[DEAD] 7900X3D $391.49 @ Amazon

great price but it might be better to hold off a few more months till Zen 5...rumors have it being announced anywhere from April to June (Computex)

Does this one have the CCD issue like the 7950x3d? Or is it ok like the 7800x3d?

Does this one have the CCD issue like the 7950x3d? Or is it ok like the 7800x3d?
The 7900X3D has two CCDs like the 7950X3D.

Since the core count is lower, less problems maybe? Much like the 7950X3D depends on your workloads.

Since only 6 of the 12 cores get the 3D vcache, it could theoretically perform worse in gaming. But benchmarks to date tend to prove that otherwise. It seems to hold its own. Get a 7800X3D if all you care about is gaming.

caqCj6kG52knVinrVLMXBE-970-80.png

Last edited:
Even at equal prices, the 7800X3D is the more attractive option to me.

Any reason as to why? Higher boost clock on the 7900X which I assume will help in gaming.

Edit: Less of the cache available per core apparently hurts gaming performance slightly.

Any reason as to why? Higher boost clock on the 7900X which I assume will help in gaming.

Edit: Less of the cache available per core apparently hurts gaming performance slightly.
7800X3D is one CCD with 8 core / 16 thread, giving you all the cache and 0 latency penalty.

7900X3D is two CCD with 6 core / 12 thread each, and only one CCD has access to the extra cache. When you're gaming you should only be using the one CCD (6 cores / 12 threads) that accesses the extra 3d vcache while the other CCD doesn't have access to it. In theory 7800X3D should always perform the best in games. 7900X3D and 7950X3D are still valid options but for strictly gaming I think 7800X3D is still easily the best choice. I wanted a 7800X3D but got a combo deal on mobo/ram/cpu/cooler I couldn't pass up.

AMD has documentation (which I didn't easily find? but did come across this) here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/5.html explaining how on the 7950X3D and 7900X3D you need to have Game Mode enabled. I've made sure to do this and here is a screenshot from my task manager during a gaming session (note the rest of the threads spike when alt tabbing, but during gaming only the one CCD is active). I've wondered if using Linux if this still works, but meh whatever I'm using Windows 11.

1709818383916.png

Since only 6 of the 12 cores get the 3D vcache, it could theoretically perform worse in gaming. But benchmarks to date tend to prove that otherwise. It seems to hold its own. Get a 7800X3D if all you care about is gaming

I mostly game on my PC but I'd still prefer one of the non-3D cache CPU's...the gaming numbers are incredible with the 7800X3D but I'd rather have something like the Zen 5 8800X which will perform around the same or slightly better than the 7800X3D...of course the Zen 5 3D cache CPU's will again take the lead in terms of pure gaming performance but I prefer something more balanced

I mostly game on my PC but I'd still prefer one of the non-3D cache CPU's...the gaming numbers are incredible with the 7800X3D but I'd rather have something like the Zen 5 8800X which will perform around the same or slightly better than the 7800X3D...of course the Zen 5 3D cache CPU's will again take the lead in terms of pure gaming performance but I prefer something more balanced

For gaming the X3Ds certainly seem to be ideal. You can always get a 7800X3D now and upgrade next year. That is the nice thing about AMD.

For gaming the X3Ds certainly seem to be ideal. You can always get a 7800X3D now and upgrade next year. That is the nice thing about AMD.

I don't really like changing CPU's out frequently...it's a hassle taking off my massive Noctua cooler...changing out things like memory, GPU, SSD are much easier...with my CPU I like to keep it for as long as possible...before upgrading to my current 5800X I was using the Intel i7 980X CPU for 8+ years

I don't really like changing CPU's out frequently...it's a hassle taking off my massive Noctua cooler...changing out things like memory, GPU, SSD are much easier...with my CPU I like to keep it for as long as possible...before upgrading to my current 5800X I was using the Intel i7 980X CPU for 8+ years
Isn't the new AMD around the corner? Why not wait?

Computex in June is when we'll most likely get a reveal of their new zen 5 line. Not sure about the exact release dates yet though. Guessing late q3 or q4...Will def be upgrading my 5950x once it hits.

I've been rocking one of these since launch. Good CPU. Near perfect balance of price and performance. But is it STILL a perfect balance of price and performance against other options? Harder to say.

It's still one of the most efficient CPUs for all workloads ever made. It air cools fine.

Shrug. Had the 7800X3D been available then for the same or less money, I'd likely have gotten one as gaming is what this system mainly does. But I could also live with this one for a very, very long time.

The 7900X3D has two CCDs like the 7950X3D.

Since the core count is lower, less problems maybe? Much like the 7950X3D depends on your workloads.

Since only 6 of the 12 cores get the 3D vcache, it could theoretically perform worse in gaming. But benchmarks to date tend to prove that otherwise. It seems to hold its own. Get a 7800X3D if all you care about is gaming.

