Broken M.2 slot. Safe to boot?

I just can't fathom sometimes. Like these drives are literally about as easy as it comes, you just slot it in there, and to take it out is very simple. It's not like a GPU slot where I see lots of idiots just RIP it out because they can't seem to operate a simple latch.
Gigantic gpu heatsinks and cpu heatsinks can make it a major pain to unlatch PCIE latches, I have built ~jigs to facilitate this a few times, my favorite way being to use the noctua screwdriver and some heat to add a bit of a hook to it.

Does the tool cost more than the board?
A low wattage iron should cost much.
I would practice it on other electronics you don't want before touching the MOBO so you know how it handles. Also a magnifying glass so you don't how solder bridges.

Too many pins for an iron to effectively heat all the pads simultaneously so that no pads will be ripped from main board on lift off of the socket. Need to preheat the board and use hot air after sufficiently shielding the surrounding components from being cooked.

Too many pins for an iron to effectively heat all the pads simultaneously so that no pads will be ripped from main board on lift off of the socket. Need to preheat the board and use hot air after sufficiently shielding the surrounding components from being cooked.
Yep. Heat gun required to get that off correctly.

Thickness of modern boards with multiple layers make for great heat sinking capabilities. I wouldn't attempt that socket removal without preheating it and my hot air station.

Gigantic gpu heatsinks and cpu heatsinks can make it a major pain to unlatch PCIE latches, I have built ~jigs to facilitate this a few times, my favorite way being to use the noctua screwdriver and some heat to add a bit of a hook to it.
It can be challenging, there is no doubt about it. I've had to do the same as you, in fact I just did when taking out my 3080 for cleaning this weekend. But I never would just rip the thing out of there, I've seen people do the same thing to the memory slots.

It can be challenging, there is no doubt about it. I've had to do the same as you, in fact I just did when taking out my 3080 for cleaning this weekend. But I never would just rip the thing out of there, I've seen people do the same thing to the memory slots.
My wife made me a keeper for it to stick to the side of my workbench instead of making another one for the nth time. I have a seasonic bag full of these screwdrivers.

Back