iPhone 15 Pro Max Thermal throttling issue

The twitter post says exactly what you need to know. It's still a substantial upgrade over the 14 Pro. I personally having seen any throttling issues on my 15 Pro compared to the 14 Pro. They're about the same in that regard.

It ultimately depends on the phone you already have, but I'd say anything pre-13 Pro is well worth upgrading so you get the 120hz display, SOC/RAM upgrades, etc. Also, I've mentioned this before, but I absolutely hated the 12/13/14 squared off design. (Was fine for the iPhone 4/5 that was smaller, but not these big phones) It was awful to hold in the hands for longer periods of time. The new design is far more comfortable to hold.

The twitter post says exactly what you need to know. It's still a substantial upgrade over the 14 Pro. I personally having seen any throttling issues on my 15 Pro compared to the 14 Pro. They're about the same in that regard.

It ultimately depends on the phone you already have, but I'd say anything pre-13 Pro is well worth upgrading so you get the 120hz display, SOC/RAM upgrades, etc. Also, I've mentioned this before, but I absolutely hated the 12/13/14 squared off design. (Was fine for the iPhone 4/5 that was smaller, but not these big phones) It was awful to hold in the hands for longer periods of time. The new design is far more comfortable to hold.
I mean this is not some sort of flaw with the CPU, which apple might try to suppress by putting a limit on its performance like 80% max to avoid throttling with software upgrade? I waited for iPhone 15 Pro Max months before its official announcement, so I really like its overall hardware, camera and the fact that with USB-C I can connect it with a quality SSD like Crucial X9 pro or Samsung T7 for directly recording Videos at Cinematic Mode at 4K resolution with 60 FPS

Reports of problems don't inspire confidence.

Should most people who are shopping for an iPhone this year ignore all that and go straight to the newest phones?

I really don't mean for this to be a loaded question and would appreciate honest opinions.

It's still a substantial upgrade over the 14 Pro. I personally having seen any throttling issues on my 15 Pro compared to the 14 Pro.

iPhone 15 Pro is one I am considering buying. Any problems so far?

Reports of problems don't inspire confidence.

Should most people who are shopping for an iPhone this year ignore all that and go straight to the newest phones?

I really don't mean for this to be a loaded question and would appreciate honest opinions.

iPhone 15 Pro is one I am considering buying. Any problems so far?
No, none. I haven't had any regrets upgrading off my 14 Pro. The big thing for me is that it's just way better feeling to hold.

I've had absolutely zero problems with my 15 Pro Max since launch day. I'm aware that this issue most definitely exists, but I've been very fortunate and happy with my phone.

The problems that have been reported are terrifying, so it's refreshing to see your positive comments. I was considering a risk-averse purchase of iPhone SE or iPhone 14.
Only real problem i'm aware of was the screen issue on the Max model, and that was 100% resolved as it was an issue with the display controller that was updated. It wasn't burn in like the masses of anti-Apple people claimed.

Does the iPhone 15 series generally operate or charge at significantly higher temperatures?

You are implying that some over-reaction occurred, which isn't hard to believe.
I personally don't find it gets any hotter compared to my 14 Pro. Ultimately, it has superior battery life while offering a large performance boost.

For me though, the biggest positive change is that the phone is comfortable to hold again. I absolutely hated the design of the 12 -> 14 with the squared off sides.

The link I posted above listed a litany of problems, so it's nice to know some of you are having no trouble. I guess I'll be open to getting iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro.

I personally don't find it gets any hotter compared to my 14 Pro. Ultimately, it has superior battery life while offering a large performance boost.

The link I posted above listed a litany of problems, so it's nice to know some of you are having no trouble. I guess I'll be open to getting iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro.
Most of those aren't actual problems/bugs. They are just users being idiots.

As far as the chassis color one - This has been a thing forever and on every phone, and it's why I always get the non-coated natural metal option.

I always get the non-coated natural metal option
I ended up ordering a regular iPhone 14 in starlight (white). And then I saw your comment and wondered if I got the wrong color. But at a glance I'm not seeing a bare metal choice on that phone. Thermally, I thought white might at least reflect some sun off the phone occasionally.

I ended up ordering a regular iPhone 14 in starlight (white). And then I saw your comment and wondered if I got the wrong color. But at a glance I'm not seeing a bare metal choice on that phone. Thermally, I thought white might at least reflect some sun off the phone occasionally.
I don't think the color matters at all really for thermal efficiency.

Honestly get the one you like the most. Whether it matters to people or not, it's nice that Apple makes so many colors of phones.
But yeah, natural didn't exist until 15 Pro. It was a way of Apple showing off their real titanium rails. Theoretically there have always been models that have shown off the steel that predates the titanium, but they never called it "natural".

Honestly get the one you like the most. Whether it matters to people or not, it's nice that Apple makes so many colors of phones.
But yeah, natural didn't exist until 15 Pro. It was a way of Apple showing off their real titanium rails. Theoretically there have always been models that have shown off the steel that predates the titanium, but they never called it "natural".

It doesn't make a difference in it's thermal efficiency. Using it without a case and with a picture stick does however since this improves airflow which in turn improves it's thermal efficiency.

It doesn't make a difference in it's thermal efficiency. Using it without a case and with a picture stick does however since this improves airflow which in turn improves it's thermal efficiency.
Sure. It’s the also the difference between running your computer caseless. But for practical reasons on both, most people run a case.

As an aside, I haven’t needed more than essentially a bumper case in about 9 years (currently using a Spiggen clear case). Not sure what people who use Otterbox Defenders are doing; because I use phones for 4 years plus, and they’re all been dropped probably about 6 times a year, and none of them have ever gotten a scratch, let alone a crack.

When I traded in my XR, the tech literally said you take really good care of your phones. And I don’t feel like I do anything special. Just keep my phone out of my keys pocket. And use a case + tempered glass screen protector. Clean it every month or so that’s about it.

Last edited:

Most the prior models had polished stainless steel which is basically natural. I always got that because it let me polish out scratches.

Most the prior models had polished stainless steel which is basically natural. I always got that because it let me polish out scratches.
Yes.

I phrased it the way I did, because there were also options like Space Grey/Black that always has had anodized or otherwise colored rails that were not "natural". It was an option, but it wasn't on every iPhone Pro because of the dependency on color choice. Much like it still is.

I bought my iPhone 15 Pro Max in October 10. I never faced any heat issue. Though it did get warm sometimes while charging. There was just one occasion, while charging I was watching OF, chatting in FB messenger and I get the warning that charging suspended until it cools down. Something that also happened with my iPhone 12 Pro Max too.

Only time my 15 Pro was noticeably hot was when it was first restoring from backup on day 1. Never got hotter than my 14 Pro after though. Even while playing fairly demanding games it seems to run cooler compared to the 14 Pro.

Back