Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

I just wanted to post that I ended up getting the BenQ EW2750ZL and am very pleased with it. I purchased it alongside an HP AH-IPS (LG) monitor with the expectation of sending one back. Surprisingly, it's the HP that I'm sending back.

Glad to hear !
I liked that monitor too but I am not a big fan of glossy deisgn and 90degree cables.

Can You post some pictures of black desktop at night with it (not with max brightness)
and how does it fare on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ ?

So! I finally got the Benq GW2470h !
My current screen was Dell ips u2312hm which I've used on default setting at 25% brightness.

First of all, Is there any difference what hdmi cable I will use ? Included cable is super short and I only had dvi->hdmi cable long enough and I am using that (I have e10k fiio for audio).

After connecting the screen I had to switch fo 4:4:4 full rgb pixel format in amd catalyst control center.
Also had to switch to 0-255 in the monitor setting itself as it defaults to 16-235 for some reason.
I am using standard setting and lowered brightness to 40% since it was the closest to 25% on my old screen.
The quality of anti glare is very good(its semi glossy). Can't see any grain. The quality of build is good too except wobbly stand and bezel plastic texture being darker in some places (like chap quality molding). The part that's trash is element connecting screen to stand. Its doing its work but its not greatest and You can see it bend.

Out of the box, gamma setting is too dark. The default setting of 3 out of 5 not right. Seems like 1 or 2 setting is closest to 2.2 gamma so I am using 1 but not sure yet if this gives washed out colors instead.

The picture quality itself - White is not as white as on ips but not yellow or anything. My Dell had a blue tint and nice to see it gone. The ips glow is gone too ofcourse! Finally. The screen is not pitch black at on the black desktop in night room but it looks "pitch black" in comparison to greyish blacks of u2312hm. Corners are getting a little brighter but its not like ips glow. So just to say, the panel is not perfect but black levels are very good I think. Still not where I was expecting it from some images of va monitors online. You can clearly see the glowing screen at night. It's nothing like invisible oled etc.

Input lag is very good. Can't feel it to be any slower than u2312hm. The only time I am seeing ghosting is in binding of isaac afterbirth. The characters leave red trail behind. very ugly. But its only on one background it seems. Don't see it anywhere else yet but I can already tell its going to be a problem for grey coloured games with static background.

All in all I think it was an worthy upgrade. Not by a large margin but coming from ips I gained semi glossy non grainy coating, no glow and good blacks. again - not pitch black in dark room like oled would be. Shame about poor finish quality of bezel plastic texture(maybe it can be cleaned or something?) and wobbly stand but it's all ok. Since the monitor don't rotate at all, its not going to be touched on desk. It also has vesa mount screw holes on the back so I guess some alternate stand could be used. Are there vesa stands?

edit: Also, why are some options in osd greyed out like aspect ratio? I was really hoping to use that option.. edit2: I see how it works now. On hdmi, it is only available once I am ruinning in other than 16:9 resolution. And it works. It just can't be used like dell aspect ratio to shrink 1080p to whatever ar I want.

Last edited:
Sounds good. It's nice to see VA getting better and cheaper.
I'm not surprised that it would ghost in a specific situation like this, a character with a black outline like that will bring out the slow red/brown-black response. I had an EW2430 at one point, and while it's motion performance was alright on the whole I remember a specific bloodstained swimming pool that would make the monitor do inch long smears whenever I panned away from it.

I have the Samsung S27C750 but am not sure if anything out right now would be a substantial upgrade.

I have the Samsung S27C750 but am not sure if anything out right now would be a substantial upgrade.

If you like it, keep it. At 27", the only thing available for VA users is 1080p today. While the Phillips (supposedly, I haven't used it) and the BenQ models are better, I doubt they're so much better as to warrant the "upgrade." I've seen the Samsung in a store environment and didn't dislike what I saw. But, I didn't take it home and put it through its paces either.

Glad to hear !
I liked that monitor too but I am not a big fan of glossy deisgn and 90degree cables.

Can You post some pictures of black desktop at night with it (not with max brightness)
and how does it fare on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ ?

