Dual Sense D-Pad's Keep Failing

LittleBuddy

Limp Gawd
I'm on my third DualSense controller. I originally bought my first one the week they came out, the controller lasted for about a year, and I didn't use the D-Pad very often on this controller since I was still using the DualShock 4 for fighting games. It did end up breaking while playing Ori. I cleaned the contacts under the d-pad, it still didn't work.

Bought a second controller, this controller lasted after 6 months of use (I had it for over a year, but wasn't playing any games on it for most of the time). The D-Pad failed on this controller as well, also cleaned the contacts. It did work for a few days after cleaning the contacts then it quit working again.

Bought a third controller, this controller lasted 2 weeks. D-Pad went bad same as above. Didn't bother cleaning the contacts.

The issue that keeps happening is the directional inputs (U,D,L,R) keep doing two inputs. For example if I hit Right, it will actually input Down + Right. Or if I hit Up, it will input Up + Right. This same thing happened on all my DualSense controllers. I have never had an issue with the Dualshock 4s that I owned (V1 and V2). I would go back to the Dualshock 4, but I prefer the feel of the Dual Sense.

Anyone else run into this issue? Are there any DualSense-like controllers with a better D-Pad that I should look into? I play Tekken 95% of the time and don't really want to go back to Dualshock 4 since it's not as comfortable. Worst case scenario is I buy a new DualSense every few weeks/months.

I haven't had the D-pad fail, but it is definitely a terrible design. The hard plastic they used versus the soft plastic on prior controllers is the biggest issue. I played through Super Metroid with it once and my thumb felt broken afterward. After so many years of always having the industry's best D-pad, it is quite shocking that the fucked with the design and made it one of the worst.

Sony isn't licensing the Dualsense tech to third-parties, so unfortunately if you want the haptic feedback and such you're stuck with Sony.

Fortunately I haven't had any issues with any of my controllers and I have all consoles and their various controllers; Xbox One/Series, 2x Dual Shock 4s, 3x Dual Senses, 2x Joycon sets, 2x Switch Pro controllers. I game 90% on my PS5 the past couple years now, but I don't play fighting games much or games that use the d-pad a lot though. The only prob I've had once was somehow some sticky food or something got into the face buttons on one of my Dual Senses and I had to disassemble it to clean it out and accidentally ripped the tiny ribbon cables that go to the microphones on the controller. Obviously not the controller's fault, but I was able to find a replacement cable for it for like $3 online too.

There has to be some way you can maybe shim or mod the d-pad somehow to prevent the d-pad from hitting the two directions at once when only pressing one of the directions. If it has happened to you 3 times now, it has to have happened to others and maybe someone has posted a fix on Reddit or Youtube or something for it. Have you searched around a bit to see?

Don't know what you doing with your controllers. I am still on my original from near PS5 launch and have no issues with it. Hell I dropped it a bunch too.

I do have to clean out my dual sense more than any other controller I've owned, ever. The buttons on it easily become jammed up with hand grime/sweat. A quick spray down with 99% isopropyl alcohol fixes it every time though.

Back