In Emergencies, Should You Trust a Robot?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Should you trust a robot in an emergency? No. If you are in a building that is on fire? Definitely not. Should you trust a robot under any circumstances? Hell no! Any questions? Watch the video below.

I very highly doubt anyone saw the robot as an "authority figure" - more likely they assumed the robot should have a detailed plan of the building and therefore should know where it's going.

Would I trust a robot? Sure, right up until it took me into a room with no exits or down a path that wasn't towards an exit.

Robots leading people right back into the burning building...

"This uprising is going too well.."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If there's a fire, depending on where you are there's most likely an evacuation plan already in place. I took one look at the robot and my intelligence was insulted. That thing is way to slow to be trusted. IF there's a fire you want to get out fast not walk behind it like it's going to give you a doggie biscuit after for being a good boy. If you live in a large building complex or something and you know the building very well, chances are pretty good if there's a fire you already know the way out. If you're working in a industrial complex or office building or whatever, many places have an emergency evacuation plan and have practice sessions. I mean, just lookiing at the robot itself almost makes me feel like it was put together with stuff found in someone's garage scraps. I know in an emergency esthetics shouldn't matter that much but this isn't 1980.

Total lack of screaming, running, shoving and knocking down old ladies. robot not to be trusted. I would agree that most would think it not an authority figure but had a plan of the building and with sensors knew the safest route.

sure I'll trust a robot in an emergency. Just not that particular robot. And not in that particular use case as mentioned already.

There has been great strides for robotic use in emergency situations, this ain't one of them.

Back