Dell U2715U or Asus MG279Q

menko2

n00b
Hi.

Im about to buy a 27" 1440P monitor. Im looking for IPS too.

Im looking to this options and the Dell is 120€ cheaper here in Europe.

I have a laptop with GTX 980M 8GB card and I can't use GSync or AMD freesync with my card (980M with optimus doesnt allow me to use GSync).

Also the acer xb270hu looks good.

Any recomendation for gaming on pc? Not TN.

Thank you

Last edited:
The LG 27MB85R-B is better than both. It has slightly better colour presets, can be hardware calibrated with an i1 display pro and has a nice matte grey bezel which vastly increases the perceived black depth while the Asus and Dells frame-less inner black bezel ruins the perceived black depth (example). The Asus is essentially a Dell re-brand with a different coloured bezel and inferior stand and warranty, so there's no reason to pay more for it.

Best 27" 2560x1440 Monitors

The LG 27MB85R-B is better than both. It has slightly better colour presets, can be hardware calibrated with an i1 display pro and has a nice matte grey bezel which vastly increases the perceived black depth while the Asus and Dells frame-less inner black bezel ruins the perceived black depth (example). The Asus is essentially a Dell re-brand with a different coloured bezel and inferior stand and warranty, so there's no reason to pay more for it.

Best 27" 2560x1440 Monitors

Can't find that LG here. Just the 27MB85R but without the -B.

What about the ACER XB270HU?

Can't find that LG here. Just the 27MB85R but without the -B.

What about the ACER XB270HU?

Can you link me to the LG? There are two version, the -B (standard gamut) and -Z (wide gamut) which is made for professional photographers and is likely considerably more expensive than the Asus and Dell.

The XB270HU is a waste of money since it won't work with your GPU. If you want a high hz 1440p monitor, consider buying the overclock-able Crossover 2795QHD or plan on waiting a few months since cheaper 144hz 1440p monitors without G-Sync will likely come out this fall.

Sorry for the mix up, the two LGs are the 27M85R-B and 27MB85Z-B which is the more expensive wide gamut version. I think the LG 27MB85R is worth the extra money over the Dell, especially if you plan on watching movies too. If you want to save money, buy the Asus PB278QR since it's on par with the Dell and also has a nicer bezel.

Sorry for the mix up, the two LGs are the 27M85R-B and 27MB85Z-B which is the more expensive wide gamut version. I think the LG 27MB85R is worth the extra money over the Dell, especially if you plan on watching movies too. If you want to save money, buy the Asus PB278QR since it's on par with the Dell and also has a nicer bezel.

I will pick up the Asus PB278QR or the LG 27MB85R you mention (it's 200€ more expensive but will see).

Noob question, will I see much improvement over my TV Panasonic 37" TLX-37DT30E? Its also a AH-IPS panel, 60hz and the Game mode lower the lag.

Last edited:
Well the MG279Q uses a native 144hz IPS panel. I wish it had the full range of Freesync frequency (irrelevant with Nvidia at this point) and a strobing feature, but it's a way to get the same panel as the one in XB270HU at a discount.
However it briefly launched and was quickly recalled due to frameskipping - I wouldn't chance buying one until the big sites have it in stock officially again.

Good thing - the 2715U is junk. It can't hold a display port signal to save it's life.

to me, anyone who buys a monitor these days without gsync is like buying a car with no wheels and a steering wheel.

Kind of moot point considering he is hooking it up to a laptop that cannot do G-Sync through an external monitor.

While I do agree G-Sync is a game breaker, buying a G-Sync monitor without G-Sync GPU to go with it is like buying a Ferrari without its shell.

to me, anyone who buys a monitor these days without gsync is like buying a car with no wheels and a steering wheel.

Well it's perfectly fine if you don't intend to use the monitor for gaming as I don't see any benefit to having gsync for regular desktop use. Anyone who games often enough though should definitely not ignore gsync. I feel it provides a far better gaming experience vs a 21:9 ultra wide or 50 inch 4k TV that doesn't have it.

I want GSync badly but I can't use it with a laptop even if it's a GTX 980M what I have...so theres no point.

My issue is that i dont know if my unit is a new one or not. I contacted the company I bought it for and theyes said they don't know since when they have it in stock. I told them about the problem and if it's a bad unit they will Refund.

How do I know if it's a bad unit?

Isn't the MG279Q still under recall? It's only been a few weeks, I doubt they'd have many units shipping to new customers already.

Correct, the few that were in the hands of retailers were quickly recalled. No ETA yet on when we'll see these hit (although shops will be happy to take your money for preorders).

Correct, the few that were in the hands of retailers were quickly recalled. No ETA yet on when we'll see these hit (although shops will be happy to take your money for preorders).

Here in spain they have it in stock. At least in the store I buy normally. I bought mine yesterday. What I don't know if it's gonna be a faulty one or not.

Here in spain they have it in stock. At least in the store I buy normally. I bought mine yesterday. What I don't know if it's gonna be a faulty one or not.

It is faulty if it skips every 6th frame meaning it does not properly function at 144Hz.

Same in Denmark. Big sites like Komplett removed it from sale when Asus recalled it, but smaller sites don't mind emptying their stock.
I'd return it ASAP, frame skipping is a bitch

Back