Custom copper pads on CPU

havoc lingers

Limp Gawd
Applying copper pads on memory die and GPU die, you can reduce temperature for 45C/113F which is very big change. It looks like this on the GPU under the heatsink.

Question is would the same process help on the CPU and around the CPU? Copper pads I've seen, they don't fit around the CPU.
But, if you squeeze thin copper pad between CPU and cooler that would be possible theoretically. Is this achievable ? If it would reduce temperature for 20-30C, it would make huge difference.

Screens for how it looks on memory die and GPU die:

Attachments

• CopperMod-1.jpg
    CopperMod-1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CopperMod-2.jpg
    CopperMod-2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
On the gpu memory there is no heatspreader, so adding the copper both spreads the heat and increases contact pressure from the cooler, which improves cooling.

The CPU already has a heatspreader, so adding an additional shim on top will be unlikely to have a large positive effect, and may even be worse. Doesn't hurt to try, but I'd not expect good results.

the ihs is a copper "pad". best you can do is lap both cpu and heatsink and use the best paste you can. that guy also didnt knock off 45c, it was a little over 30 and ^^^ thats why.

I've seen delidded CPUs with custom copper IHSs. Probably the closest thing you'd see for a CPU to what this guy was doing.

Back