Best data recovery software for deleted partitions?

FlawleZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Accidently deleted the partitions on the wrong drive when installing Windows. I've tried several of the basic recovery solutions and it seems they are not able to find much of anything. I believe it was Acronis I used long ago that worked to recover data that other products could not, but that may have been back in the HDD days and this one is an SSD, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

I would try out EaseUS Partition Recovery, I think free trial mode should work? I've had good luck with their tools for different things.

I would try out EaseUS Partition Recovery, I think free trial mode should work? I've had good luck with their tools for different things.
Tried that one already and it wasn't able to recover any data :-/

Mini tool partition wizard works quite well for data recovery. I recovered a students term paper that was thought lost when the partition was accidentally deleted by her boyfriend.

TestDisk is what I'd use. If that works to restore your partitions, great. If not, the same people also do PhotoRec, which will help extract your files from the wreckage. Do yourself a favor and make an image of the full disk as it is now, and practice using the restoration tools on the image, not the original.

If you haven't overwritten it, and know the partition type and size, sometimes it's as simple as recreating the original partition table.

Of course, sometimes that doesn't work, and you end up with a bunch of unnamed files or nothing at all. Whatever you do, don't take stabs in the dark -- make sure you understand what the tool you are using does before you hit "go!" ;)

Thanks all for the contribution. Will try a couple of these solutions this week and report back.

Zero assumption recovery can recover partitions, recover files, recover file fragments and all sorts of other stuff at quite a low level. I've recovered wedding photos and other things from lost partitions on drives using it.

Zar has been replaced by klennet recovery https://www.klennet.com/klennet-recovery/

Last edited:
DMDE performed miracles on my latest dying HDD that lost partition information and would barely initialize at all.

...but that may have been back in the HDD days and this one is an SSD, if that matters.

Assuming Windows, two important things should be done ASAP:

1. Disable TRIM in the OS immediately

In Windows, open an elevated Powershell (Admin) prompt - and note this takes effect immediately, no reboot required:
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1

Post-recovery, TRIM can be re-enabled with fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

2. Disable automatic volume repair (which is a terrible default "feature" to begin with, as Windows will stealth-nuke volumes that it *thinks* are corrupt but aren't necessarily, complicating a recovery needlessly)
Open elevated (admin) command prompt, and issue:
bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled no

To verify it's disabled ("recoveryenabled = No") :
bcdedit | find "recoveryenabled"

Last edited:
In order of ease of use
  1. Disk Drill
  2. R-Studio www.r-studio.com
  3. Getdataback Pro www.runtime.org
  4. UFS-Explorer www.ufsexplorer.com
  5. DMDE www.dmde.com
I'd suggest avoiding Easeus products altogether, for reasons that would require a separate thread for the discussion. It's far too invasive (permanently installs shit-processes on your PC), and the pricing at least for the DR software is also obnoxious ($50 for a one-month rental, yet performs worse than the same $50 spent on a lifetime license for one of the other products).

Last edited:
In order of ease of use
  1. Raise Data Recovery www.raisedr.com
  2. R-Studio www.r-studio.com
  3. Getdataback Pro www.runtime.org
  4. UFS-Explorer www.ufsexplorer.com
  5. DMDE www.dmde.com
I've used all except the first one, and found them consistently better (more files recovered from the same drive) than Easeus. I'd suggest avoiding Easeus products altogether, for reasons that would require a separate thread for the discussion. It's far too invasive (installs a bunch of shit/processes on your PC), and the pricing at least for the DR software is also obnoxious ($50 for a one-month rental, yet performs worse than the same $50 spent on a lifetime license for one of the other products).
Thanks for the additional info and recommendations. I can say I've tried 3-4 different programs so far without any luck yet.

Thanks for the additional info and recommendations. I can say I've tried 3-4 different programs so far without any luck yet.
Not sure if you gave up yet, but did you try Disk Drill? www.cleverfiles.com/data-recovery-software.html

I'd forgotten to mention that one, but I've used it a few times recently and it has a few features that gives it an edge over some of the others (all these tools essentially do the same thing - scan the disk looking for signatures of known filetypes, and then attempting to reconstruct the original folder structure, or as close to it as possible. Disk Drill seemed to do this a little better than others).

Last edited:
Did you manage to recover the data?

SalvageData could be worth a shot. I've used it before when I needed to recover photos from a busted hard disk, and it managed to pull through.

Back