ChatGPT linked to declining academic performance and memory loss in new study

Education is somewhat of a partnership. Up to you if you think "cheating" (whatever that might mean to you) is what you want to do.

Just an aside.
Using calculators on a test is not a college policy, that's 100% on the teacher involved. If your college is small and only one teacher is teaching that level then yeah you could be hosed big time if you have a "this is the way I did it when I was a student" type of teacher. I went to a $10/unit community college to take Calculus back in the early 90s (i.e. not prestigious at all) and a graphing calculator was actually a requirement for the class (was most expensive thing for the class at the time too!)
I went to community college which I was told weren't allowing graphic calculators in tests. You need a graphing calculator for class, but it was a wasn't allowed in tests. Outside of community colleges it was maybe dependent on the teacher.

Reactions: erek
like this
When I was in college I was struggling with Calculus, because my college won't let us use graphing or even regular calculators for tests. I then found out that other colleges let you use them during tests. Friend of mine had the most expensive graphing calculator money can buy, and he used them in tests. The more prestige the college, the more lenient they were with calculators during tests. Remember when people would write book reports by using the blurb part of the book? People plagiarized all the time long before the internet as well as AI. Plagiarism online has long since been out of control before AI. Nothing changed, but the tools. Maybe the problem isn't ChatGPT, but the method we teach students?
It's very amusing (mostly annoying) how you attempt to downplay the profound implications of AI by comparing it to past instances of cheating and plagiarism with books, calculators, and the internet. Those comparisons utterly fail to grasp the magnitude of what AI (and particularly ChatGPT) is capable of in the grand scheme of things.

It's very amusing (mostly annoying) how you attempt to downplay the profound implications of AI by comparing it to past instances of cheating and plagiarism with books, calculators, and the internet. Those comparisons utterly fail to grasp the magnitude of what AI (and particularly ChatGPT) is capable of in the grand scheme of things.
I'm not downplaying AI, just the reaction people have to using it. If you're worry about what AI can do, then students not properly learning is the least of our concern.

View: https://youtu.be/Ug4--gTy-sA?si=2RBeJy85C2JddlmX

View: https://youtu.be/Sq1QZB5baNw?si=Qg0-nizOP_AGEtSs

Reactions: erek
like this
This thread randomly reminded me of a comic my friend made when we were both in Grad school for Mechanical Engineering (Would have been 2009 I think?).

20081208.gif

So kind of to say, yea, people are always going to find other ways to do work.

That being said, pretty much every job is going to use LLMs/AI of some sort for the most part, I don't think It's necessarily a bad thing to teach people how to use it. Obviously not just flat out use it for everything and not learn, but there is still a good way to do both.
Jensen was on one of our company sales meetings talking with our CEO a few months back, and I kind of like how he put it, It's just a new/different form of computing.

This thread randomly reminded me of a comic my friend made when we were both in Grad school for Mechanical Engineering (Would have been 2009 I think?).

View attachment 644230

So kind of to say, yea, people are always going to find other ways to do work.

That being said, pretty much every job is going to use LLMs/AI of some sort for the most part, I don't think It's necessarily a bad thing to teach people how to use it. Obviously not just flat out use it for everything and not learn, but there is still a good way to do both.
Jensen was on one of our company sales meetings talking with our CEO a few months back, and I kind of like how he put it, It's just a new/different form of computing.
“Larry Summers, Now an OpenAI Board Member, Thinks AI Could Replace 'Almost All'”

Just an update to this, but I'm not the only one who made this correlation.

"There is a common analogy between calculators and their impact on mathematics education, and generative AI and its impact on CS education. Teachers had to find the right amount of long-hand arithmetic and mathematical problem solving for students to do, in order for them to have the “number sense” to be successful later in algebra and calculus. Too much focus on calculators diminished number sense. We have a similar situation in determining the “code sense” required for students to be successful in this new realm of automated software engineering. It will take a few iterations to understand exactly what kind of praxis students need in this new era of LLMs to develop sufficient code sense, but now is the time to experiment."

https://cacm.acm.org/opinion/generative-ai-and-cs-education/
https://news.slashdot.org/story/24/...kened-to-calculators-impact-on-math-education

Just an update to this, but I'm not the only one who made this correlation.

