CIA Director: No One's Emails Are Safe

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, during an interview with 60 Minutes, said hackers can "get into the personal emails of anyone." This is especially true if you are the head of the CIA and still use AOL. :D

So what did the CIA chief John Brennan learn from that? Apparently, that if hackers really want to hack your email, they can—but also that people should be wary of the information they share with others. “There are ways that individuals can get into the personal emails of anybody,” Brennan said, during an interview with CBS’s 60 Minutes, which aired on Sunday.

The Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, during an interview with 60 Minutes, said hackers can "get into the personal emails of anyone."

Later on he also said "yes, we do employ our own hackers"

I believe them. They outsource to the NSA for that information.

So what did the CIA chief John Brennan learn from that? Apparently, that if hackers really want to hack your email, they can—but also that people should be wary of the information they share with others. “There are ways that individuals can get into the personal emails of anybody,” Brennan said, during an interview with CBS’s 60 Minutes, which aired on Sunday.

Even if I setup my own email server in a closet?

Mine is. I host my own private server. Won't go into details but let's just say it's behind more VPN's, firewalls, and encryption then you'd know what to do with. Makes it barely usable honestly but it works and, yeah, no one can see my shit.

Mine is. I host my own private server. Won't go into details but let's just say it's behind more VPN's, firewalls, and encryption then you'd know what to do with. Makes it barely usable honestly but it works and, yeah, no one can see my shit.
Wow you send some super secret stuff by e-mail.

I have bitcoin private addresses on an email.

Quintuple encrypted, of course.

Not even you, it seems.

Ugh

edit: test?

YOU CAN EDIT POSTS NOW! :O

Front page news posts can't be edited since....ever.

PS. this new layout will take some getting used to :S

edit: I guess you CAN edit posts now <--- this is an edit :D

He's just saying that because he got hacked. Hopefully Google manages their servers and password reset policies better than the CIA or AOL does.

Email is send unencrypted so it's insecure by definition. If you want to secure your email do so on the message level with a tool like PGP, the infrastructure is insecure by design so there really isn't any point trying to secure it. You'd have to replace the entire system.

Back