Where did you hear that it's glossy? No part of this monitor is glossy. I'll try to get some night shots and host them. I haven't done Lagom for a specific reason. I love this monitor so far (really can't get over it), and once I spot a defect I won't be able to unsee it, so I'd rather remain ignorant.

First of all, Is there any difference what hdmi cable I will use ? Included cable is super short and I only had dvi->hdmi cable long enough and I am using that (I have e10k fiio for audio).

No, any HDMI cable should do. This monitor doesn't do anything special over 1080p60.

After connecting the screen I had to switch fo 4:4:4 full rgb pixel format in amd catalyst control center.
Also had to switch to 0-255 in the monitor setting itself as it defaults to 16-235 for some reason.

This is typical. Many PC monitors for some reason report as HDTVs via their EDID info, while some report as PC monitors. At least this generation of BenQ monitors are smart enough to make the monitor match (16-235). Prior generations would set to 0-255 on the monitor, while the driver was 16-235, causing the display to look washed out. With an Nvidia card, you can set to 0-255 on both, but every driver update (even if you don't do a clean install) will reset to 16-235 on the driver. I don't know how this works with AMD.

The only way that I know of to avoid this entirely is to use the DVI out on your GPU (if you have that, I have one on my GTX 970), with a DVI male to HDMI female adapter, and an HDMI cable. The GPU will think it's using DVI out, so 0-255 by default. No audio out, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you as you're using a USB DAC (as am I, Topping TP-30).

Out of the box, gamma setting is too dark. The default setting of 3 out of 5 not right. Seems like 1 or 2 setting is closest to 2.2 gamma so I am using 1 but not sure yet if this gives washed out colors instead.

BenQ doesn't support a 2.2 gamma setting. Their current generation monitors have the following gamma settings:
0 = 2.0 (this setting not available on all monitors)
1 = 2.1
2 = 2.3 (preferred setting, just above the desired 2.2, but slightly offset by gamma shift)
3 = 2.5 (default option, too "punchy" for me)
4 = 2.7
5 = 2.9

I recommend "2" but use what works for you.

The only time I am seeing ghosting is in binding of isaac afterbirth. The characters leave red trail behind. very ugly. But its only on one background it seems.

I watched your video, then went to the same scene on my EW2750ZL. No red trails on AMA High, but there is some regular ghosting. According to PC Monitors' review of the EW2750ZL, this was the monitor that finally got response time "right" for a VA panel, in terms of balance between ghosting and inverse ghosting. I have no complaints, and ghosting usually bugs me. That said, despite the lack of red trails, that scene in Binding of Isaac was the worst ghosting I've seen on this monitor (but again, not as bad as what you demonstrated.)

edit: Also, why are some options in osd greyed out like aspect ratio? I was really hoping to use that option.. edit2: I see how it works now. On hdmi, it is only available once I am ruinning in other than 16:9 resolution. And it works. It just can't be used like dell aspect ratio to shrink 1080p to whatever ar I want.

Go to Picture Mode and change from "Standard" to "User." This unlocks all options.

I've taken to playing my older/less demanding titles at 4k DSR if they can maintain a solid 60fps (30fps for NFS Rivals). It looks glorious. Newer titles are played at 1080p with some form of AA. Having just stepped down from a 1440p monitor that I gamed on for the last few months, I have zero complaints. I know that a lot of people feel that 1080p 27" is just too grainy, and I felt that way on my old TN panel as well. Going to glossy or semi-gloss makes a difference. Those heavy grain matte coatings make a monitor look grainier than it should.

