Critical Flaw Affecting Every Version Of Windows Patched

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you haven't updated your PC in a while, now would be a good time to do so. This vulnerability affects every version of Windows so, if you have a Microsoft OS installed, you need to patch your box.

Microsoft said on its regularly scheduled Patch Tuesday that users on Windows Vista and later -- including Windows 10 -- should patch as soon as possible to prevent attackers from exploiting a flaw in how the operating system handles media files. The "critical" bulletin (MS16-027) patches an issue that could allow an attacker to remotely execute code or malware as the logged-in user. Those who are logged in as an administrator are at the greatest risk.

Humm, will this critical update also have some more Windows 10 easter eggs ? :cautious:

i can't even download any updates on both my laptops for some reason.. rather odd. My desktop d/l'ed them fine though.

So much for the snakeoil marketing that 10 is inherently much more secure than prior versions.

What is up with this? Update shows Windows 10, which I don't want, go to more updates and select the updates, go the main screen and if I click on get started, it starts to download Windows 10 and not install the updates I selected.

windows updates.jpg

What is up with this? Update shows Windows 10, which I don't want, go to more updates and select the updates, go the main screen and if I click on get started, it starts to download Windows 10 and not install the updates I selected.

View attachment 898

Also, click on optional, uncheck it and hide it, that is all. Personally, I think Windows 10 is fantastic and is definitely better than previous versions of Windows for my IT usage pattern. However, a client - server network would be best to stick with what they are already using at this time. (Programs might not be compatible or the server OS might not work as well with Windows 10.

On thing is sure, there really is Microsoft hate out there and I get to be entertained by it. (Just like the last 20 years or so. :) ) There are legitimate concerns such as the person I quoted but, there is irrational hatred as well, which we all know where it is coming from. :D

It seemed to install those updates I selected automatically. About an hour later I was prompted to reboot or postpone.
The main thing I don't like about Windows 10 is the interface, everything is so flat and square looking.

MS should have interface Themes built in, XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10 to choose from.

On thing is sure, there really is Microsoft hate out there and I get to be entertained by it. (Just like the last 20 years or so. :) ) There are legitimate concerns such as the person I quoted but, there is irrational hatred as well, which we all know where it is coming from. :D

I agree with you about the hate :/ I mean, it seems a lot of people hate Microsoft systems, like 7 or 8.1. It even seems like some Microsoft employees themselves are distancing themselves from a lot of Windows versions... :)

MS should have interface Themes built in, XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10 to choose from.

Sadly, a theme is not just graphics. What you see is also tied to what's under the hood. It's not just window decorations, icons and such. Consider GPU accelerated GUI effects. The more themes you have, the more work has to be done to make sure all the visuals will work properly on new generations of hardware.
I don't know if you ever experienced this problem, but - for example - we have some software suites at work that are developed by our government and its' contractors. It's for social aid, foster parenting and such.
In that time, XP had a 'modern' theme and the classic one. And that choice alone was too much for the devs to handle and the 'modern' theme, when enabled, caused all sorts of rendering problems like windows overlapping, wasted screen real-estate, etc.

There is a programming issue with that screen. If you go to optional, uncheck Windows 10 update, then click install for the rest of the updates, it will still say downloading Windows 10. It won't actually install the upgrade though, and will install your updates.

View attachment 898
download 'destroy windows spying' Its a tool that removes a bunch of M$ spying updates as well as the crappy windows 10 upgrade thing. It will also hide the updates so they dont come back. Windows 10 is crap despite what ManofGod says.

download 'destroy windows spying' Its a tool that removes a bunch of M$ spying updates as well as the crappy windows 10 upgrade thing. It will also hide the updates so they dont come back. Windows 10 is crap despite what ManofGod says.

In your opinion but, that's cool. ;) (Posted from a 100% stable Windows 10 Pro install. :D)

In your opinion but, that's cool. ;) (Posted from a 100% stable Windows 10 Pro install. :D)
never said it wasnt stable (which if you are just using your pc and a few others as a sample size then its makes no sense) I just said it was crap and there is no reason to upgrade from 7 to 10 but the 'features' it offers are not worth it. Now if i got a new laptop that had 10 on it i wouldnt uninstall it and put 7 on it, mainly because its too much of a hassle.

I agree with you about the hate :/ I mean, it seems a lot of people hate Microsoft systems, like 7 or 8.1. It even seems like some Microsoft employees themselves are distancing themselves from a lot of Windows versions... :)

Internally at MS nobody truly likes 10, and most employees have iPhones and Androids.

Personally, I think Windows 10 is fantastic...

On thing is sure, there really is Microsoft hate out there and I get to be entertained by it.

When someone uses an adjective such as "fantastic" it is clear there are Microsoft shills out there. :geek:

And this would surprise anyone, why? Isn't this typical microsoft behavior? Ignore what the customer says, and do what they want to anyway?

When someone uses an adjective such as "fantastic" it is clear there are Microsoft shills out there. :geek:

Like there's a lack of people that just as extreme and diametrically opposite adjectives to describe Windows 10. Just people someone doesn't like something doesn't mean someone else can truly see it a very positive light of their own accord.

Bullshit, enough said. :D ;) :rolleyes::eek: I have said it before and I will say it again, love what you do and do what you love. If you cannot do that, get into another line of work. I do not go around criticizing stuff and trying to make myself appear better than I am, which means I would rather be a shill than..... :wtf:

And you know this how?

Well, he is DPI, he knows it all, don't you know? :D

Bullshit, enough said. :D ;) :rolleyes::eek: I have said it before and I will say it again, love what you do and do what you love. If you cannot do that, get into another line of work. I do not go around criticizing stuff and trying to make myself appear better than I am, which means I would rather be a shill than..... :wtf:

Well, he is DPI, he knows it all, don't you know? :D

Your response makes no sense. Someone can love IT but hate how some companies treat their customers.

Your response makes no sense. Someone can love IT but hate how some companies treat their customers.

Hating something is hardly the same as coming on a board and constantly complaining no matter the situation. A person who hate something but loves what they do will not be in a constant state of complaint, in my opinion. Basically, simply enjoy what is and stop gripping over things you cannot control. (Not you personally but, I am sure you understand.)

Hating something is hardly the same as coming on a board and constantly complaining no matter the situation. A person who hate something but loves what they do will not be in a constant state of complaint, in my opinion. Basically, simply enjoy what is and stop gripping over things you cannot control. (Not you personally but, I am sure you understand.)

I know what you mean, but in my opinion this extreme negativity is a knee jerk reaction to the exact opposite of what you described.
When a security issue about Windows 10 is raised, such as not being able to control updates, or certain privacy-related settings being set to reveal info by default, it is equally tasteless to go around and constantly play devil's advocate.
If someone gets hit with a forced upgrade to 10, or is actively battling GWX and sees it come back and back again, then it is not the time for statements like 'just go with it', or 'why do you care about a few megs of RAM being wasted'.
And this is coming from a guy who has tried Windows 10. I've seen it, used it, even find it visually appealing and okay for my needs.

Back