"There is a common analogy between calculators and their impact on mathematics education, and generative AI and its impact on CS education. Teachers had to find the right amount of long-hand arithmetic and mathematical problem solving for students to do, in order for them to have the “number sense” to be successful later in algebra and calculus. Too much focus on calculators diminished number sense. We have a similar situation in determining the “code sense” required for students to be successful in this new realm of automated software engineering. It will take a few iterations to understand exactly what kind of praxis students need in this new era of LLMs to develop sufficient code sense, but now is the time to experiment."

https://cacm.acm.org/opinion/generative-ai-and-cs-education/
https://news.slashdot.org/story/24/...kened-to-calculators-impact-on-math-education
ChatGPT is terrible at coding. ChatGPT can also do infinitely more things than rudimentary coding.

I am a professor of anatomical sciences (i.e., gross anatomy, histology, embryology, and neuroanatomy) at a well-known US medical school. Here are a few of my observations:
- ChatGPT 3.5 and 4 can write well enough to pass general freshman-level English composition courses
- They begin struggling with details of anatomical sciences past the introductory level
- By first-year training for MD/DO/PA/other graduate-level allied health sciences professions, their miss rates are high enough to cause frequent problems (i.e., it produces so many errors so often it's not a useful resource)
- AI's misses, at least in terms of what I do, seem to be either bizarre errors no human would make or total failure to appreciate how science is not always black and white - it is often nuanced and highly dependent upon many, many other considerations
- A study I recently completed with a student demonstrated an error rate that would keep an undergraduate student from successfully completing an honors thesis

There are a lot of lower-level white collar jobs that AI will obsolete in the coming decade. I hope the rise of AI will encourage more young people to attain valuable vocational training instead of pursuing a BA/BS that is often simply no longer a good investment.

I'm in my mid-40s, and I am not particularly concerned about an AI replacing higher-level professionals in my lifetime. VERY fortunate my folks growing up in Michigan in the 50s and 60s saw robots replace line workers in the auto industry - they encouraged me to train for a job that was unlikely to get automated. AFAIK, AI does not (yet) ask interesting, useful questions. Students answer questions while masters ask them.

Last edited:
I am a professor of anatomical sciences (i.e., gross anatomy, histology, embryology, and neuroanatomy) at a well-known US medical school. Here are a few of my observations:
- ChatGPT 3.5 and 4 can write well enough to pass general freshman-level English composition courses
- They begin struggling with details of anatomical sciences past the introductory level
- By first-year training for MD/DO/PA/other graduate-level allied health sciences professions, their miss rates are high enough to cause frequent problems (i.e., it produces so many errors so often it's not a useful resource)
- AI's misses, at least in terms of what I do, seem to be either bizarre errors no human would make or total failure to appreciate how science is not always black and white - it is often nuanced and highly dependent upon many, many other considerations
- A study I recently completed with a student demonstrated an error rate that would keep an undergraduate student from successfully completing an honors thesis

There are a lot of lower-level white collar jobs that AI will obsolete in the coming decade. I hope the rise of AI will encourage more young people to attain valuable vocational training instead of pursuing a BA/BS that is often simply no longer a good investment.

I'm in my mid-40s, and I am not particularly concerned about an AI replacing higher-level professionals in my lifetime. VERY fortunate my folks growing up in Michigan in the 50s and 60s saw robots replace line workers in the auto industry - they encouraged me to train for a job that was unlikely to get automated. AFAIK, AI does not (yet) ask interesting, useful questions. Students answer questions while masters ask them.
You'll love how well ChatGPT did as a lawyer.

View: https://youtu.be/oqSYljRYDEM?si=JB5rtBHa1tGy9V_T

You have any idea what calculators can do? You're missing the point in that this has happened in the past and we've not worse for it. The Genie is out of the bottle and it ain't going back in.

View: https://youtu.be/XmY83eCzHwI?si=fVUL4STw8dY6cVGi

That video has literally nothing to do with ChatGPT. Your responses are always so wildly off the mark. I could say I hate France, and you'll post a video about how amazing Italy is.

That video has literally nothing to do with ChatGPT. Your responses are always so wildly off the mark. I could say I hate France, and you'll post a video about how amazing Italy is.
The point is that calculators also disrupted the learning experience and nothing happened. Also yes, that video was a joke. Are you expecting people to be dumber with ChatGPT?

