Help with quiet air cooling 4 processors in 2U server?

petreza

n00b
Hi,

Here is my attempt in QUIET cooling the four Xeon X7560 processors in a PowerEdge R810 server that I bought for a home lab.

server_fans.jpg

Behind the heatsinks you can see the six San Ace 60 53CFM fans which at full blast sound like a jet-engine-powered vacuum cleaner cleaning a jet fighter flying at full throttle.

(In addition to these eight Silent5 50mm 13CFM fans, I was planning (still am) to put four Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 80mm 31CFM fans with a rubber shroud in front of the case to blow cool air in.)

The 50mm fans fit perfectly, two per heatsink, but there is virtually no airflow coming out of the other side of the heatsinks. There is a noticeable air turbulence in front of the fans - unable to push the air through the heatsinks the fans just spin the air in front of them.
Could someone with more experience doing something like this advise on how to fix this problem? Do I just need stronger fans? The noise these 8 fans make is tolerable, I could go even a little higher, but not much.
Currently there is a 1/4" distance between the back of the fan blades and the heatsinks. What if I made a tight shroud around the heatsinks and moved the fans 1" away? Would that help?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I live in an apartment so I do not have a basement or a garage.

I'm sorry I can't really be helpful, that looks like a nightmare to quietly aircool. If I were you I'd water it immediately.

Back