Giant Squid Filmed Live

nice, i would like to see how big the grownup ones get, becaue that was a juvenille one.

I wonder if there would have been a way for them to catch it and raise it in an enclosed area of water to see how big it could get.. I doubt it would work, but that would be cool.

I just had calamari last night.. mmm...

There was actually a show on Discovery about these guys a while ago centering around those still motion pictures which was also a first. If I remember correctly there was a scientist who did perfect a way to raise their younger family members in captivity, but seeing as how this is completely uncharted, I don't know that you could keep it alive, these bad boys are amazingly complex.

Plus...who in the heck would want to wrestle a live on onto the boat? I'm betting it could suck your face off with no problem. ;)

Rich Tate said:
Plus...who in the heck would want to wrestle a live on onto the boat? I'm betting it could suck your face off with no problem. ;)

Really this is only a problem if you are on a pirate ship or a submarine that can go to 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Love the giant squid.

My kids head first thing for the archetuthus display at the Natural History Museum in DC, every time we go.

Dude squids and octopi are earth's most interesting creatures. Hell, anything that lives in the lower half of the ocean is basically undiscovered still. And cool as hell.

Uhg... what a way to celebrate their achievement. In the video... I can't if it was dead or not. But, either the a.) Caught the first live one just to kill it, or b.) its still alive... in which case, look at the horse shit conditions it is in. A giant tub filled with nasty brown water about 3 inches high. They should have either taken the video and then put the damn thing back in the ocean, or atleast gotten a big ass aquarium or something to put it in where they could study it. Don't torture the fucking thing... :rolleyes:

At this point, we really have no proper method of keeping such a creature alive for study. The capture of a live specimen will go a long way in telling us how to keep these animals alive for study, but it is highly unlikely that we will be seeing giant squid in an aquarium near you, ever.

These squid live at high pressures and low temperatures, and need a comparatively large supply of oxygen to support their complex brain. The squid's enzymes are optimized for the environment in which it lives, so just bringing them to the surface is going to kill them eventually. Thankfully, they usually expire quickly due to the increase in temperature reducing the saturation of oxygen in their bloodstream, so they asphyxiate.

If we're going to learn more about the rest of the 98% of the habitable volume of our own planet, we'll just have to spend some more time there, with robots or submersibles or static sensor arrays. Too bad we're currently spending what we need on bullets.

That said, a live specimen is going to tell us soooo much! Statolith or beak growth rings can tell us how quickly they grow, stomach contents -- what they eat. The un-degraded retina can tell us what light wavelength and intensity they are used to, from which we can deduce their optimal depth-range. Not to mention the genetic information and parasites! We'll be able to find out all sort of things about their population dynamics. This is a big-fat w00t for marine science. Finally, something that people care about that isn't furry or cute.

But the most important information that is needed for the survival of their species can only be determined from the capture of live specimens: ARE THEY TASTY? My guess is yes, if so, then we've got to get as much video as possible before we eat them all.

^^^^^Someone either a) has a squid fetish or b) works with marine life ;) :p :D

Binkt said:
But the most important information that is needed for the survival of their species can only be determined from the capture of live specimens: ARE THEY TASTY? My guess is yes, if so, then we've got to get as much video as possible before we eat them all.

Giant calamari to cure the worlds hunger! W00TZ!

But seriously, thats fucken cool...but keeping one alive would be harder than keeping a great white in captivity...

Rich Tate said:

Squids have much nastier "suckers" than octopuses Rich. They have large claws or talons
inside their suckers. That is why some sperm whales have been found with nasty scars all
over their heads.

We should make a submersible that can follow a sperm whale for a long period of time (like 5-6)
days and then we might be able to film the battle itself. Stick with the only animal on Earth that
kind find the giant squid is the plan.

Giant squids are so cool. They have the largest eye of any creature known to man. I vaguely
remember seeing a giant squid eye in a clear sphere (the size of a basketball) on the Internet
years ago and I think that would be awesome to have on a pedestal in the middle of my
living room. I have never seen it again and I am wondering if I ever really saw it at all. :(

I got to see some first hand examples of their attack methods during the Discovery special and I have to say it was extremely interesting to watch.

I was really excited for those guys when I read the story this morning.

Rich Tate said:
I got to see some first hand examples of their attack methods during the Discovery special and I have to say it was extremely interesting to watch.

I was really excited for those guys when I read the story this morning.

I downloaded.....err watched it on tv,and it was very interesting.By the by,that show is very popular on torrent sites :D As are most nature shows.

It's still amazing the discoveries they are making in the deep, deep water. Who knows what else is down there?

I watched another clip, i think off of the yahoo frontpage, in which they said that the squid died while being captured. so yes, it's already dead in the tub.

Spectre said:
^^^^^Someone either a) has a squid fetish or b) works with marine life ;) :p :D

thanks

the correct answer is b)

see acoustics.washington.edu

Seriously, the guys at the UW Applied physics Lab have been doing some great work on autonomous sea probes and acoustics as well. If we really want to figure out how many of these things there are, then acoustics is currently the best method available.

I'll be heading up to the bering sea this summer to study the humbolt squid migrations, we'll see if those methods will be useful for Architeuthis too

Check out the MAR-ECO website for cool squid and deep-thingy videos as well. thats www.mar-eco.no

Back