Corsair 5000D Airflow - $93 @ Woot

Why dont cases have a 5.25” expansion slot anymore? I’m old.

Giant majority of buyer that will take a fan there over a 5.25 expansion as a default setup, with people not using dvd type media or sound card with a 5.25 expansion, their use (for fan-wc controller, sd cards reader or what not) became quite niche

Last edited:

Because practically no one uses them anymore and haven't in over a decade. Once DVD drives died out so did optical bays. Outside of a handful of niche cases, basically every single piece of PC software is either digital or comes on USB drives so there's really no demand what-so-ever (again, outside of those niche cases).

So want a newer case but also no drive bays is a now go for me.
I have a hardware, so I will wait.
I see no reason why they cant have dive bay models too.

pcpart list can make a rough start , you can put how many internal 3.5, 2.5, etc... you want:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#J=6,20&sort=int_350&page=1

Relatively recent fractal have them, corsair 7000D for a case quite similar to the 5000D
I've been eyeing that 7000D to replace the'ol HAF X I've been using since 2010 I think. I would prefer to just keep the HAF X though if I could just replace the busted IO panel with a new one with current ports like USB C and stuff. But I can't even find a new IO replacement panel for it anywhere in stock anymore. I really like the large 240mm side panel fan on it and it seems no cases have any side panel fans anymore.

it seems no cases have any side panel fans anymore
That seem to have got extremely rare yes, not sure why, maybe airflow becoming more important than direct air, maybe the popularity of glass panel and not wanting the solid panel option to be the most expensive one....

That seem to have got extremely rare yes, not sure why, maybe airflow becoming more important than direct air, maybe the popularity of glass panel and not wanting the solid panel option to be the most expensive one....
Well the HAF X has a glass panel still, with the 240mm fan on it. Maybe the fan isn't doing as much for the GPU as I'd expect, but it has to be doing something because there's even a small shroud on the inside directing the air right to the GPU. It's a pretty well designed case that I'd like to just see CM do an update on. I think it'd still sell pretty well today.

I really like the HAF series. I used a 932 (I think that was the number) for several years, until my aging back decided it didn't want to lift it off the ground anymore and turn it on its side for monthly dustings (dog hair, you see). I have since moved everything to the XB Evo, and it is so much easier to just remove the top and side panels for maintenance, and the airflow/cooling aspect is still good enough for my needs.

I won't buy a case that doesn't have at least 4 or more 5.25" drive bays. 1 for CD/DVD/BR/UHD drive and 3 others to use as a 3 bay to 5x3.5" HDD HotSwap drive cage.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
pcpart list can make a rough start , you can put how many internal 3.5, 2.5, etc... you want:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#J=6,20&sort=int_350&page=1

Relatively recent fractal have them, corsair 7000D for a case quite similar to the 5000D

Be careful when using a simple filter like this, if you're planning a high end system, though. I used something similar myself when I was planning a case swap earlier. The problem with many 6+ 3.5" bay systems is that the bays can drastically limit the size of your GPU. This is what you're looking out for:
1706029138703.png

I asked them on their suggestion page to take this crap out because it's disingenuous and misleading. The filtering for GPU length is based on the maximum without drive cages, which is absolutely freaking useless as a filter when you have this included in fine print.

If you are planning to get a 4080 or above, it can easily eat into that space. Some cases (O11 by Lian Li) also drastically reduce their airflow if you start using the 3.5" bays, as well (thanks to that useless glass front panel, thanks Lian Li). It's a scenario especially with a lot of Fractal Design's cases that boast an 8 HDD capacity, and then you realize that they're pretty just stacking a tower of HDDs straight up where any GPU with a long cooler would reach. Obviously another fun thing is that the 12VHPWR connector needs more clearance before bending, than most cases can actually provide lol. I chose the Thermaltake CTE C700 for my purposes and I like it well enough, with some complaints. Just a lot of caveats from when I was doing my own research a few months ago to consider.

Be careful when using a simple filter like this,
Of even direct website case info, yes a 420mm AIO can fit in a Meshify 2... if you remove a lot of things and work quite a bit to make it fit.

The filtering for GPU length is based on the maximum without drive cages
Which will be what almost everyone looking will want too, has it wil be quite rare to put big GPU and drive cage level of disks in the same machine we can imagine nowaday (outside large data machine learning or something of the sorts)

Which will be what almost everyone looking will want too, has it wil be quite rare to put big GPU and drive cage level of disks in the same machine we can imagine nowaday (outside large data machine learning or something of the sorts)

I agree that if you're filtering down to one or the other by itself, you might not care about that pointless overlap. But for both? Yeah you definitely do. If you're filtering based on 3.5" slots numbers and supported card length to begin with, you're looking for both factors to exist in the case concurrently. Being able to filter down to one, but requiring the absence of the other, is antithetical to the purpose of it. That's why my recommendation to them was to make it at least a boolean toggle for which GPU card length support you're interested in: with or without the drive cages. After all, they have it on the product page, so it's trivial to make (supposing it's in freeform text format) a regex crawler that will turn that into an actual numerical parameter split into two fields. The SQL that would filter down to either one can also trivially handle one or the other not existing with a coalesce function (supposing they're using standard SQL, anyway, but I'm sure NoSQL varieties have equivalents anyway).

As far as what percentage of people building a system with, say, a 4090 (/large 4080/7900XTX) and many HDDs, I won't comment. I'm sure it's a small percentage, but it's a small percentage to begin with due to the GPU prices. Personally, I like having my powerful machine coupled with all of my storage. Currently about 70TB.

They are still out there, but that's definitely not mainstream anymore and hasn't been for a decade. Airflow has definitely improved because of it unless you have weird designs with side intakes.

I won't buy a case that doesn't have at least 4 or more 5.25" drive bays. 1 for CD/DVD/BR/UHD drive and 3 others to use as a 3 bay to 5x3.5" HDD HotSwap drive cage.

Not in use at the moment but hanging on to the Centurion. I had plans to load it with drives back in the day.
1706309918106.png

oh, it's listed Sold Out now.

Back