Fallout 4 Is The DICE Awards Game Of The Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Fallout 4 took home Game of the Year honors at the DICE Awards yesterday. The Witcher 3 also did very well as did Microsoft's Ori and the Blind Forest.

Although Bethesda took home the most awards, there was plenty of love for small-budget games as well. The Microsoft-exclusive Ori and the Blind Forest took home three awards for music, animation and art direction. Rocket League beat out heavy hitters like FIFA 2016 and NBA 2K16 to take home best sports game, and was also the winner of the Sprite award, which honors games with a low budget and big impact.

Shouldn't the Fallout 4 community get an award for fixing another broken Bethesda game? If it wasn't for them releasing patches, hacks and fixes a lot of people wouldn't be able to play Fallout 4. They should also get credit for releasing better texture and effect packs, many of which were adapted from Skyrim since they use the same engine (contrary to Bethesda's claims).

If the award was based on the effort to profit ratio I can see how Fallout 4 would have won.

I wonder how much money changed hands here... I know opinions are like assholes and all that but FO4 was a turd when compared to the masterpiece that was Witcher 3.

I spent more time playing Fallout 4 after I beat it than before. That game is definitely a slow burn that sucks you in later rather than sooner.

I think Witcher 3 is the better all over game. That said, I get the itch to dive back into Fallout, but not so much Witcher.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the Fallout 4 community get an award for fixing another broken Bethesda game? If it wasn't for them releasing patches, hacks and fixes a lot of people wouldn't be able to play Fallout 4. They should also get credit for releasing better texture and effect packs, many of which were adapted from Skyrim since they use the same engine (contrary to Bethesda's claims).

I played FO4 on release day and the first week before any patches hit. Not 1 crash or bug, so not sure what you mean with "broken".

There is no way I think Fallout 4 was game of the year. It was good, but far from great. The Witcher 3 is easily the better game.

DICE Best Game of the Year Award is well deserved. Kudos to Bethesda for their ingenuity. Is it perfect? Probably not for many but for me it is entertaining and challenging which is what I like to see in any game I play.

I played Fallout 4 stock on Normal Mode through many side-quests until the BoS ending without any mods installed and never experienced any issue. The story, action, battles, dialog kept me entertained even past the ending; for close to 500 hours before staring a new character. I'm at 967 hours invested and still having a blast with Fallout 4.

DICE Best Game of the Year Award is well deserved. Kudos to Bethesda for their ingenuity. Is it perfect? Probably not for many but for me it is entertaining and challenging which is what I like to see in any game I play.

I played Fallout 4 stock on Normal Mode through many side-quests until the BoS ending without any mods installed and never experienced any issue. The story, action, battles, dialog kept me entertained even past the ending; for close to 500 hours before staring a new character. I'm at 967 hours invested and still having a blast with Fallout 4.

I'm not saying it's not fun, and I myself have over 500 hours invested in it. However, it's not the best game from last year. Best game shouldn't go to a game with such mediocre graphics and repetitive gameplay (even if it is fun).

Well deserved? Sure if you ignore The Witcher 3, MGSV, bloodborne, Rise of the tomb raider.

Mixed feelings, because while Witcher 3 seemed to be much better in terms over overall story, graphics, world-building, etc...Fallout 4 is a game that people are going to be playing constantly up until (and probably beyond) Fallout 5. Mods, expansions, etc. are going to give the game a much longer lifespan than Witcher 3 IMO.

Not many games have sucked me in and eaten up so much of my time as Bethesda first-person RPGs have.

There is no way I think Fallout 4 was game of the year. It was good, but far from great. The Witcher 3 is easily the better game.
This.

I bought Fallout 4 for my brother for Christmas but decided to test it to see what he would prefer.
I then bought him Witcher 3.

That's pretty subjective don't you think? I myself have roughly 12 hours in Witcher 3 and 40+ in Fallout 4.

I'm not saying it's not fun, and I myself have over 500 hours invested in it. However, it's not the best game from last year. Best game shouldn't go to a game with such mediocre graphics and repetitive gameplay (even if it is fun).

Uh isn't that the point? Every platformer that is considered a classic example of an amazing game was just a repetative side scrolling platform hopper. If a game is fun then is it not worthy of being considered great?

Well deserved? Sure if you ignore The Witcher 3, MGSV, bloodborne, Rise of the tomb raider.

MGSV? Are you serious? That's the worst game I had the misfortune of buying. It's terrible in every which way possible. Worst usage of my money ever. I was a fool for letting myself taken by the hype train.
Witcher? it might be good, but I seriously doubt it's that good. It's a no-brainer for me, since I couldn't stand Witcher1, and Witcher2 was barely mediocre, so I didn't even get Witcher 3.
Bloodborne as far as I'm concerned, if it's not on the PC, it doesn't exist.
Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's Tomb Raider exactly, it's just more of the same, I wouldn't even call it a new game, just an expansion. And while it's not bad, since it didn't bring anything new to the table it doesn't deserve to be goty.

As for fallout 4, it kept me going for over 100 hours, which no game has achieved in years. And 100 hours within barely 1 month. That's a huge deal for me. So it's not only GOTY for me, it's game of the last 3-4 years at least.

