Facebook Plans To Put Ads In Messenger

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook has plans to launch ads in Messenger, according to a leaked document acquired by the staff at TechCrunch. When asked about the ads, Facebook gave the standard "We don’t comment on rumor or speculation" statement.

The document, obtained by TechCrunch but kept private to protect its verified source, says businesses will be able to send ads as messages to people who previously initiated a chat thread with that company. To prepare, the document recommends that businesses get consumers to start message threads with them now so they’ll be able to send them ads when the feature launches.

Ah yes, Facebook - that thing everyone told me I had to sign up for nine years ago.

Never did get around to doing that...

Sounds like a good reason for me to get rid of it. I was already annoyed they made separate apps for their crap, but I'm not dealing with ads when I don't even like the stupid thing.

WhatsApp is next...

Wow, that is a pain of a process to quote a post in this new forum. But anyway; I always thought WhatsApp was just a scam as I'd get a zillion scam emails every single damn day "missed messages in whatsapp". Never heard of it before. Finally got jack of it and researched it to find it's a real thing. lol. I just swept it under the same scam rug as the missed messages in linkin. Don't use linkin so, yea. :)

This whole thing is funny anyway. People only facebook companies when they need to complain, so they're already mad... here's a bunch of ads back at you to calm you down. L O L.

Only 9? People were bugging me back 13 years ago.

It was launched barely 12 years ago and at the time was for Harvard students. It wasn't until 2006 that it became public. I think you have your timeline messed up.

ru·mor
ˈro͞omər/
noun
noun: rumour; plural noun: rumours; noun: rumor; plural noun: rumors
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

So, what Facebook did by "We don’t comment on rumor or speculation", when they say "rumor", that means it is doubtful truth. So in essence, they answered the question. They are NOT putting them in. I don't even have messenger installed because they want access to every function on your cell phone (really? for texting someone?!). I just simply open the website and boom - there is messaging without installing the app.

So the long and short of it is:
IF you comment on a company's page. you implicitly authorize them to send you spam via messenger.

THIS will backfire as everyone will start un-liking company pages as a result.

Back