ASUS Settles FTC Charges Over Insecure Home Routers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Taiwan-based computer hardware maker ASUSTeK Computer, Inc. has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that critical security flaws in its routers put the home networks of hundreds of thousands of consumers at risk. The administrative complaint also charges that the routers’ insecure “cloud” services led to the compromise of thousands of consumers’ connected storage devices, exposing their sensitive personal information on the internet. The proposed consent order will require ASUS to establish and maintain a comprehensive security program subject to independent audits for the next 20 years.

I thought we were in the age that no information is private any more? I mean, almost every app on the cell phone requires you to give up everything. Flashlight apps require full access to the microphone and camera...? For instance, a lot of people here support the idea of no privacy with regards to Windows 10. So I don't get why we should worry about security flaws any more. Case dismissed?

Is this fixed? Are they safe now? Including older routers?

I really hope they get those routers some therapy, there's no reason why anyone should have to go through life feeling insecure.

Back