Galaxy S7 And S7 Edge Refine A Proven Design

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung’s latest Galaxy phones have finally been officially unveiled. Those of you looking to upgrade should be happy to know that each has a bigger battery, better cameras, waterproofing, as well as the return of SD card support.

Samsung has tightened up the S6’s overall design for the S7: it’s more comfortable to hold, easier to pick up off of a table, has a flatter fingerprint scanner, and has a less pronounced camera hump. It won’t look unfamiliar to anyone that’s seen or held the S6, and it still looks remarkably similar to the iPhone 6 and 6S depending on which angle you look at it from. The standard S7 retains the 5.1-inch, quad HD Super AMOLED display from its predecessor.

I skipped the S6 but this looks like it has potential to be my next phone, although my 5S is still a good phone.

I skipped the S6 but this looks like it has potential to be my next phone, although my 5S is still a good phone.

Better keep your S5. The S6 and new S7 both have battery's that aren't replaceable...... Stupid design on Samsung's part...

Better keep your S5. The S6 and new S7 both have battery's that aren't replaceable...... Stupid design on Samsung's part...
I've never needed to replace my batteries on any of my iPhones. This looks interesting if for some reason I can't jailbreak any iPhone in the future.

While I understand why the feature might be helpful for some, I am willing to guess way more people don't need that it. For the fairly infrequent times where you might need it, there are battery packs that work for more than just your S7...

there's really no such thing as a battery that isn't replaceable. It's just a pain in the ass to replace one that isn't meant to be replaced easily.
Lipo batteries lose effectiveness. In most cases, about 50% of it's capacity after a year. They can also get damaged. If one cell from a 5 cell battery goes bad, you'll find your phone shutting down at 20%. This started happening to me and ordering a new battery and slapping it in my note 4 was easy peasy.

I'm more interested in the LG G5. Looks like a pretty slick design.

Ohh i guess i should add, sammy lost me as a customer. Note 4 will probably be the last sammy i buy because their design loses out on features to be more like the iphone for the past 2 generations. Other than a name brand, there is no good reason to continue buying their products.

Last edited:
Still have an S4 and skipped upgrading to an S6 so I'll definitely be getting an S7. Probably just the standard one. I don't need a big phone so the edge doesn't appeal to me.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the leaks basically already confirmed this. I'm still extremely disappointed in it though. Oh well.

S7 looks good, however there is no wow factor like Samsung had with the S6 Edge. With this minor of an update, Samsung should be well positioned to launch the S8 near the end of 2016 to compete with Apple's redesigned iPhone 7.

Improvement from the S6 (SD slot and water resistance).
Might have considered getting one if the price was right but I already bought a Note 4 last month.
Note 4 should hold me for a few years, so maybe I'll be ready to upgrade when the S9 comes out :)

Improvement from the S6 (SD slot and water resistance).
Might have considered getting one if the price was right but I already bought a Note 4 last month.
Note 4 should hold me for a few years, so maybe I'll be ready to upgrade when the S9 comes out :)

Can you tell me more about your Note 4? I've never seen you post about it.

there's really no such thing as a battery that isn't replaceable. It's just a pain in the ass to replace one that isn't meant to be replaced easily.
Lipo batteries lose effectiveness. In most cases, about 50% of it's capacity after a year. They can also get damaged. If one cell from a 5 cell battery goes bad, you'll find your phone shutting down at 20%. This started happening to me and ordering a new battery and slapping it in my note 4 was easy peasy.

I'm more interested in the LG G5. Looks like a pretty slick design.

Ohh i guess i should add, sammy lost me as a customer. Note 4 will probably be the last sammy i buy because their design loses out on features to be more like the iphone for the past 2 generations. Other than a name brand, there is no good reason to continue buying their products.

Your Note 4 had a faulty battery then because the only phone of mine that has a faulty battery is a 6+ year old Droid 2. Neither my iPhone 5, 5S, 6 or Galaxy S3 had any noticeable drop in battery life. That said, LG's system is quite interesting and something I wouldn't mind seeing on more phones.

Dear Samsung:

I love your stuff, I have a TV of yours and a pretty bitchin' Washer, the panels in my monitor are Samsung.

But the S7 just seems pretty meh, I have an S5 that was pretty slick, waterproof, mSD slot, all that jazz. Taking away great features only to re-introduce them a year or two later? You lost me -- I'm now rocking a Google 6P and loving it. Project Fi kicks so much ass.

Your Note 4 had a faulty battery then because the only phone of mine that has a faulty battery is a 6+ year old Droid 2. Neither my iPhone 5, 5S, 6 or Galaxy S3 had any noticeable drop in battery life. That said, LG's system is quite interesting and something I wouldn't mind seeing on more phones.
Depends on how much you hammer your phone. Some days I'm on the phone for 4 or more hours of conference calls. Our cell towers are fritzie so the phone are constantly tower hoping, not to mention the wi-fi for the phones is equally fritzie cause the phone to hop on data and off too. So the unit experiences battery drain daily that's pretty harsh. After about a year any workphone phone I've had starts experiencing noticably diminished battery life and they're not exactly in a rush to replaced the phone.