BenQ doesn't support a 2.2 gamma setting. Their current generation monitors have the following gamma settings:
0 = 2.0 (this setting not available on all monitors)
1 = 2.1
2 = 2.3 (preferred setting, just above the desired 2.2, but slightly offset by gamma shift)
3 = 2.5 (default option, too "punchy" for me)
4 = 2.7
5 = 2.9
FWIW, it's not true that all new BenQ monitors have those corresponding gamma levels. I have an EW2750ZL, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the gamma levels are off by ~0.2 in comparison to what is stated in the PC Monitors review. So on my monitor:
1 = ~2.3 (this is the setting that I'm using, measured at 2.28 average)
2 = ~2.5
3 = ~2.7 (this is the default gamma, which is stupid)
I now target BT.1886 on all of my displays, so personally, I don't care that this monitor can't do flat 2.2. But it would have been more practical to have 0.1 steps with less range instead of 0.2 steps with an extremely high maximum gamma.
Without a meter, you can check gamma with visual patterns, like the ones available on Lagom.

Where did you hear that it's glossy? No part of this monitor is glossy.
Well, the base of the stand and the back of the monitor are both glossy black plastic.

FWIW, it's not true that all new BenQ monitors have those corresponding gamma levels. I have an EW2750ZL, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the gamma levels are off by ~0.2 in comparison to what is stated in the PC Monitors review. So on my monitor:
1 = ~2.3 (this is the setting that I'm using, measured at 2.28 average)
2 = ~2.5
3 = ~2.7 (this is the default gamma, which is stupid)

Thank you for posting that. Further evidence of panel lotteries and deviation within panels sold for the same product. It's unfortunate, because based on this thread vs. my experiences with my monitor, I CLEARLY got lucky. At the same time, my HP 25xw didn't come close to what I expected based on NCX's reviews.

I think if anything, this is just further reason to order 3x of a monitor that I want, and return the two with the lowest quality (whenever I'm in the market again).

I don't have the tools to accurately measure gamma (or anything else), which is why I clearly label my impressions as subjective usually. That said, the HP 25xw is supposedly at or near 2.2 at default settings. I found the "2" and "3 settings on the BenQ to be punchier than the HP, and the "1" setting to be duller. So, my monitor may be lined up closely with what PC Monitors reviewed.

Well, the base of the stand and the back of the monitor are both glossy black plastic.

Touche. So, if he's the kind of person that prefers staring at the back of a monitor rather than the front, that could be an issue :)

Thank you for posting that. Further evidence of panel lotteries and deviation within panels sold for the same product. It's unfortunate, because based on this thread vs. my experiences with my monitor, I CLEARLY got lucky. At the same time, my HP 25xw didn't come close to what I expected based on NCX's reviews.

I think if anything, this is just further reason to order 3x of a monitor that I want, and return the two with the lowest quality (whenever I'm in the market again).

I don't have the tools to accurately measure gamma (or anything else), which is why I clearly label my impressions as subjective usually. That said, the HP 25xw is supposedly at or near 2.2 at default settings. I found the "2" and "3 settings on the BenQ to be punchier than the HP, and the "1" setting to be duller. So, my monitor may be lined up closely with what PC Monitors reviewed.
It is (IMO) not really a problem if the gamma levels vary between units, vary between countries, or if BenQ has changed the gamma points. What is strange/bad is that BenQ sets default gamma so high and has pretty large steps between the gamma settings. The latter could be an issue for some people, but it isn't for me, since I'm basically targeting ~2.3 gamma anyway. Gamma also isn't totally flat, but since I'm not trying to hit flat gamma, that's also not an issue for me. And as mentioned, you really don't need a meter to get a reasonably accurate approximation of gamma. That can be done by simply looking at gamma test patterns.
There are no pixel problems with my EW2750ZL, and uniformity is as good as I think can be reasonably expected from an LCD. I haven't taken uniformity measurements, but to the eye, it's very good. It's easily an improvement from the 2333T I replaced, which had worse black/backlight uniformity and very noticeable white/color uniformity issues.
The thing that I have found odd about the EW2750ZL is that changing brightness (backlight) has such a dramatic impact on color temperature. I can't say with certainty that no other LCDs that I've owned have had color temp changes corresponding to changes in backlight, but I've definitely never noticed anything like this before. And it's worth noting for people who don't use a meter or reference point for color temp and want to use settings they see in a review, like the PC Monitors review. In addition to the fact that there are surely unit to unit variations in color temperature, PCM targets high brightness. If you look at their review, you'll see that they calibrated to 167 cd/m2 (~49 fL). That's significantly higher than the brightness that I use for monitors. My EW2750ZL was reasonably close to 6500K at default settings, but the brightness setting is at max (very bright) by default. FWIW, these are two measurements that I've taken on my own EW2750ZL:
Brightness: 34, Blue: 92 = ~120 cd/m2, ~6500K
Brightness: 30, Blue: 91 = ~110 cd/m2, ~6500K
Hypothetically, if someone on here is targeting say ~100 cd/m2 and plugging in the PCM blue gain setting of 95, well, good luck with that -- that would presumably result in a very cool color temperature.

