Intel vs. AMD DDR5 192gb?

The_HAVOK

n00b
What are your thoughts on the odd max RAM capacity of 192gb on the latest Intel and AMD desktop platforms?
Is anybody running 4x48gb DDR5?
What is the compatibility like?
I've stayed away from DDR5 like I did when DDR4 came out to the consumer market, waiting for it to mature a bit before diving into it.

I guess there's some kind of market for 24/48 GB DIMMs. The RAM producers probably wouldn't have bothered if they weren't getting requests from OEMs/system manufacturers, who are in turn getting requests from their customers.

Seems to me that if you're doing something that requires that much RAM, then a workstation or at the least a HEDT system would be a much better setup. Such systems also increase the number of memory channels.

There's no reason not to go DDR5, unless maybe if your budget is incredibly tight.

What are your thoughts on the odd max RAM capacity of 192gb on the latest Intel and AMD desktop platforms?
I've stayed away from DDR5 like I did when DDR4 came out to the consumer market, waiting for it to mature a bit before diving into it.
It's hard to say. I don't know of anyone who has done it. That said, you will certainly have pretty awful RAM clocks doing it. If you don't need that much physical RAM I wouldn't bother. I agree that if you are looking to do that, you might want to consider going to an HEDT platform.

Maxed out DDR5 is going to be at very low speeds unless you get a miracle memory controller. 4 modules of DDR5 is essentially quad rank, its very difficult. I have a 2x48GB kit and none of the chips I have tried it on from AMD or Intel have been able to run it at its rated speed of 5600mhz.

I have not seen anyone with 4 x 48 GB on either platform.

The nerds doing this kind of thing tend to be on platforms with registered RAM in the first place.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
On my z390 platform I ran a 128gb kit (4x32gb) which was XMP rated for DDR4 4400 at DDR4 4400 with a few voltage tweaks for around a year. over time the system actually did start to become unstable due to the memory probably from the insane voltages needed to run the kit. I ended up going through a few deferent 9900K and 9900KF untill i got an ES sample which actually ran the kit fine with less voltage than i had used originally.

Back