Anyone using ChatGPT for their court case deserves to be removed from the practice.
Could be half joke and obviously the cherry picked case was ridiculous here, but

https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listi...IC1128808_KO0,35_KE36,54.htm?jl=1008898523685

Look at all the top law firms around the world and they will pretty much all have an AI department and hiring for it:
https://www.lw.com/en/industries/artificial-intelligence
https://dlapiperus.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/senior-llm-engineer-4766

From finding a list of relevant precedent, listen to giant amount of phone call, go through giant quantity of data the other side try to bury you with, this is a relatively long running and not new in that field, that video is 6 years old:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1dkxedBM8

Ross Intelligence: AI in the Legal Profession, AI and Legal Research​

that one 4:

View: https://youtu.be/RmpZhKjZOuU?t=1292
Legal Technology Track: How Artificial Intelligence is Affecting the Practice of Law

The point is that calculators also disrupted the learning experience and nothing happened.
Not nothing, at least if we are to believe some study, maybe even more than anyone expected to happen happened to humans using calculator:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-08955-2
Brain scan of people that use mental-abacus strategy seem to show difference, a lot of the mental trick to do calculus in head and physical object disappeared, people got much worse at it, like expected.

A bit like the worst of what the Greek feared would happen because of the youth writing-reading would happen (our memory and all the memory trick disappeared for the most part, part of the world in which paper became cheap first lost the oral history tradition and so on), the obvious negative effect of technology predicted often do occur, what would they mean for society as a whole and on balance with the much harder to imagine benefit of the new tech that's another story.

Not nothing, at least if we are to believe some study, maybe even more than anyone expected to happen happened to humans using calculator:
Does anyone take studies serious?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-08955-2
Brain scan of people that use mental-abacus strategy seem to show difference, a lot of the mental trick to do calculus in head and physical object disappeared, people got much worse at it, like expected.
If you do something often enough then your brain will adjust. Do we really need peoples brains adjusted for stuff that is now considered unimportant? I took Calculus classes and I'm pretty sure I forgot everything I learned. You know how many teachers were upset when Wikipedia came out? I remember being told that real research was done at the library reading books, using the Dewey Decimal system. Google now rewires your brain. There's a lot of stuff they want you to learn that really isn't important. To some people it's really important, but those same people are also employed doing this. Call it what it is, an article that's meant to get you upset with a click bait subject about AI, because AI is now on everyone's lips.
A bit like the worst of what the Greek feared would happen because of the youth writing-reading would happen (our memory and all the memory trick disappeared for the most part, part of the world in which paper became cheap first lost the oral history tradition and so on), the obvious negative effect of technology predicted often do occur, what would they mean for society as a whole and on balance with the much harder to imagine benefit of the new tech that's another story.
I more worried about a society that's complacent with technology that's become a black box. I learned a lot about computers by just being able to build one, setup the OS, and etc. Now you get an Android or iPhone that you better not try to modify it or else. The stuff is technically cumulative which means it applies to technology even today. I feel bad for Gen Z because they missed out on this. Meanwhile schools want me to memorize every president of the United States? You think people want to know this? The only time this ever becomes useful is in a Trivia contest. No wonder people have a memory loss, because they never wanted to know this to begin with. The less time they take doing it, the more likely they won't remember it, but that's intentional. That's why students use ChatGPT.

If you do something often enough then your brain will adjust. Do we really need peoples brains adjusted for stuff that is now considered unimportant? You know how many teachers were upset when Wikipedia came out? I remember being told that real research was done at the library reading books, using the Dewey Decimal system. Google now rewires your brain. There's a lot of stuff they want you to learn that really isn't important. To some people it's really important, but those same people are also employed doing this. Call it what it is, an article that's meant to get you upset with a click bait subject about AI, because AI is now on everyone's lips.
Yes that article and the self reported and not random group assigned to use gpt study is ridiculous, brainscan as more change to point to actual things.

Is it needed, does it help, that a second step and much harder to predict and and if it did does the benefit overall worth the trade off, it seems that learning that involve multiple sense, with physical space position is sometime most people remember more, I can imagine that doing things is what you remember the most, interviewing a bridge engineer is something you remember more than books, physical books more than a webpage and so on and a webresearch more than a gpt query. It is easy to predict that extreme short content with multiple dopamine hit can lead to shorter attention span and harder long forced attention toward boring things, what are the effect of those become much harder to predict and not "scientific question".

We can imagine that In civil engineering, people will often learn roughly values and order of values for a ton of stuff that they will always use a reference for them when they want to know it and not sure anyway, to have a gut feeling that something is wrong by just looking at someone else plan you need to have a lot of knowledge without having to look anywhere, same will be true in just less obvious way about everything in life.

