledge of their orientation on everyone in a million different ways every day. You just don't notice it because you approve of it.

I don't consider myself homophobic but whenever I do see a movie or TV show showing guys doing gay things to other guys I never watch that movie or show again. It just destroys any interest I have in that show.

I don't even think I am old fashioned, I just have no interest in it and I don't want to be subjected to it. Because of this whenever I see it I blacklist those things, places, or whatever.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
I don't consider myself homophobic but whenever I do see a movie or TV show showing guys doing gay things to other guys I never watch that movie or show again. It just destroys any interest I have in that show.

I don't even think I am old fashioned, I just have no interest in it if gayness is mentioned, and I don't want to be subjected to it. Because of this whenever I see it I blacklist those things, places, or whatever.
Same with me if they get too overt with it. I don't instantly lose interest if a gay is trotted out, but if they keep shoving it in my face, try to make a political point with it, or go the PDA or gay sex scene route, I am out of there. I am all for them doing their own thing, marrying, and not being discriminated against, but the practice of male homosexuality disgusts me, sorry, I can't change that. I just don't want to see it, and since I have the option to not watch, that is what I'll do.

6j4ko0x[\img]

I don't even think I am old fashioned, I just have no interest in it and I don't want to be subjected to it. Because of this whenever I see it I blacklist those things, places, or whatever.

Same, I wont play Dragon Age because it has gay sex in it.

in this day and age: WHO CARES

That's the problem for them. They are no longer on the mainstream forefront of being alternative and edgy, and thus will do anything to remain relevant in that space, and as long as there are guilty straighters who want to show off how diverse and modern thinking they are, gay stays forced in an irrelevant spotlight no matter how offensive to both sides it really is in its execution.

why the fuck do characters have to be "gay" ? Why can't they be "people" where sexual identity simply does not matter? Let me guess, gay means they are going to talk and dress certain ways, have behaviors and mannerisms. This is all just more stereotypical bullshit.

Only people in this forum could equate knowledge and visibility with turning into a full on stereotype designed to annoy them personally...

Just to make this clear, and I'm not judging you here, but that is the definition of homophobia. Homophobia and being bigoted towards homosexuals is not the same thing. Homophobia is fear of homosexuality, not wanting to "kill all the gays".

Just to make this clear, and I'm not judging you here, but that is the definition of homophobia. Homophobia and being bigoted towards homosexuals is not the same thing. Homophobia is fear of homosexuality, not wanting to "kill all the gays".

This.

Hydrophobic materials are materials that simply will not interact with water, no matter how much water you pour on them, they just don't accept, and refuse to have anything to do with water.

Replace "Hydro" with "Homo" and you get the idea. People who won't watch a movie because it has 'gay stuff' and 'being subjected to it' don't think about the millions of gays watching movies with 'straight stuff' and MOST not really complaining about it. The fact that seeing gay acts immediately repulses you should show you there may be something 'phobic' about your preferences: nothing wrong with that, but you need to at least acknowledge it and understand that it is indeed phobic: meaning illogically fearful.

Edit: on a side note, I think that announcing to the world "Star wars will have a gay character soon!" is kind-of destroying ANY potentially gay characters already. Someone said above: Chewbaka?

C3P-0 and R2-D2? That's as husband-and-husband as it gets! Who says that Luke Skywalker is straight: last I checked, his sister forced a kiss on him, and that was THE ONLY time he participated in a sexual act in the entire series.

By saying "Hey Look! Star Wars will have a gay character now!" It's essentially saying "EVERY CHARACTER up until now has not been gay!"

I kind of think its more excluding than including.

Not really. Personally I find it repulsive. I wouldn't want to watch a person eat feces, not because I dislike the biological act of pooping, but because eating poo is repulsive.

like this
Gay people in a Hollywood production isn't news.... Finding a straight person in hollywood, now that's news.

I do not fear it. I know people and have two friends that are gay. But in all honesty I never see them do "gay" things. So when it is portrayed in media for whatever reason it to me does not represent any reality and detracts from the entertainment I was meant to have from said media. So who knows.... to each there own, live and let live and all that.

