Help needed with old 775 MB

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I have this MB and have had no luck in getting a post
https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/542/

Testing bare bones. Dual core xeon. One stick of DDR2-800 and GPU.
GPU and CPU fans go full blast when I power up. They stay running full until I power off. No post.
I have tried two different ram sticks. Swapped the GPU. Reset CMOS.
Any ideas?

Likely the chipset died, that was pretty common on those strikers. I have a striker one that has a dead chipset, mainly kept it due to the miles of copper heatpipes they used.

Likely the chipset died, that was pretty common on those strikers. I have a striker one that has a dead chipset, mainly kept it due to the miles of copper heatpipes they used.
I hope not. Such a gorgeous board! Literally the nicest board I have ever laid hands on.

Try changing the CMOS battery. Reset the BIOS to defaults. I had this happen to a HP pre-built once.

Erm... weren't the xeons 771 and not 775 and you had to do some tape trick on the back of them?

Been a long time.

Try changing the CMOS battery. Reset the BIOS to defaults. I had this happen to a HP pre-built once.
I removed the battery as that has worked for me in the past but did nothing. Will grab a known working battery and try. I kinda forgot about it and let other PC's I'm working on take my focus. I'll dig it out again and try.

yeah, what "xeon" and is it even compatible?
I inherited it with the RAM striped and a humongous heatsink that one of its crappy plastic retention clips broken. It was in a huge awesome server case so that is why I took it. Was obviously a functioning system at some point.

Back