To take your wikipedia article, we can imagine most of the things teacher did not like about it became true maybe worse than the worse fears, the consequence of those things becoming true that such a different things to try to predict.

I more worried about a society that's complacent with technology that's become a black box. I learned a lot about computers by just being able to build one, setup the OS, and etc
Phone were an enthusiast affair, people were in clubs, knew how they worked and became black box, microwave are black box, at first with cars you either were a mechanics-enthusiast or had one at your service (maybe an exaggeration) they became overtime blackbox for most users, planes, many tech become black box over time, we remark it for computer because we lived through and were enthusiast but that probably just the norm, lot of watches users they not knew how they worked once they became just normal easy to use machine.

Meanwhile schools want me to memorize every president of the United States? You think people want to know this? The only time this ever becomes useful is in a Trivia contest.
Or they want you to develop memory tricks, train the brain and use anything as an excuse.

Yes that article and the self reported and not random group assigned to use gpt study is ridiculous, brainscan as more change to point to actual things.

Is it needed, does it help, that a second step and much harder to predict and and if it did does the benefit overall worth the trade off, it seems that learning that involve multiple sense, with physical space position is sometime most people remember more, I can imagine that doing things is what you remember the most, interviewing a bridge engineer is something you remember more than books, physical books more than a webpage and so on and a webresearch more than a gpt query. It is easy to predict that extreme short content with multiple dopamine hit can lead to shorter attention span and harder long forced attention toward boring things, what are the effect of those become much harder to predict and not "scientific question".

We can imagine that In civil engineering, people will often learn roughly values and order of values for a ton of stuff that they will always use a reference for them when they want to know it and not sure anyway, to have a gut feeling that something is wrong by just looking at someone else plan you need to have a lot of knowledge without having to look anywhere, same will be true in just less obvious way about everything in life.

To take your wikipedia article, we can imagine most of the things teacher did not like about it became true maybe worse than the worse fears, the consequence of those things becoming true that such a different things to try to predict.

Phone were an enthusiast affair, people were in clubs, knew how they worked and became black box, microwave are black box, at first with cars you either were a mechanics-enthusiast or had one at your service (maybe an exaggeration) they became overtime blackbox for most users, planes, many tech become black box over time, we remark it for computer because we lived through and were enthusiast but that probably just the norm, lot of watches users they not knew how they worked once they became just normal easy to use machine.

Or they want you to develop memory tricks, train the brain and use anything as an excuse.

Google launches Code Assist, its latest challenger to GitHub’s Copilot​

https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/09/g...ist-its-latest-challenger-to-githubs-copilot/

Does anyone take studies serious?

If you do something often enough then your brain will adjust. Do we really need peoples brains adjusted for stuff that is now considered unimportant? I took Calculus classes and I'm pretty sure I forgot everything I learned. You know how many teachers were upset when Wikipedia came out? I remember being told that real research was done at the library reading books, using the Dewey Decimal system. Google now rewires your brain. There's a lot of stuff they want you to learn that really isn't important. To some people it's really important, but those same people are also employed doing this. Call it what it is, an article that's meant to get you upset with a click bait subject about AI, because AI is now on everyone's lips.

I more worried about a society that's complacent with technology that's become a black box. I learned a lot about computers by just being able to build one, setup the OS, and etc. Now you get an Android or iPhone that you better not try to modify it or else. The stuff is technically cumulative which means it applies to technology even today. I feel bad for Gen Z because they missed out on this. Meanwhile schools want me to memorize every president of the United States? You think people want to know this? The only time this ever becomes useful is in a Trivia contest. No wonder people have a memory loss, because they never wanted to know this to begin with. The less time they take doing it, the more likely they won't remember it, but that's intentional. That's why students use ChatGPT.

Meta confirms that its Llama 3 open source LLM is coming in the next month

https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/09/m...-open-source-llm-is-coming-in-the-next-month/

Meta Announces New MTIA AI Accelerator with Improved Performance to Ease NVIDIA's Grip

by AleksandarK Today, 05:12 Discuss (17 Comments)
Meta has announced the next generation of its Meta Training and Inference Accelerator (MTIA) chip, which is designed to train and infer AI models at scale. The newest MTIA chip is a second-generation design of Meta's custom silicon for AI, and it is being built on TSMC's 5 nm technology. Running at the frequency of 1.35 GHz, the new chip is getting a boost to 90 Watts of TDP per package compared to just 25 Watts for the first-generation design. Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms (BLAS) processing is where the chip shines, and it includes matrix multiplication and vector/SIMD processing. At GEMM matrix processing, each chip can process 708 TeraFLOPS at INT8 (presumably meant FP8 in the spec) with sparsity, 354 TeraFLOPS without, 354 TeraFLOPS at FP16/BF16 with sparsity, and 177 TeraFLOPS without.