Thank you for all input.
Daniel, so You sat that option 2 is gamma 2.3 ?
Could be as its little crushed in my testing scenes while option 1 which is supposedly gamma 2.1 can look washed out. Also. How can I know if my setting are like You are describing or like MechanicalMan's ?

As for the red trail, You are testing on wroong isaac! I recorded that video in isaac afterbirth at default starting floor. Also ive tested some more and ama premium reduces the trail length by good margin and picture mode photo removes its red tint. Interesting. Will have to look more.
Still bummer about lack of 2.2... Should I fiddle with default 50 contrast at all?

Also... If there is no fix for blemishes on plastic bezel(described and posted pics in new thread), i might end up returning the monitor and either getting another gw2470h or ew2750 or iiyama...

Last edited:
Thank you for all input.
Daniel, so You sat that option 2 is gamma 2.3 ?
Could be as its little crushed in my testing scenes while option 1 which is supposedly gamma 2.1 can look washed out. Also. How can I know if my setting are like You are describing or like MechanicalMan's ?
As I've mentioned, you really don't need a meter or any kind of expertise to get a good idea of what your average gamma is. Visual gamma test patterns, like these Lagom patterns or this pattern, will pretty much tell you what your average gamma is, particularly when display gamma is reasonably flat (as it basically is on the EW2750ZL). Keep in mind:
- Viewing angle obviously matters here, since it affects perceived gamma on VA displays. View the patterns from an optimal angle.
- Viewing distance is also important. Even though your typical viewing distance is surely closer, these gamma patterns are best viewed from a relatively long distance -- around ~50" should be good for the EW2750ZL.

If you want to check some "black crush" patterns, you can try these:
The turtle - I don't know the origins of this image, but I found it on this forum years ago. In simple terms, I think you want to see as much of this image as possible without being able to detect the slightly-above-black rectangle that is located in the bottom left corner. View the image off-angle on a VA monitor (or increase your display's black level), and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Lagom black level - Ideally, you would be able to differentiate all shades of this pattern from the black background without changing black point or gamma to a sub-optimal level, but that's not a realistic goal on all displays. Personally, I've used this more for checking near-black color gradation on displays that often struggle with that (plasmas).
Basic black clip pattern - This probably speaks for itself, but you should ideally be able to distinguish all shades above 16 (black) and none below it. Like the Lagom test, this can be useful for other things -- like checking near-black color temperature and/or gradation. This type of black clip test pattern, at least in video form, can also be useful for checking sharpness level on some displays -- even small amounts of artificial sharpness can cause white "borders" on the bars. This image is just a screenshot that I took of the GCD black clip pattern, which you can download for free here if you're interested.

ETA:
Still bummer about lack of 2.2... Should I fiddle with default 50 contrast at all?
No, don't mess with the contrast. If your goal is to fine-tune gamma beyond what is possible with the gamma settings, then I believe your only hope would be to play with the RGB (color temperature) settings. Displays respond differently to color temp setting changes. Don't get your hopes up, but the gamma of some displays can be manipulated through color temperature settings (i.e., it's possible that lowering the RGB settings will increase gamma -- possibly allowing you to use a gamma setting that results in a ~2.1 average gamma and then moving that gamma level up to 2.2 by lowering the RGB levels.)