View attachment 639903
At least show the graph with the 7800X3D included.

1711373000525.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/2821-amd-ryzen-7800x3d-7900x3d-7950x3d/

Most comprehensive review of the 7900X3D I've seen so far. They even tested with one CCD disabled for a hypothetical 7600X3D. My 2 takeaways from the review:

The 7900X3D certainly has a limited market but is compelling at $390. It's for the budget workstation that also wants to game.

6 to 8 cores is a mixed bag of performance benefits. 33% more cores nets at most a 15% performance benefit (and more often less) so games aren't fully saturating 8 cores yet.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2821-amd-ryzen-7800x3d-7900x3d-7950x3d/

Most comprehensive review of the 7900X3D I've seen so far. They even tested with one CCD disabled for a hypothetical 7600X3D. My 2 takeaways from the review:

The 7900X3D certainly has a limited market but is compelling at $390. It's for the budget workstation that also wants to game.

6 to 8 cores is a mixed bag of performance benefits. 33% more cores nets at most a 15% performance benefit (and more often less) so games aren't fully saturating 8 cores yet.
Yeah for sure it has a niche market. If gaming was your primary concern then I think the 7800X3D is preferable to avoid any scheduling issues.

I would have loved to see them just go both CCD's with 3D v-cache. Or better yet, maybe Zen 5 or Zen 6 we'll finally see CCX designs of 12-16 cores each.

Yeah for sure it has a niche market. If gaming was your primary concern then I think the 7800X3D is preferable to avoid any scheduling issues.

I would have loved to see them just go both CCD's with 3D v-cache. Or better yet, maybe Zen 5 or Zen 6 we'll finally see CCX designs of 12-16 cores each.
A dual v-cache part is something I would love to see. That way I don't have to worry about which CCD a thread gets assigned to because they all have access to v-cache. I'm happy with my 5900X as is, but I'd be lying if I said the extra performance of even current gen parts wasn't alluring to me.

A dual v-cache part is something I would love to see. That way I don't have to worry about which CCD a thread gets assigned to because they all have access to v-cache. I'm happy with my 5900X as is, but I'd be lying if I said the extra performance of even current gen parts wasn't alluring to me.
I'm not sure you won't run into problems with a dual CCD with v-cache design either. Latency between the CCDs has been a problem since the 5900X. More cores on the same CCD will give more consistent performance than multiple CCDs.

I'm not sure you won't run into problems with a dual CCD with v-cache design either. Latency between the CCDs has been a problem since the 5900X. More cores on the same CCD will give more consistent performance than multiple CCDs.
From what I've seen in the leaks 16 core CCDs will only be a thing on Epyc CPUs. On desktop it's still staying at 8 cores per CCD die.

This is why I am hoping we eventually get bumped up to 12 or 16 core CCX designs in either Zen 5 or Zen 6. Then you can get a higher than 8-core count Ryzen product without the dual CCD design. Zen 2 had 4-core CCX (2x CCX per CCD), and then Zen 3 bumped that up to an 8-core CCX (1x CCX to CCD). Come on AMD, bump it up again! :)

I'm also pretty ok with my 5900X still. Thought about Zen 5 and a 50-series upgrade, but might hold out for Zen 6 and 60-series. Will have to see.

This is why I am hoping we eventually get bumped up to 12 or 16 core CCX designs in either Zen 5 or Zen 6. Then you can get a higher than 8-core count Ryzen product without the dual CCD design. Zen 2 had 4-core CCX (2x CCX per CCD), and then Zen 3 bumped that up to an 8-core CCX (1x CCX to CCD). Come on AMD, bump it up again! :)

I'm also pretty ok with my 5900X still. Thought about Zen 5 and a 50-series upgrade, but might hold out for Zen 6 and 60-series. Will have to see.
I have a 5900X and have been contemplating the switch to AM5 but the motherboards really turned me off. Lots of people reporting issues with them. Figure I would just wait until the next release since my machine is chugging along fine (for now).

The primary use for V-Cache, is gaming.
AMD protoypted and tested a dual V-Cache 5950x. And their overall determination is that its too expensive and involved of a manufacturing process, to offer that product to gamers.
You have scheduling options via chipset drivers and gamebar, a bios switch for prioritizing cache. For automatic, plug-and-play use.
If that stuff doesn't work well for you in the games you like: you can also disable the non-vcache CCD and effectively have a slightly faster 7800X3D, with no scheduling issues/stutter/etc. I think that's plenty of options, really. And these chips are already expensive enough.