Classical vector and processing is a bit slower at 11.06 TeraFLOPS at INT8 (FP8), 5.53 TeraFLOPS at FP16/BF16, and 2.76 TFLOPS single-precision FP32. The MTIA chip is specifically designed to run AI training and inference on Meta's PyTorch AI framework, with an open-source Triton backend that produces compiler code for optimal performance. Meta uses this for all its Llama models, and with Llama3 just around the corner, it could be trained on these chips. To package it into a system, Meta puts two of these chips onto a board and pairs them with 128 GB of LPDDR5 memory. The board is connected via PCIe Gen 5 to a system where 12 boards are stacked densely. This process is repeated six times in a single rack for 72 boards and 144 chips in a single rack for a total of 101.95 PetaFLOPS, assuming linear scaling at INT8 (FP8) precision. Of course, linear scaling is not quite possible in scale-out systems, which could bring it down to under 100 PetaFLOPS per rack.
lhIezLPYeiFFQi7j_thm.jpg WsNvzafAuLcowhL0_thm.jpg 2yrF6OtfbaYxPHZE_thm.jpg

Specialized in a subject, yes. But still able to string together a coherent sentence without help from a fucking AI. Isn't that the hallmark of an educated person throughout the ages? Being literate and able to communicate effectively is the basic standard regardless of what major you went for.
We learn to do that throughout the first 12 years of our education. Why is more needed in college or university? I understand teaching something like technical writing if you're going into a field that requires it, but why do you need to be beaten over the head again with basic writing skill as a fucking adult?

Look, I understand that many people over the age of the 40 don't have a solid grasp on their first language anymore, and I deal with it on a weekly basis from people in my own organization writing e-mails who are way above my pay grade. But that is an issue that the individual has. They have the knowledge to write coherently, as (hopefully) all of us who have graduated from high school do, they just choose not to.

I've been "challenging" 10+ Ai systems where I have free / limited token accounts & asking difficult / expert / industry specific questions that I already know the answer to & it has been - weird.

Replies have been sad & funny & shameful for some tools, along with meaningless superficial BS & an odd dollop of perspective sometimes that gives the bland reply a brownie point.

It's hard to describe, but I wonder if you guys have done something similar? I'm not asking software / web dev type q's, but very "standard" industry spec stuff & most Ai is lame.

At least for me, when AI does math like this I will always have trust issues with the algorithms that are out there right now.
Math cannot really be done well from pure LLM (they need calculator and other plugin) maybe for a while or forever, LLM are much better for either things that do not need to be actually precise (text-image, etc..) or if that they need to be like code can be validated to detect if it work or not (compiler-running a test suite), for lot of stuff it will need to talk with specialized sub-agents (Math, physic, chemical) that have none LLM part to either participate to the generation or validate it, GPT-5 will apparently sometime ask itself the question 10,000 time and use a validation tools to take the best of the 10,000 answer, which will remove the very common scenario that we have now, now you can ask it are you sure and it will often correct itself, being able to find something better or an error in their previous answer.

I'm not asking software / web dev type q's, but very "standard" industry spec stuff & most Ai is lame.
Mostly just for software dev stuff, which could be an important distinction, the amount of easily available online content in that space is particularly giant making them particularly good at it and the scenarios can be fully well content versus dealing with the physical world.

Last edited:
I recently used ChatGPT to generate additional exam questions for a cert. I did about 500 questions that were included in practice tests I purchased, then probably another additional 100 though GPT 4.

It was helpful, though tended to drift towards the easier side because it liked to write very clearly and unambiguously (unlike the test, which was occasionally vague with the intent to trip you up) and didn't seem fantastic at creating questions with nuance - for example 2 answers being technically correct, but you need to pick the better option.

Nevertheless, it's also quite nice that you can just interrupt at any time and have it elaborate or focus on particular sections. I would probably use it again for this purpose. Plus I could throw my notes at it and have it sanity check, reformat or simplify to make it easier to review.

I found this is basically where it was in its element, and ran into zero instances of it giving suspicious/hallucinated responses.

Back