Last edited:
Sounds good. It's nice to see VA getting better and cheaper.
I'm not surprised that it would ghost in a specific situation like this, a character with a black outline like that will bring out the slow red/brown-black response. I had an EW2430 at one point, and while it's motion performance was alright on the whole I remember a specific bloodstained swimming pool that would make the monitor do inch long smears whenever I panned away from it.

Came to chime in on this as well. Amazon has some BenQ VA monitors that are flicker free that only cost $139 I believe. Much better market than a couple of years ago. And that 3000:1 static, native contrast ratio. :)

As I've mentioned, you really don't need a meter or any kind of expertise to get a good idea of what your average gamma is. Visual gamma test patterns, like these Lagom patterns or this pattern, will pretty much tell you what your average gamma is, particularly when display gamma is reasonably flat (as it basically is on the EW2750ZL). Keep in mind:
- Viewing angle obviously matters here, since it affects perceived gamma on VA displays. View the patterns from an optimal angle.
- Viewing distance is also important. Even though your typical viewing distance is surely closer, these gamma patterns are best viewed from a relatively long distance -- around ~50" should be good for the EW2750ZL.

If you want to check some "black crush" patterns, you can try these:
The turtle - I don't know the origins of this image, but I found it on this forum years ago. In simple terms, I think you want to see as much of this image as possible without being able to detect the slightly-above-black rectangle that is located in the bottom left corner. View the image off-angle on a VA monitor (or increase your display's black level), and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Lagom black level - Ideally, you would be able to differentiate all shades of this pattern from the black background without changing black point or gamma to a sub-optimal level, but that's not a realistic goal on all displays. Personally, I've used this more for checking near-black color gradation on displays that often struggle with that (plasmas).
Basic black clip pattern - This probably speaks for itself, but you should ideally be able to distinguish all shades above 16 (black) and none below it. Like the Lagom test, this can be useful for other things -- like checking near-black color temperature and/or gradation. This type of black clip test pattern, at least in video form, can also be useful for checking sharpness level on some displays -- even small amounts of artificial sharpness can cause white "borders" on the bars. This image is just a screenshot that I took of the GCD black clip pattern, which you can download for free here if you're interested.

ETA:

No, don't mess with the contrast. If your goal is to fine-tune gamma beyond what is possible with the gamma settings, then I believe your only hope would be to play with the RGB (color temperature) settings. Displays respond differently to color temp setting changes. Don't get your hopes up, but the gamma of some displays can be manipulated through color temperature settings (i.e., it's possible that lowering the RGB settings will increase gamma -- possibly allowing you to use a gamma setting that results in a ~2.1 average gamma and then moving that gamma level up to 2.2 by lowering the RGB levels.)

Thanks.
Turtle image looks good to me
Lagom black level - I can see 5th block and all after it clearly with 2 gamma setting
On the basic pater test I can see 19th strip barely and then all other on same gamma 2 setting.

anyway... I have to return it because of bad plastic finish.
So the question is, do I get another one or iiyama X2483HSU-B1... and what iiyama. There are couple models with that name

Last edited:
So it looks about the same as gw2470h. About 10 ir 20 percent of what that picture shows.

Thanks! That's answer I am looking for.
Now I wonder if its better to get b1 or b2.... I have gw2470h now and it have red trailing and bad plastics.. thats why I am replacing it in first place
b2 uses 23,8 panel. The older amva panel b1 panel is discontinued now. and manufacturer names panels in iiyama b2 as VA. not amva (although it's amva on iiyama site)

Last edited:
Well the plastics and bezel are up to the display manufacturers, not the panel manufacturer.
About the red trailing - I don't know if this is BenQs fault or the new panel but probably you just got a bad apple.
Nobody tested the B2 version yet, its new.
But I have the datasheets for both panels and they have identical Rise+Fall time spec. (Tr/Tf 0-255-0 ms typ. 7/5 max. 17/7)
The final response time depends on the Overdrive implementation, which is up to the display manufacturers.
They're both AMVA+ with 72% NTSC, panelook guys were probably lazy again :p . (they had M240HVN02.1 display mode on normally white until I reminded them to change it to normally black. only TN are normally white, that's why their dead pixels are white)

