Gaming on Quadro?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I’m considering putting in an NVIDIA low profile video card in my livingroom HTPC ( currently WX 4100 ) so that I can play Darkest Of Days again. I’m limited to single slot so the pro cards are pretty much what I can use that has any decent power to them. I know that my WX 4100 benchmarks very close to an rx 560 and the pro drivers game okay. But what about a Quadro? Darkest Of Days will only run on Nvidia

I’d be looking at a P1000 ( 1050 + 2gb ram ) or a T1000 ( RX 570 ballpark ) possibly T600

1711129963833.png

yes but they are a bit gimped for games. why dont you just get a real 1050ti or even a new rx 6400?

I'm not sure if any of those cards would be much of a improvement over a wx4100. Maybe try overclocking your current card? Firepros can normally oc some

There is only one 1050 TI variant that is low pro single slot and they go for a decent amount of money. The WX is identical to an RX 560. It does great for what it is. I was looking for NVIDIA to play that old game. I could use a 1030 and it would run that game great but everything else not so much.

I’m considering putting in an NVIDIA low profile video card in my livingroom HTPC ( currently WX 4100 ) so that I can play Darkest Of Days again. I’m limited to single slot so the pro cards are pretty much what I can use that has any decent power to them. I know that my WX 4100 benchmarks very close to an rx 560 and the pro drivers game okay. But what about a Quadro? Darkest Of Days will only run on Nvidia

I’d be looking at a P1000 ( 1050 + 2gb ram ) or a T1000 ( RX 570 ballpark ) possibly T600
Darkest of Days will run on a 9800GTX (love the game by the way) so you could pick up a cheap 750Ti-760-950-960 ect. unless you plan on playing other games too.
Also if you want to run it in anything remotely widescreen on W10, you need to over ride high DPI scaling in the compatibility tab in the properties of the game, ask me how I know.

I used to game some on a Quadro, but that's getting pretty old now. There are some benefits in that you usually get more memory and unlocked encoders and such, but you have to at least be on the low mid-tier or above. The ultra low end is pretty bad, and of course the high end gets very pricey. PSA, for me it was back in Kepler gen.

There are likely very very very cheap consumer cards that will do better nowadays. But, if handed an old Quadro, I would probably give it a good look over.

Pascal wise, P2000. Don't think I personally go lower than that. YMMV.

Darkest of Days will run on a 9800GTX (love the game by the way) so you could pick up a cheap 750Ti-760-950-960 ect. unless you plan on playing other games too.
Also if you want to run it in anything remotely widescreen on W10, you need to over ride high DPI scaling in the compatibility tab in the properties of the game, ask me how I know.
I play a bunch of games on it and it does great with the WX4100 but no DOD with an AMD card. So I was thinking that I could got a few steps up with an old Quadro and be able to play DOD and everything else

I used to game some on a Quadro, but that's getting pretty old now. There are some benefits in that you usually get more memory and unlocked encoders and such, but you have to at least be on the low mid-tier or above. The ultra low end is pretty bad, and of course the high end gets very pricey. PSA, for me it was back in Kepler gen.

There are likely very very very cheap consumer cards that will do better nowadays. But, if handed an old Quadro, I would probably give it a good look over.

Pascal wise, P2000. Don't think I personally go lower than that. YMMV.

The P1000 is a 1050 with 4gb of ram. Half way between a 1050 and a 1050 TI spec wise. But they are going for $120 now so i don’t see the value. A single slot 1050 TI isn’t too much more although they are all Chinese cards

Personally I've had great results using a Quadro for gaming, but only in laptops thus far. In my case that's because I've been using mainly Dell business laptops over the years rather than actual gaming laptops. They tend to be built like a brick as opposed most "gaming" laptops that feels like they are made out of balsa-wood and will creak and bend if you try to pick them up with only one hand.

For a long time I used a Dell Precision M6800 that had a Quadro K4100M. The GPU was very similar to a GTX680, but had 4GB of VRam. It ran games fine. The 4GB of memory actually helped it a lot. I also ran 3x GTX680 in SLI in my main computer and then in my backup computer during much of that time. In the end it wasn't the lack of GPU power that caused me to replace them, it was the lack of VRam (only having 2GB) that sealed the deal. So the K4100M having 4GB is/was nice. I still use it as my backup laptop and it still plays most DX11 games just fine with lowered video settings.

My current laptop is a Dell Precision 7740 that has a Quadro RTX 5000. The GPU specs are very similar to a RTX 2080 Super, except it has 16GB of VRam instead of 8GB. It absolutely slaughters everything I've thrown at it so far and is amazing for gaming. It's pretty crazy that it has the same amount of VRam that my 4080 does.

I have not run into any actual limitations, in terms of gaming, due to the GPUs being Quadro GPUs instead of Geforce GPUs. The driver releases are more or less parallel, with identical driver versions usually coming out at the same time or maybe days apart at most. Even stuff like being able to use Geforce Experience (called "RTX Experience" on the Quadro) and Shadowplay to record in-game works fine on the Quadro. So far, the only thing that I've tried to do that I couldn't do (presumably because it was a Quadro and not a Geforce) was setup DLDSR resolutions. My laptop monitor is only 1080P and it would have been nice to setup a 1440P or even a 4K DLDSR resolution, but oh well. Aside from that one specific issue, there has been absolutely zero issues or downsides when using the Quadro for gaming.

Way back when I was putting together my Dell Precision T3500 gaming computer. The workstation itself came with an NVS 295 which was able to push 30 fps in Singularity. That is what I played until my GTX 1060 came in

I think I’m going to keep the WX 4100 for now because it plays everything I want to play on my couch ( except DOD ) and it’s a superior built card compared to a Quadro. The full length blower shroud and heat sink keeps it cool. Never runs over 50*. I know those Quadros will run hot. AMD just dropped new drivers too and things run a little bit better now too

If I really want a capable SFF machine. Looks like I really need to go HP and then grab the new RTX 3050 6gb. No external power and low profile. Would slot right into a G4. I really don’t like the HPs tho

Back