Earning Gridcoin for F@H

Doozer

2[H]4U
So out of boredom I started folding again under my new name with the address for earning Gridcoin.
For those of you doing that, how much gridcoin do I have to earn to be able to place a beacon?
I'm only cpu folding on my i5-13500 since I have no GPU at the moment. I'm getting just over 400k ppd now.
Maybe that will change soon as I had a job interview today.

So out of boredom I started folding again under my new name with the address for earning Gridcoin.
For those of you doing that, how much gridcoin do I have to earn to be able to place a beacon?
I'm only cpu folding on my i5-13500 since I have no GPU at the moment. I'm getting just over 400k ppd now.
Maybe that will change soon as I had a job interview today.
Make sure you have met the requirements for a beacon. I had something go wonky a while back and had to reinstall and wait awhile for everything to sync.

https://gridcoin.us/wiki/beacons.html

1685141467141.png

You really need to have enough in your wallet to stake which is around 10k GRC. Without enough coin you wont be able to stake reliably beacon or not. Prob not worth it for cpu folding as even if / when you do stake your magnitude is gonna be really low so rewards will be low. The beacon itself is really amount like .5 grc every 6 months but you cant earn anything without a beacon and you cant stake reliably without a starting balance

You can buy gridcoin from an exchange like southxchange.com and send it to your gridcoin wallet (thats what i did to start). Again however i caution its prob not worthwhile unless you have more crunching power as your roi would be forever

If I'm not mistaken, if you choose any one of the GC whitelist projects (either FAH or BOINC) in which you happen to be a big contributor (among those who signed up for GC), aren't you likely to earn more GC relative to a project where you happen to be a small contributor? I mean there are a lot of folders, so you will likely be competing with those who have 4090, 4080, etc. LTT has a large number of folders and I read that some are into GC.

Last edited:
I think that I'm going to just let it run while I job hunt. I feel pretty good about my interview today so maybe I'll get a call next week. Then it will be time for a 4080/4090.

Good luck with the job. There were faucets that will give a very small amount of GRC regularly. You could link them and it should cover a beacon soon enough. But staking will take a couple bucks.

If I'm not mistaken, if you choose any one of the GC whitelist projects (either FAH or BOINC) in which you happen to be a big contributor (among those who signed up for GC), aren't you likely to earn more GC relative to a project where you happen to be a small contributor? I mean there are a lot of folders, so you will likely be competing with those who have 4090, 4080, etc. LTT has a large number of folders and I read that some are into GC.
The way i read it working is there is 115,000 magnitude which they evenly distribute across all the whitelisted projects. The more active a project is the lower your magnitude is going to be on that project due to competition. (this is calculated based on the RAC of all the users on that given project) This is done to encourage users to support projects that are less "popular"

These are some examples they list that explain the calculation:

Example 1​

Adam is crunching exclusively on World Community Grid. His RAC is as follows:

• World Community Grid: 10,000
The total Project RAC across all Gridcoin Crunchers is as follows:

• World Community Grid: 10,000,000
Adam’s Magnitude can then be calculated:

• World Community Grid: (10,000/10,000,000)*7,187.5 = 7.1875
As this is the only whitelisted project Adam is crunching, he would have a Total Magnitude of 7.1875.

Example 2​

Eve is crunching GPUgrid, World Community Grid and Rosetta@home. Her RAC across the various projects is as follows:

• GPUgrid: 3,000
  • World Community Grid: 7,000
  • Rosetta@home: 9,000
The total Project RACs across all Gridcoin crunchers are as follows:

• GPUgrid: 6,000,000
  • World Community Grid: 10,000,000
  • Rosetta@home: 20,000,000
Eve’s Magnitude in each project would then be:

• GPUgrid: (3,000/6,000,000)*7,187.5 = 3.5938
  • World Community Grid: (7,000/10,000,000)*7,187.5 = 5.0312
  • Rosetta@home: (9,000/20,000,000)*7,187.5 = 3.234375
Eve’s Total Magnitude would then be 3.5938 + 5.0312 + 3.234375 = 11.859375

Good examples. I think FAH will be more challenging due to its popularity. Rosetta is more challenging due to the difficulty in getting consistent supply of tasks but if you can grab most of the tasks when they are in short supply, then presumably you can take a larger share of the pie.

Well..it isn't just how popular the project is. It is how many GRC seekers are contributing and how much they are contributing to the project in discussion. I want that to be clear as the word popular gets tossed out we are only talking amongst Gridcoiners. FAH was recently added and it is a bit quarky to set up if you don't already contribute to BOINC projects. When I first set it up, there weren't that many really doing it. It is slowly growing but I'm really surprised they didn't have a lot more hop on then what they have so far. I personally would put the CPU resources on BOINC projects as suggested above. Just put it on the ones that are whitelisted.

If you need a couple GRC sent to your wallet to get the beacon set up, just DM me your wallet address. Also, don't be surprised if this thread gets taken down or moved. In the past, anything mentioning crypto pretty much had that done to them even if they were DC projects....

Doing a bit more research.

This GC site provides some stat about GC participation by BOINC (whitelisted) project. BOINC projects that GC folks seems to like to run is like ODLK1 (at 73% participation). One could throw a couple of cpu rigs and get 100K RAC over 30 days. Amicable number and srbase, one could easily get a few MPPD with a few ampere gpus. These three projects have regular supply of task availability with high participation rate. You can see a list of GC earners too for each project.

Some food for thought.

This faucet can also be used though it would most likely take a while to get enough to cover the beacon. https://freegridco.in/
They also have a faucet in their Discord.

How long should I wait till I see anything coming up for gridcoin in my wallet? I can't even get a beacon to work. I'm about to just give up and go back to my original folding name and forget about this gridcoin thing.

How long should I wait till I see anything coming up for gridcoin in my wallet? I can't even get a beacon to work. I'm about to just give up and go back to my original folding name and forget about this gridcoin thing.
You have to get the beacon to work first. Have you followed the steps on the GRC website? https://gridcoin.us/guides/earn-grc.htm Let me know if any of those steps confuse you and I will try to help.

I'll post it when/if it happens this time.

Just FYI, I added an RX5700 for folding. I'm up to almost a million PPD now. I can't wait till I can add those 4090s.

wareyore , I just started gridcoin. Wondering why it took me so long 🤔 With your current FAH output of roughly 10M PPD, how much is your magnitude?

It's sitting in the low 200's. Payouts are every couple of days now. Total GRC is ~1000 in the last month.

Back