Game discs and PS5

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I’m new to console gaming. I bought a PS5 and I bought a game on disc.

Now I need the disc every time. Is there a legal way around that requirement?

In the future it seems I should only buy digital download games to avoid using the disc. Is that correct?

I have fiber, so there doesn’t seem to be any reason to buy physical discs.

Like I said. I’m new to this.

Edit. I’m asking because I’m thinking about getting Baldur’s Gate 3. I can get it download version or use my game stop discount for a disc.

I’m new to console gaming. I bought a PS5 and I bought a game on disc.

Now I need the disc every time. Is there a legal way around that requirement?

In the future it seems I should only buy digital download games to avoid using the disc. Is that correct?

I have fiber, so there doesn’t seem to be any reason to buy physical discs.

Like I said. I’m new to this.

Edit. I’m asking because I’m thinking about getting Baldur’s Gate 3. I can get it download version or use my game stop discount for a disc.
Just think of a console like a PC. When PC games were still coming on disc you'd need the disc in the drive to play it as a form of DRM. Consoles have gone the same way. If you don't want to juggle discs then buy digitally.

Just think of a console like a PC. When PC games were still coming on disc you'd need the disc in the drive to play it as a form of DRM. Consoles have gone the same way. If you don't want to juggle discs then buy digitally.

True. I was hoping things had improved by now.

I think it's an Anti Piracy feature is the only thing I can think of. Reselling hard copies is also a good feature instead of just buying a game for a single use code making the disks worthless for reselling. If the disks get damaged oh well then your screwed

Last edited:
I think it's an Anti Piracy feature is the only thing I can think of. Reselling hard copies is also a good feature instead of just buying a game for a single use code making the disks worthless for reselling. If the disks get damaged oh well then your screwed
It is. Generally, after the game is installed, nothing is read from the disc after verifying the correct disc has been inserted.

up until very recently I always bought disks because of resale ability. But now I don’t even do that. It’s so easy to just buy digital. Only games I use the disc drive for is RDR2

I still prefer discs, sure downloading is convenient, but I'm not so lazy that I won't get off the couch to put a disc in.
Also if I want to play something whilr the internet is down that's not installed, I can pop the disc in and install it.

Also, there's no risk of Sony ever deleting it from my account.

I stopped buying discs when it started to take longer to install from the disc than it did to download the game from the internet.

Back