I have a 7800X3D------because I got it for a great $320 deal, price matched with best buy. (But BB processed the order as $400 and later credited me back $80. I got 12% cashback on the $400, via retailmenot. So that's $272 for my final price). I already had a 13600KF system, which I was more than happy with. And I had gotten a deal on that CPU, as well. I don't have a 4090 or 4080. I don't need this CPU to get the most out of my GPU. But....I got this CPU for the price of a slower one. And then sold the slower one.

Point is, you can keep dumping money into your gaming machine I guess. But, how many frames do you need? And do you have a top end GPU to pair with it? The 12 and 16 core X3D are meant for people who do multi-core work and play games with absolute top level performance, on the same system. Its an option. A dual Vcache design would be a large additional expense-----so that an errant game thread doesn't get scheduled to the wrong core. Or you can just-----turn off the wrong cores. Or you can buy a regular Zen chip if you don't need top level game performance.

There are very few other apps where V-Cache makes as much a difference. and there are doubly few where lots of threads AND V-Cache are important. So, its not worth it for them to offer a dual V-Cache chip. And even if they did, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy them at the price they would undoubtedly be offered for. They wouldn't even be worth it for a top end gamer with a 4090 and a real need for every frame. The existing products have that covered.

For gaming, whatever latency there might be with the 7900x and 7950x, is a non-issue. At worst, they end up a handful of frames behind a 7700x. Majority of the time, they are on par or actually faster.

I have only seen one relatively larger problem secenario for dual CCD in gaming, which is maybe easily repeatable. and I'm not sure the channel I see it shown on, is great for data on that.

The primary use for V-Cache, is gaming.
AMD protoypted and tested a dual V-Cache 5950x. And their overall determination is that its too expensive and involved of a manufacturing process, to offer that product to gamers.
You have scheduling options via chipset drivers and gamebar, a bios switch for prioritizing cache. For automatic, plug-and-play use.
If that stuff doesn't work well for you in the games you like: you can also disable the non-vcache CCD and effectively have a slightly faster 7800X3D, with no scheduling issues/stutter/etc. I think that's plenty of options, really. And these chips are already expensive enough.

I have a 7800X3D------because I got it for a great $320 deal, price matched with best buy. (But BB processed the order as $400 and later credited me back $80. I got 12% cashback on the $400, via retailmenot. So that's $272 for my final price). I already had a 13600KF system, which I was more than happy with. And I had gotten a deal on that CPU, as well. I don't have a 4090 or 4080. I don't need this CPU to get the most out of my GPU. But....I got this CPU for the price of a slower one. And then sold the slower one.

Point is, you can keep dumping money into your gaming machine I guess. But, how many frames do you need? And do you have a top end GPU to pair with it? The 12 and 16 core X3D are meant for people who do multi-core work and play games with absolute top level performance, on the same system. Its an option. A dual Vcache design would be a large additional expense-----so that an errant game thread doesn't get scheduled to the wrong core. Or you can just-----turn off the wrong cores. Or you can buy a regular Zen chip if you don't need top level game performance.

There are very few other apps where V-Cache makes as much a difference. and there are doubly few where lots of threads AND V-Cache are important. So, its not worth it for them to offer a dual V-Cache chip. And even if they did, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy them at the price they would undoubtedly be offered for. They wouldn't even be worth it for a top end gamer with a 4090 and a real need for every frame. The existing products have that covered.
I don't need a top tier CPU, no, considering my GPU is a 3080 FE (which is listed in my signature) - and later this year I'll be swapping it for a 3080 Ti FE. I'll be doing a good deal of video encoding and 3D modeling in addition to gaming and streaming, so the extra cores will come in handy. In all but 2 things I play that are extremely single thread intensive (Oxygen Not Included is one, Factorio is the other) this CPU is "good enough" for the time being, especially considering I only have old 16:10 60Hz panels. If the price were to come down on the vanilla 7900X this point would be moot - I'd just opt for that so I don't have to deal with scheduling headaches. Truth be told, the only reason I'm entertaining an upgrade at all right now is that a friend of mine expressed interest in buying my current hardware, so that'd finance a good portion of what I'd be getting.

I don't need a top tier CPU, no, considering my GPU is a 3080 FE (which is listed in my signature) - and later this year I'll be swapping it for a 3080 Ti FE. I'll be doing a good deal of video encoding and 3D modeling in addition to gaming and streaming, so the extra cores will come in handy. In all but 2 things I play that are extremely single thread intensive (Oxygen Not Included is one, Factorio is the other) this CPU is "good enough" for the time being, especially considering I only have old 16:10 60Hz panels. If the price were to come down on the vanilla 7900X this point would be moot - I'd just opt for that so I don't have to deal with scheduling headaches. Truth be told, the only reason I'm entertaining an upgrade at all right now is that a friend of mine expressed interest in buying my current hardware, so that'd finance a good portion of what I'd be getting.
I believe factory sees a huge boost from vcache.

Back