I played FO4 on release day and the first week before any patches hit. Not 1 crash or bug, so not sure what you mean with "broken".
I played it on day1 also, and hit a game breaking bug in the first 5 minutes of the game. You were lucky.
Still consider it GOTY though.

MGSV? Are you serious? That's the worst game I had the misfortune of buying. It's terrible in every which way possible. Worst usage of my money ever. I was a fool for letting myself taken by the hype train.
Witcher? it might be good, but I seriously doubt it's that good. It's a no-brainer for me, since I couldn't stand Witcher1, and Witcher2 was barely mediocre, so I didn't even get Witcher 3.
Bloodborne as far as I'm concerned, if it's not on the PC, it doesn't exist.
Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's Tomb Raider exactly, it's just more of the same, I wouldn't even call it a new game, just an expansion. And while it's not bad, since it didn't bring anything new to the table it doesn't deserve to be goty.

As for fallout 4, it kept me going for over 100 hours, which no game has achieved in years. And 100 hours within barely 1 month. That's a huge deal for me. So it's not only GOTY for me, it's game of the last 3-4 years at least.

I played it on day1 also, and hit a game breaking bug in the first 5 minutes of the game. You were lucky.
Still consider it GOTY though.

Might be that good? The level of graphics, story, polish, immersion, gameplay are all far beyond anything FO4 brings to the table. There is a reason that it beat out FO4 for GoTY from pretty much everyone but DICE. FO4 literally does nothing better than the witcher besides modding.

The other thing is the witcher 3 is not like 1 and 2 in many ways. Its a far more refined and polished game they made it easier to get into but managed to keep most of the depth.

Might be that good? The level of graphics, story, polish, immersion, gameplay are all far beyond anything FO4 brings to the table. There is a reason that it beat out FO4 for GoTY from pretty much everyone but DICE. FO4 literally does nothing better than the witcher besides modding.

The other thing is the witcher 3 is not like 1 and 2 in many ways. Its a far more refined and polished game they made it easier to get into but managed to keep most of the depth.

The thing is that I can't immerse myself with a character that I can't get behind. I might try it later when it's dirt cheap, but I don't expect much. The main reason (apart from the repetitive and boring fighting) for dumping witcher 2 was, that I gradually went from dislike to outright hate of the character.

For one thing FO4 allows you to create your own character, that's already infinitely better than being stuck with a character that you hate.

It seems to me that somehow after Skyrim it became cool to hate bethesda RPGs.

From what I read about Witcher 3, I'm not convinced that the story, and all is really that good. If I was convinced I would've bought it already.

The thing is that I can't immerse myself with a character that I can't get behind. I might try it later when it's dirt cheap, but I don't expect much. The main reason (apart from the repetitive and boring fighting) for dumping witcher 2 was, that I gradually went from dislike to outright hate of the character.

For one thing FO4 allows you to create your own character, that's already infinitely better than being stuck with a character that you hate.

It seems to me that somehow after Skyrim it became cool to hate bethesda RPGs.

From what I read about Witcher 3, I'm not convinced that the story, and all is really that good. If I was convinced I would've bought it already.

I just cant get behind a single thing you said. The main character in FO4 is fucking garbage bad. Easily the second worst aspect to the game behind Preston. "yeah i just watched my son get kidnapped and my wife get shot thing is they didnt pay my voice actor enough to add emotion to any dialog and the game designers dont know how to code a fucking frown so everything is k"

Also keeping in mind the whole "WE MUST FIND SHAWN NOW" is pretty much the narrative the whole game but the actual gameplay is like "sure as soon as we do 800 side quests we will get right on that".

I just cant get behind a single thing you said. The main character in FO4 is fucking garbage bad. Easily the second worst aspect to the game behind Preston. "yeah i just watched my son get kidnapped and my wife get shot thing is they didnt pay my voice actor enough to add emotion to any dialog and the game designers dont know how to code a fucking frown so everything is k"

Also keeping in mind the whole "WE MUST FIND SHAWN NOW" is pretty much the narrative the whole game but the actual gameplay is like "sure as soon as we do 800 side quests we will get right on that".
FO4 manages to be the most fun game in years to me regardless of those flaws. But you're confusing gameplay with storytelling. The two are completely separate, and gameplay wise FO4 is almost perfect. And I'm sure you meant to say the voice acting for the main character in FO4 is garbage, since you're completely free to make the character into whatever you want. The game does not stop you from pursuing nothing else than Shaun until you find him in the game. It's your choice as the player to go and do completely unrelated side quests.

I would still be playing fo4 if the 1.3 patch had not royally screwed up the game for me it won't even run on my PC anymore... And I can't fix it by rolling back the patch.

While re-iterating I do think Witcher was the better overall game. Where Fallout 4 spanks Witcher is overall exploration, adventure and immersion in the world as a whole(not talking story/characters here). Which shouldn't be understated and is the reason why I spent dozens of hours playing the game after I beat it.

Witcher definitely had a much better story, second to none writing and great characters. It was a much more modern game and very refreshing. I can not wait for their Cyberpunk game. That said, while the world is significantly larger and is truly open, I did not enjoy exploring as much as Fallout.

Maybe I was just lucky that the game has run pretty well for me. I didn't need anything, no mods, nothing, for the game to play pretty well.

Back