How to repair a scratch

doox00

2[H]4U
I am rebuilding one of my PC's and wanted to do a build in an Inwin 925 case. I could not find one in the US but Singularity in Australia said they could get me one and ship it (also bought distro plates from them for the 925). I received the case and while doing the build and custom rigid water loop my dumb ass scratched the front of the case with a drill bit. I picked up the drill to drill a small hole I needed in the case and rubbed the bit along the front of the case, needless to say I am very sad and annoyed about it. My question is does anyone know of a way to repair it, at least make it so it is not so obvious? Any tips would be appreciated!

PXL_20230406_052443287.jpg

That looks pretty deep.. nope. You'd need to sand it down to be level, then have it re-brushed. To get a uniform grain, you need a large graining wheel with a high torque motor for a surface that large.

That looks pretty deep.. nope. You'd need to sand it down to be level, then have it re-brushed. To get a uniform grain, you need a large graining wheel with a high torque motor for a surface that large.
Yeah it is down to bare metal, was hoping there was something I could try to fill in the scratch with to at least not make it so obvious. Sanding it down and repainting the entire case is not a skill I possess or even want to attempt. So mad at myself and not going to spend another 800 bucks on another one! :)

You can try various scratch fillers made for home appliances (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc). However, that looks a little too deep for it to make a difference.

You can try various scratch fillers made for home appliances (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc). However, that looks a little too deep for it to make a difference.
Once I get the build all done and everything situated in my sim rig room I will try some stuff out, I think if I can find something similar color to just fill in the scratch will be the easiest and make it a little less obvious, at least from a distance. I am the only one that looks at it so I guess it does not matter much but fuck, I am still annoyed and pissed at myself about it.

you could try brushed metal contact paper.
Just looked that stuff up, looks like pretty cool stuff! But not sure how I could use it to "hide" the scratch without just doing the entire case hehe.

I used a brushed aluminum vinyl to wrap a panel of a case when I was done modifying it. The sheen was slightly off, but you wouldn't have noticed it unless I told you.

Belt sander, start with 150, then 220. Do the whole case. Practice on scrap aluminum. Or put a decal over it.

Realistically making those brushed marks in metal isn't hard

Swing on over to your local gun shop and get some Aluminum Black. If no local gun shops you can get it here: https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/metal-bluing/aluminum-black/

Good to know for black cases, but I don't think it would be good for his silver one. Assumption on my part, so if I am wrong, happy to be corrected as I have never used the stuff.

From Brownell's "Ideal for touching up black-anodized aluminum."

Add more scratches to look like wolverine slash marks

Even better. Add more scratches and a sticker of Wolverine!!

Got the loop all done, here it is in its default rainbow puke state on the bench just after finishing the loop last night.... and yes it's just like jayztwocents build.. that is the reason why I wanted to do the build, really really liked that build. Still need to tidy up some cables and waiting for my cablemods 90 degree adapter for the 4090 still too. Now to figure out what to do about the scratch. :)

PXL_20230407_073604948.jpg

and yes it's just like jayztwocents build.. that is the reason why I wanted to do the build, really really liked that build. Still need to tidy up some cables and waiting for my cablemods 90 degree adapter for the 4090 still too. Now to figure out what to do about the scratch. :)

Ask jay, he has a weekly show where you can ask him questions (rtfm) and he is pretty good at painting and stuff.

In that case (no pun) get some Aluminum Black and see how it looks on some obscure place. When I've used it on my Lian Li case it's good for little touch up work. Think how you would repair a scratch on a fine walnut top. The trick of it is to have the eye never to see it in the first place.

Yeh, the one the video power goes through.
Just a distro plate? thought it was cooling something..

Back