Last edited:
Ok, ordered iiyama XB2483hsu-b2. We will see how iiyama calibrates the same panel as benq used in gw2470h

Yeah we'll see, I'm curious too.
If its any like the B1 version then deltaE is low and its calibrated to a flat 2.2 gamma.
If you hold Enter+Exit while turning it on you should be able to get into the service menu and confirm panel used and firmware version.

btw. Why is there so little info and reviews about iiyama xb2483hsu monitor online ? b1 have been out for more than a year and now b2 is coming out. By some opinions I found online it sounds like one of best va/amva screens. Why is it that I can only find opinions on russian forums even tho its a japanese product ?

iiyama monitors are not available in North America, also regular 1080p monitors are not often reviewed because there are so many of them

There are still some reviews though, mainly the =Dead= review in the first post
hardware.info tested both the xb24 and x24, and reviewed the xb24
There is also a review on ixbt.com
On amazon.co.jp and .de there are some customer reviews
Prad and digitalversus reviewed the 27'' version

They have been selling iiyama monitora here as long as I remember and are very well regarded in Poland. Konda shame they never expanded. Its ine of few companies that makes only computer monitors

OK.
The iiyama XB2483HSU-B2 is here.
So my very initial impressions:

-No build quality problems, everything is great
-Stand is great
-OSD looks bad but is much much faster than benq
-Colors are bit different than benq gw2470h. Maybe it's better calibrated. Seems more vibrant maybe
-Now, the GHOSTING. My binding of isaac test shows RED ghosting just like on benq. BUT - Overdrive 3 remove all of ghosting AT ALL. Or at least limits it beyond what ama premium could do and there seems to be no overshoot. Is there any negative to using overdrive 3? It was not turned on by default.

Black bakgrounds seem about as deep as benq. Wil; be testing more

Ok that's interesting, cause the B1 doesn't show any red trails with Isaac even with Overdrive Off.
You can test here, to see if Overdrive 3 causes too much overshoot/bright trails:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

You can also try both DVI and HDMI and see if it makes any difference.
In case of the B1, overclocking reduces the overshoot.
Above 70hz OD3 is fine, but for 60hz I prefer OD1-OD2
VA Panel when turned on for the very first time might also need ~3-4 hours warm up time for response times to settle.

The ufo demo looks fine. No red trailing on those colors.
As for the overdrive and overshoot. There is a tiny bit of overshoot on the third row of racing ufo's. But only a tiny bit. nothing like ama high on benq.
On ufo 1 and 2, the trail just gets shorter.

It seems like red ghosting is a new "feature" of 23,8 panel used in both benq and iiyama b2 model. But iiyama makes better work with it. But only on overdrive 3.
Interesting. As for now, I am more impressed with iiyama.

It's weird that contrast on defaut is set to 80. Shoudl I change it?
Also, there are no black level settings and no gamma settings in osd. But gamma seems to be hard set to 2.2 according to 25% lagom lcd test

Here is OD3@60hz on B1, well warmed up:
http://i.imgur.com/Fnnj2SL.jpg
Very little trailing, but some overshoot on ufo 2 and 3
Seems the new panel behaves a bit differently.

You should be able to increase contrast up to 85
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
254 pattern should still be barely visible

Due to the lackluster iiyama OSD you're stuck with 2.2 gamma.
In absence of calibration device or other than just using graphics card drivers I prefer to run the standard windows calibration and then fine-tune the resulting curve using Calibrilla

Last edited:
85 seems to be heading into crushing territory. I guess old settings do not apply to b2.
and 254 pattern is not visible on either default or 85 contrast

Btw. With that iiyama... when console (360 in that case) is connnected via hdmi, I should set console displayb settings to expanded(0-255) rgb ? Is that what monitor is expecting from the console? Or is monitor switching to tv black levels when connected via hdmi?

Anywa, I am really happy with the monitor. It even have stupid speakers which, audio line in and out! Really good array of connections. Running pc and console on one monitor was never easier for me

Sorry cannot help you with that, I have no console to connect it to.
But it should be really obvious if the levels are at the wrong setting (either washed out or massive black crush)
The speakers are really bad though, just good enough for simple windows sounds and Skype.

