Best value 1080p IPS/PLS/VA currently?

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
So one of my friends is gaming on a rig that I picked out the parts for (it has a 780GTX), and he's gaming on a Samsung 204B (something I did not know at the time). The thing seems to be going out (having trouble detecting signals on the DVI port), so I just suggested he at least go to a 1080p IPS monitor over that TN panel for the improved colors and whatnot. Since he is on an old TN panel that has low refresh rate anyway, I don't think response time is anything to worry about, but I guess it's good to have a higher one for gaming anyway.

So what's the best value out there? If I had to list priorities I guess:
- Color reproduction
- Response time

Past that I don't really think it matters, though you may point out if it does and why you think it does. I haven't done much research at below 1440p lately so I'm not sure where things are at.

I considered suggesting 1440p, but I figure with the cheap prices on 1080p's it's good to use this as a stepping stone since it doesn't seem like he wants to go SLI yet. I don't think 1440p would be a reasonable jump, considering his GPU probably won't drive it that well on every game (I use 1440p with 780SLI...).

Edit: Oh, and maybe 1200p (1920x1200) as well. It's closer to his current res anyway.

Last edited:
Also why doesn't that list have a 27 inch 1080p section?

Because there aren't enough reviews of quality, PWM free 27" 1080p AHVA/IPS/PLS monitors to warrant the existence of a 27" 1080p section and VA panels have their own section. The Samsung S27D390H/590P (AD-PLS) are the only options.

An ancient 20" TN like the 204B sucks compared to most newer monitors...might as well get a VA panel like the BenQ EW2740L (or the new BL2700HT which has a height adjustable stand and should offer the same performance) or iiyama XB2783HSU (not available in North America) since the Samsung AD-PLS panels colors and black levels aren't as good and the response time difference (VA panels are slightly slower) won't matter coming from an ancient TN.

Well no I'm not saying it has to be 27 inch, I was just wondering why the section didn't exist. So, how would the 24 inch IPS/PLS for instance compare to the VA's for image quality? Any idea? I'm leaning towards suggesting the VA to him because I like the blacks on my LP2465, and I think he'll appreciate it. My Qnix is another matter.

That being said these good 1080p monitors are kind of climbing up into the 300$ and above range. It might be better to just go 1440p at this rate...

Unrelated:
Side note I remember you saying the LP2465 was wide gamut but I'm not sure what you mean, I remember looking it up and seeing it was 8 bit...

Last edited:
Usually one buys monitor for long time of use (sometimes outliving several gpu upgrades). I see little sense in getting anything less then 27" 1440p. Yes, they won't be absolutely cheapest possible like eg. 24" 1080p, but just as i don't like to save money on brakes and tires whatever car i'm driving, same way i wouldn't like to compromise when getting monitor for whatver PC i use and will use it for few years it with. Unlike 4K, 1440p also doesn't require insane priced gpu power to run, with even middlend of modern gpus being imho sufficient, and you'll soon start appreciate extra screen size and extra resolution.

So, how would the 24 inch IPS/PLS for instance compare to the VA's for image quality?

IPS/PLS=slightly better colors (1200p monitors), better viewing angles, slightly faster pixel response times but lighter black levels and more obvious white corner glow when viewed form less than 90cm/3ft away. Most of the 1080p IPS/PLS panels can only cover 89% sRGB color space coverage vs. 95%+ for the good VA panels and 1200p monitors.

The best VA panels have deeper black levels and don't use grainy matte coatings while all of the non-glossy, 1080p, 16:9 monitors do except for the Eizo EV2336. A VA panel is a better choice for an old TN user since every aspect of the VA panel should be much better while IPS/PLS glow has been known to put many TN owners off.

Side note I remember you saying the LP2465 was wide gamut but I'm not sure what you mean, I remember looking it up and seeing it was 8 bit...