I do not fear it. I know people and have two friends that are gay. But in all honesty I never see them do "gay" things. So when it is portrayed in media for whatever reason it to me does not represent any reality and detracts from the entertainment I was meant to have from said media. So who knows.... to each there own, live and let live and all that.

If you are put-off by a man and a woman kissing the same as two dudes kissing, then you are an equal-opportunity prude.

If you are happy to see a man and a woman kiss, but get put-off by two dudes: then you are homophobic. Simple. Not a bad thing: MOST straight people ARE homophobic to a degree, as I believe MOST people of ANY race are racist to a degree. You just need to understand how that affects your decision making.

In the novels, Luke Skywalker was married to a woman named Mara Jade and had a son named Ben, and I believe Chewy had a mate and children as well. Then again, Chewy died early in the Vong war, so the current movies are tossing out previous cannon anyway.

If you are put-off by a man and a woman kissing the same as two dudes kissing, then you are an equal-opportunity prude.

If you are happy to see a man and a woman kiss, but get put-off by two dudes: then you are homophobic. Simple. Not a bad thing: MOST straight people ARE homophobic to a degree, as I believe MOST people of ANY race are racist to a degree. You just need to understand how that affects your decision making.

Disliking a thing, or finding it disgusting, or contrary to some natural order/religion or another, or just not wanting to be around a thing, is not the same as fearing it.
I am not afraid of snot nosed brats people have running around, but I do dislike them, and avoid them.

like this
Disliking a thing, or finding it disgusting, or contrary to some natural order/religion or another, or just not wanting to be around a thing, is not the same as fearing it.
I am not afraid of snot nosed brats people have running around, but I do dislike them, and avoid them.

This. Not liking something is not the same thing as fearing it.

Take for example spiders. I don't particularly like spiders, but will I freeze with fear and panic upon seeing one? No. And I won't go out of my way to kill one unless it's in an unwanted place. Therefore, I do not have arachnophobia.

From what I keep on hearing regarding the "homophonic" thing, for some reason, when it's used, it's used when talking about not liking homos. Rather than fearing homos.

It's weird, but what evs.

Disliking a thing,

Counts as phobic by definition. Phobia =/= terror or fear ONLY. Phobia = repulsion without logical reason.

or finding it disgusting,

Even by the classical definition of phobic: this counts. Disgust == fear.

or contrary to some natural order/religion or another,

Just makes someone an idiot.

or just not wanting to be around a thing, is not the same as fearing it.

Phobic as a definition is not used ONLY for fear: it is used for ANY reaction or lack thereof which results in a repulsion.

See my 'hydrophobic' example above.

Any avoidance can be looked at as being phobic. I hate kids as well, and I find their behavior intolerable; I actively avoid being near them. By today's definition definition I am phobic. As I said above: nothing wrong with that. I just have to acknowledge it. Regardless of the basal Latin definition of the word 'phobia', The word is used today to represent an illogical repulsion (either through hate or fear). That's the way the word is used today, and if you admit to disliking gays, but refuse to be called homophobic: you are arguing semantics and grammar, and not your repulsion to homosexual acceptance. If you then use this semantic debate as a crutch to say that you are not at all a bigot or hateful simply because you are not also fearful and thus do not fit your own definition of 'homophobic': then you are an idiot.

Watching two guys kissing is naturally repulsive. It is aberrant and dysfunctional that runs counter to the propagation of a species. It's defective behavior.
It's not "homophobic" as in being afraid. lol I don't know why you guys just make up words to distort other peoples views. It's naturally repulsive as would be watching somebody eating feces. Would that make you a fecephobic? If that's a word. lol Of course not.

like this
Watching two guys kissing is naturally repulsive. It is aberrant and dysfunctional that runs counter to the propagation of a species. It's defective behavior.
It's not "homophobic" as in being afraid. lol I don't know why you guys just make up words to distort other peoples views. It's naturally repulsive as would be watching somebody eating feces. Would that make you a fecephobic? If that's a word. lol Of course not.

What's defective is the amount of time you invest in thinking about something that you're repulsed by.

Back