Case intake fan setup (airflow vs. static pressure)

Sumanji

Limp Gawd
Fan manufacturers seem to broadly have two types of fan: 1) AF - optimized for higher airflow but with lower static pressure, 2) SP - higher static pressure, traded off for lower airflow.

Typically it seems like the the AF fans are positioned as case fans, and the SP fans for heatsinks/radiators.

However, reading around it seemed like people fancy the SP fans as intakes, especially when pulling through a front dust filter or restrictive front panel (higher pressure more useful in this scenario?).

What experience/opinions do y'all have?

Well, you'll probably get a ton of opinions on this subject, some claiming they can actually tell the difference, and others saying that, with a few possible exceptions, the differences are pretty small in real world uses, regardless of what the spec sheets may say....

One thing that is a near constant is that higher airflow almost always = more noise. If that is not an issue for you & your particular use case, then I generally recommend going for the AF models, otherwise stick with the SP versions :)

Personally, I have used both kinds for both purposes in many different builds with various cases over the years, and at most, I noticed only a few degrees of temp drops and/or noise level differences with the AF fans vs. SP's...and in most mid or full towers, it won't really matter much, but in mini-type towers, it probably will...

And I have used many different brands & models of fans in many different configurations, but that's just my experiences, whatever that may be worth :D

Every case is different. Pun intended. We can debate endlessly based on theories. Do some real world testing. I use the thermal probe on my DMM, a couple small thermometers at key places inside the case. Employ an incense or cigarette to do smoke tests of airflow patterns. May be surprised at what you'll find. Air can be drawn in and out of places you might not expect. Even USB ports and gaps around panels.

Back