Bit depth and wide gamut (bigger color spaces) are not always simultaneously related. I'm pretty sure all of the older, 24" S-PVA panels are wide gamut. Wide gamut monitors have larger color space than the color space used by consumer media. When not color managed, wide gamut monitors colors look over-saturated and inaccurate, especially greens and skin tones. Wide gamut issues can by mitigated by using color management, but it is usually only supported by work related programs like Photoshop.

left=regular monitor vs. non color managed wide gamut monitor

left wide gamut vs regular monitor displaying a show when not color managed

It's gotta be hard to get an idea of what 8bit content looks like on a 10bit monitor by looking at 10bit content on an 8bit monitor. To me the traditional comparison of the guy in the green shirt they've used the creepiest looking guy on the planet (it's actually l888bastard) to subliminally give you the idea it's bad. I continue to be shocked by the number of people that use and like their 30 inch wide gamut displays without a 10 bit card. I notice you're being awfully careful to use the words color management now. Is it ok to use 30 inch displays with a regular video card now? :D

I still haven't ever tried it. I got in trouble for being a jerk about it to turbinesairplane and now I'm wondering if I was wrong to begin with. Obviously games would probably not be color managd but iirc he/she was a code writer and assuming they used windows color management web content would be fine...

Last edited:
AMD Firepro and Nvidia Quaddro gpu's are only required to work with 10 bit content...with the few work related programs which supports 10 bit content. Aside from using a wide gamut monitor with programs which support color management, there is no way to fix the colors unless the monitor supports color space emulation/hardware calibration or has an sRGB mode (multi-input 30" Dell) with locked color controls and mediocre-average image quality. The older, non-Eizo, S-PVA 24" have useless sRGB modes.

Bit depth and wide gamut (bigger color spaces) are not always simultaneously related. I'm pretty sure all of the older, 24" S-PVA panels are wide gamut.

From HP LP2465 spec sheet: Color Gamut 72%. I am using one right now. It's sRGB.

So are the Samsung 244t and NEC LCD2470WNX, both of which I also own. My recollection is that we didn't begin to see wide gamut commonly offered until right after these models. The Samsung 245t, for instance, which coexisted with the 244t for awhile.

AMD Firepro and Nvidia Quaddro gpu's are only required to work with 10 bit content...with the few work related programs which supports 10 bit content. Aside from using a wide gamut monitor with programs which support color management, there is no way to fix the colors unless the monitor supports color space emulation/hardware calibration or has an sRGB mode (multi-input 30" Dell) with locked color controls and mediocre-average image quality. The older, non-Eizo, S-PVA 24" have useless sRGB modes.

I definitely see your points. Thanks for the reply.

From HP LP2465 spec sheet: Color Gamut 72%. I am using one right now. It's sRGB.

Exactly what I was saying.

IPS/PLS=slightly better colors (1200p monitors), better viewing angles, slightly faster pixel response times but lighter black levels and more obvious white corner glow when viewed form less than 90cm/3ft away. Most of the 1080p IPS/PLS panels can only cover 89% sRGB color space coverage vs. 95%+ for the good VA panels and 1200p monitors.

The best VA panels have deeper black levels and don't use grainy matte coatings while all of the non-glossy, 1080p, 16:9 monitors do except for the Eizo EV2336. A VA panel is a better choice for an old TN user since every aspect of the VA panel should be much better while IPS/PLS glow has been known to put many TN owners off.

Alright... now the problem is that I'm bit conflicted about whether or not to just push him towards 1440p. These good VA panels cost nearly as much as some of the lower priced 1440p panels that will be much more futureproof. I just don't know if it makes sense to tell him to go for a quality VA panel that's 300-350+$ when a good 1440p monitor can be had at around the same price range and his 780GTX won't exactly struggle with it.

BTW, the Samsung 244t spec sheet says that it is a 10-bit display. The 244t uses the same panel as the HP LP2465 (a Samsung LTM240M2 panel).

Maybe the LP2465 does 8 bit on a 10 bit panel? All depends on how they program the backend. That is strange, though.

10 bit consumer monitors use 8 Bit +FRC panels and AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quaddro gpu's are required, along with a select few work related programs to display 10 Bit content.

Last edited:
Back