Strange about white levels. You should get them to reappear, if you push down the uppermost part of the gamma curve with Calibrilla.
I've even managed to make one heavily bent gamma curve that is able to show the 254 grey when contrast is set to 100.
But still, it shouldn't have failed that test at out of box settings.

85, default:
http://i.imgur.com/mIU9sWj.jpg
85, very mild compensation:
http://i.imgur.com/4q5AItj.jpg
100, heavy compensation (gradient still ok):
http://i.imgur.com/u6WrVHx.jpg

Last edited:
It does starting to appear at higher contrast but barely. Might want to check some settings tomorrow. I need to go to sleep and then to work :p

Btw. What was the problem in one of the reviews with this monitor? Something about contrast being lower when using some settings ?

Btw. What was the problem in one of the reviews with this monitor? Something about contrast being lower when using some settings ?

I believe =Dead= could not get a perfect gamma on his samples, so to pass UGRA test without calibration he had to set contrast (white level) to 47 and (backlight) brightness to 100 and this resulted in 1200:1 contrast at 100cd/m².

Last edited:
Interesting.
So as long as I keep contrast at default 80 or higher and brightness below 40%, I will be getting above 3000:1 ?

This is a monitor for me actually. So little options so I can't screw anything up :p

There is also acr option which I guess is dynamic contrast. And I found a bug when testing it. Afer enabling and disabling it, contrast didnt restored back to proper values and I had to reset settings.
There are also few presets but mostly useless as in every monitor.
In color mode, a temperature can be choosen. Default setting is "custom" with each rgb color set to 100. Setting to 6500k seems to not change anything.

Yeah, probably something between 3400:1 at 80, 3600:1 at 85 and around 4000:1 (?) at 100 contrast with anti white-crush compensation.
If its like the BenQ the new 23.8 panel has deeper blacks so it may be slightly higher on yours. (I have no way to test)

ACR is only good for viewing bright photos. Mostly unusable and overexposing dark areas, like almost every dynamic contrast setting.

No problems with settings not restoring/working here, except for sharpness which it forgets when turning off monitor (but default setting is good anyway)

Best to use custom color values. Initially I set mine to 93/96/99 to get rid of slight red tint. Now after 7000 hours the color temperature drifted slightly and I put it to 98/97/99.
I believe my contrast and black uniformity also increased slightly but again I have no way to test.

Last edited:
Yeah, probably something between 3400:1 at 80, 3600:1 at 85 and around 4000:1 at 100 contrast with anti white-crush compensation.
If its like the BenQ the new 23.8 panel has deeper blacks so it may be slightly higher on yours. (I have no way to test)

ACR is only good for viewing bright photos. Mostly unusable and overexposing dark areas, like almost every dynamic contrast setting.

No problems with settings not restoring/working here, except for sharpness which it forgets when turning off monitor (but default setting is good anyway)

Best to use custom color values. Initially I set mine to 93/96/99 to get rid of slight red tint. Now after 7000 hours the color temperature drifted slightly and I put it to 98/97/99.
I believe my contrast and black uniformity also increased slightly but again I have no way to test.

If you enable DDC/CI you can control the settings via sceenbright in windows and don't have to enter the OSD
http://www.overclock.net/t/1262322/guide-display-control-via-windows-brightness-contrast-etc-ddc-ci

So found out something interesting about contrast and acr function with that iiyama b2.
Contrast above 80, makes white squares text on lagom lcd disappear more.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

79 contrast is the best but last square is still still not visible.
But ACR bug is even weirder.
here are 3 screenshots. 40 brightness, 80 contrast.
acr off, then on, then off
http://imgur.com/a/QrXEW

ACR among other things dynamically modifies the gamma curve so the light grey tones become more distinct against white backgrounds.
Similar effect can be recreated with Calibrilla, its what I did when applying the gamma compensation.
Not sure about the ACR bug..maybe there is an issue and it forgets to properly reset the gamma to what it was before.

Last edited:
Back