Installing 2nd CPU in PowerEdge2900

Innocence

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I'm looking at updating a couple of PowerEdge 2900's as part of a server room revamp, and had a question.

We're removing quite a few of these 4U beats from service, and I'm looking to move the "spare" CPUs from the retiring machines to the production servers to beef up their performance a bit. The CPUs are all identical, and all have a spare socket and power load to spare.

Anything I should be aware of before going ahead with this? The Production servers are all on either ESXi 5.1 or W2k8 x64. Any potential problems I'm creating for myself, or additional configuration required to take advantage of the extra CPU?

If the 2900s didn't have 2 CPUs in them to start, you'll probably have to reflash BIOS after you put the new CPU in (which can be tricky on the ESX boxes). That's what I had to do with my 2950s at least. Otherwise, plug n play.

I'm stating the obvious, but you should test with a machine not in production. Do you have a spare 2900 with one cpu laying around?

Would you be missing any plastic shrouds, vents or fans that the dual-cpu versions come with?

I upgraded a pair of 2950s a couple months ago. I it was very simple. Just popped in the new cpu, a spare heat sink, and it was good to go. Only had to go into the bios once, save and exit. Easy peezy.

Back