Good price for Canon A70?

yoda634

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking around for the best deal on the Canon A70, I found it at NewEgg for $268. One of the combos is the Lexar 96MB 12x CF card for $28, but it puts on a $40 discount when added.

So, 268+28-40=256. Free shipping on all of that.

Is this a good deal? Could I find better?

Bought an A70 at xmas at Bestbuy. Paid $299-$20 next purchase (that works for me). You'll need a charger and Nimh batteries. Bought a 128mb CF card=$30appx.
The picture quality is good. I bought an i960 Canon printer to turn out the 4x6 glossies(-$50 bundle rebate)and the quality of the prints is indistinguishable from 35mm drugstore Kodak.
The above link from Bizrate is filtered for "not recommended".
The Bizrate rating is 85%+. I haven't had a problem with the A70 but it is no Nikon SLR. I didn't experience any redeye either. There are settings for this. All in all...a decent entry-intermediate level camera. Has a lot of settings and has adequate quality.

As I stated Sony then Canon as long as you get the support. The link was to show that there are some problems with it.

Originally posted by slza805
As I stated Sony then Canon as long as you get the support. The link was to show that there are some problems with it.

Actually, the CanonA70 is one of the top rated cameras at many major professional camera review sites.

I've used 3 of the A70's, and none of them have had any slight hint of a problem.

Of course, thats like saying "I had a problem with my Intel Processor".... There are so many A70's around because of popularity and price-performance ratio, that there are bound to be some mis-manufactured ones out there.

With whatever you buy, theres no 100% guarantee that every single one from the factory will be bug-free.

Sony isnt known for particularly spectacular image quality either...most professional photographers I know use either Canon, Olympus, or Fuji.

I have an A70 and it's great. Wonderful pictures!

Don't break your Sony, you can't get any parts for them! A local camera repairman recommended against both Sony and HP because even battery doors cannot be purchased from the mfg.

-PD

Thanks for the link, but my decision's made...plus, there's like one page of negatives, and like 6 pages of positives. Everything else I've heard has been positive.

Just checking on the deal.

I spent all day today looking at camera reviews as well... I'm very heavily leaning towards the A80 ... looks like a great camera, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Back