Google Testing 'Hands Free" Payment Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Tech Companies,

I don't need any more stupid ways to pay for crap. Cash and credit card are fine even though not everyone takes both these days. I don't need five thousand different payment services from Apple, Samsung, Google and everyone else that aren't accepted everywhere and all rely on my credit card anyway.

Thanks,

General Population

This prompted us to build a pilot app called Hands Free that we’re now in the early stages of testing. It lets you pay in stores quickly, easily, and completely hands-free. While the pilot is still in early stages, we’ve come to a point where we're ready to invite people in the South Bay to test Hands Free with us. Hands Free is currently available on Android and iOS devices and is rolling out to a small number of McDonald’s, Papa John’s, and local eateries in the area.

You nailed it, Steve.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever mutter 'I'll pay with Google' to a cashier that doesn't give a damn how I pay.

Having said that though....I do wish NFC-style <CompanyName>Pay becomes the norm. I can't tell you how how much I prefer to pay with Apple Pay since the payment goes through INSTANTLY rather than the awkward 45-60 seconds that the EMV chip readers take.

I don't want an easy, quick and hands-free method of taking money from me.
I want the payment to take effort and be noticeable, such as counting off the stack of bills, or physically sliding or inserting a credit card.

Too many companies want to make it easier to separate you from your money with as little effort as possible.

I'm still stuck carrying things like my drivers license, insurance cards, various rewards cards, random cash, etc. on my person 99% of the time. Until everything goes digital, it doesn't save me any effort. Having different standards doesn't help either.
I don't mind the concept, but this feels like a clear baby step. Like buying an Enhanced Definition TV.

With all the apps that have major privacy concerns, why would I want to give another app direct access to my money? I'll stick to a card. Cash is king anyway.

I carry cash for my Euro purchase and card for my US purchases.

I want this type of payment to be a thing, but it needs to be a single standard or it simply never will be.

There is a drive towards negative interest rates at banks. If they ever want to apply that to regular consumers keeping their personal savings there, physical money needs to be done away with to force you too keep it in a bank instead of your mattress.

Google is anticipating the future.

Dear Tech Companies,

I don't need any more stupid ways to pay for crap. Cash and credit card are fine even though not everyone takes both these days. I don't need five thousand different payment services from Apple, Samsung, Google and everyone else that aren't accepted everywhere and all rely on my credit card anyway.

Thanks,

General Population

This prompted us to build a pilot app called Hands Free that we’re now in the early stages of testing. It lets you pay in stores quickly, easily, and completely hands-free. While the pilot is still in early stages, we’ve come to a point where we're ready to invite people in the South Bay to test Hands Free with us. Hands Free is currently available on Android and iOS devices and is rolling out to a small number of McDonald’s, Papa John’s, and local eateries in the area.

interesting that such tech person (and others on here) think that tech to pay for stuff is bad. Embrace change. I can't tell you how many times Apple Pay has saved my butt when I forgot my wallet at home.

Samsung pay is sweet but I don't trust it. I do wish I had a 100 $ Visa gift card connected to my phone for emergencies though.

I was at Sams Club a couple of weeks ago and they have the new chip readers for the credit cards. It seems like it takes 20 times longer to read the chip than to just swipe the card.

interesting that such tech person (and others on here) think that tech to pay for stuff is bad. Embrace change. I can't tell you how many times Apple Pay has saved my butt when I forgot my wallet at home.
A real tech person would recognize that not all tech is inherently good or inherently bad.

Back