Keeping my S5. Won't swap it out until it stops doing what I need it to do. Had a 4g sidekick. Loved it. Worked up until it stopped getting support. Wasn't a bad phone but, when it gets too slow? it has to go.

Hmm. Maybe I'll get a new phone this year around June or so. I like my Note 4, but the S7, the S7 Edge, and the LG G5 are all interesting. Or maybe I'll wait and see what the Note 6 ends of being or wait and see what Apple decides to do with their next iPhone.

Be hanging on to my Note 5 for at least the next year. I absolutely love this phone with exception to the battery life. Only phone I've had to replace a battery on since my first iPhone 2G was an GS2.

Looks cool, but my S5 is still ticking along without any problems. I have no real reason to to upgrade. I have no reason to upgrade every cycle like some people. In fact, I would probably still be using my Droid Razor if I had not had to change plans back in 2014. That phone was a tank.

Pre-ordering a phone sounds like a really bad idea these days. So many high end phones release with problems that either need workarounds or firmware updates to fix. I'd rather wait a few months and see what problems crop up at launch.

Problem with waiting "a few months" is you lose a meaningful share of the time-frame you can expect any firmware updates. Every month you wait after hardware launch is probably 4-5% of the updates window lost for a Samsung, depending on how optimistic/pessimistic you are about the period wherein you'll get updates.

Problem with waiting "a few months" is you lose a meaningful share of the time-frame you can expect any firmware updates. Every month you wait after hardware launch is probably 4-5% of the updates window lost for a Samsung, depending on how optimistic/pessimistic you are about the period wherein you'll get updates.

That's not as big of a deal for me. I'll keep the phone 1 1/2 to 2 years and then get something else. The Note 4 is supposed to get Marshmellow fairly soon-ish so I'm not too worried about them dropping support while I own an S7.

Hell was still running my s3 until last year when I had to finally abandon it because the backlight died, switched to HTC and see no reason to go back to Samsung. Still wonder why more phones don't have forward stereo speakers, I'll never go back now that I've had them

I forgot to charge my S5 last night and it was down to 5%. So I took the spare $5 battery out of it's wall mount and replaced the current battery and stuck the low one in the charger. Turned my phone back on and now I'm at 100% charge instantly.

Yeah I'll just wait for 4K OLED displays to come out for smartphones before I need to buy a new one :)

Smartphones with removable battery
List of phones with removable batteries. Now if someone would just make an S5 with an unlocked bootloader that ran on pure android.

Edit: is there a way to post a url so it does not get auto-translated to the title?

Last edited:
I guess a lot depends on how you use your phone but not once have I needed to replace my battery.

Smartphones with removable battery
List of phones with removable batteries. Now if someone would just make an S5 with an unlocked bootloader that ran on pure android.

Edit: is there a way to post a url so it does not get auto-translated to the title?

That site just depressed me..the amount of phones available with the specs I want are basically one. The samsung S5 mini.

I just want a phone that isn't a damn tablet so sub 5". Has a 2000+ mAh and removable battery and at least a 720p screen. Only 3 requirements and only a single damn phone meets them. Why? Because apparently bigger is better even if it results in stupid design and shitty battery performance.

I just want a phone that isn't a damn tablet so sub 5". Has a 2000+ mAh and removable battery and at least a 720p screen. Only 3 requirements and only a single damn phone meets them.

Lumia 640 is all of that, and you can have one for just $30. I used one for a couple months. It had fantastic battery life. I stopped using it because of the terrible app shortage of Windows Phone.

S7 vs S5
Wider camera aperture - maybe good.
Marginally bigger camera sensor = good
Marginally bigger battery - good
Glass body = bad
Higher resolution = worse battery life = bad
More internal storage = great (16GB can cause issues, when Android only lets you store so much on the SD card)
More RAM = good
Octa-core processor = worse battery life = bad

Samsung needs to seriously up the camera quality or improve the display Super AMOLED+ to provide a real incentive to upgrade for the average user. I got tired of waiting for the better cameras from the mainstream manufacturers and dumped them for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1.

Lumia 640 is all of that, and you can have one for just $30. I used one for a couple months. It had fantastic battery life. I stopped using it because of the terrible app shortage of Windows Phone.

Guess I should add, requires Verizon. As much as I hate verizon, AT&T is just pure shit in my area for coverage.

Can somebody explain this: Samsung S7 Edge has screen size of 5.5" but some sources tell this includes the waterfalling edges. Is this true? What is then the size of the maximum rectangluar screen part for displaying photos or videos?

Back